• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

noobie OA question #2: someone talk me OFF THE LEDGE!

94 posts in this topic

For me, I have an extremely narrowed focus: TMNT. I collect nothing else (though I do enjoy reading other titles- just don't collect them).

So its easy for me to do both, collect slabs and art. The art, though, is really where my heart is and there are a few pieces that will probably stay with me forever while the slabs I'd be alot more willing to part with.

Just like whats been said above, theres something about owning a 1 of 1 piece of art from a book that you care about. It IS addictive though, and will probably be the most money you'll ever spend in the hobby (and ever thought you'd spend). But in the end its completely worth it. Especially if you can frame up a few pieces and display them as I've recently done with a few pieces.

My advice: be selective!

Yes, pick the brains of the experts here. I don't know where I would be without early advice from Chris Caira. He didn't tell me what to buy, but gave me a lot of advice on what to look for when buying art such as if it's a blue line or original etc and tons of things I wouldn't have thought of.

Anytime bud, always glad to help. (thumbs u

C

original is pencil on board, blue line is a photocopy. If you copy pencils, they come out blue. Now some people like EVS use blue pencil, but most of the time if you see blue it's a copy. I think also when the page is printed for the book, they can turn off the blue so the lines dont show on the comic.

original is pencil on board, blue line is a photocopy. If you copy pencils, they come out blue. Now some people like EVS use blue pencil, but most of the time if you see blue it's a copy. I think also when the page is printed for the book, they can turn off the blue so the lines dont show on the comic.

Exactly - a lot of the art that I own has blue corrections, comments, etc, in the sidebar which won't show when they're being shot & printed.

I know Ron Frenz was known to use blue pencils. I had my Frenz page has them and was confirmed by him (through his rep) that it was all done in blue pencil for the reasons mschmidt stated about production. I thought it was kind of cool cause I had never heard of this beforehand. :) But yeah, definitely something to check up to be safe.

all of the invincible pages i've owned have blue pencil under the inks...

Blue pencil is not a blue line copy.

Blue pencil is used by some artists because it doesn't reproduce when shot for publication. The inker can finish off the piece however he/she feels fit and doesn't have to worry about making erasures.

Now a blue line copy is when someone takes the original pencils of a piece and scans them and prints out a a copy where the pencils were rendered in a blue color so that they could then ink the piece while not actually having or altering the original pencil version.

For published art folks that are new to the hobby should be aware that if they purchase a "blue line inked" piece they aren't getting original pencils. They are getting an inked piece but somewhere out there the pencils are floating around.

Some people do this intentionally.

Christmas 2007 I was given this wonderful Ivan Reis Sinestro piece as a gift.

(Ivan added the little yellow pencil touches on this original)

IvanReisSinestro_02-16-2009_13-02-44.jpg

Then a few days later I was discussing the piece with Kevin Nowlan and it turns out he is a giant fan of Ivan's work. We talked it over and Kevin agreed to ink the piece for me.

Since the pencils were pristine and complete it would have been a tragedy to lose them. Instead I emailed a Hi Res scan of the piece to Kevin who printed out the pencils (in blue line) onto an 11x17 art board and inked over the blue line.

This was the end result:

IvanReisSinestroNowlanLow_02-16-2009_13-09-41.jpg

So by using the Blue Line technology I was able to get a wonderful combination of penciller and inker without losing or destroying the gorgeous pencil work.

It's a nice tool to use but when you are buying artwork you have to be aware of what you are buying because it can greatly effect cost and value.

Best,

Chris

all of the invincible pages i've owned have blue pencil under the inks...

Blue pencil is not a blue line copy.

Blue pencil is used by some artists because it doesn't reproduce when shot for publication. The inker can finish off the piece however he/she feels fit and doesn't have to worry about making erasures.

Now a blue line copy is when someone takes the original pencils of a piece and scans them and prints out a a copy where the pencils were rendered in a blue color so that they could then ink the piece while not actually having or altering the original pencil version.

For published art folks that are new to the hobby should be aware that if they purchase a "blue line inked" piece they aren't getting original pencils. They are getting an inked piece but somewhere out there the pencils are floating around.

Some people do this intentionally.

Christmas 2007 I was given this wonderful Ivan Reis Sinestro piece as a gift.

(Ivan added the little yellow pencil touches on this original)

IvanReisSinestro_02-16-2009_13-02-44.jpg

Then a few days later I was discussing the piece with Kevin Nowlan and it turns out he is a giant fan of Ivan's work. We talked it over and Kevin agreed to ink the piece for me.

Since the pencils were pristine and complete it would have been a tragedy to lose them. Instead I emailed a Hi Res scan of the piece to Kevin who printed out the pencils (in blue line) onto an 11x17 art board and inked over the blue line.

This was the end result:

IvanReisSinestroNowlanLow_02-16-2009_13-09-41.jpg

So by using the Blue Line technology I was able to get a wonderful combination of penciller and inker without losing or destroying the gorgeous pencil work.

It's a nice tool to use but when you are buying artwork you have to be aware of what you are buying because it can greatly effect cost and value.

Best,

Chris

wow! amazing story and even more amazing piece!

now i understand the difference :)

thank you!

Personally I won't buy pencils only, just my preference. I'll take them as prelims if they are cheap but won't pay premium. You really need to learn yourself on modern stuff as there are lots of artists who draw, blow up the scan, fax to inker who then inks and faxes into company. You end up with a pencil page that may or may not be original and an inked page over "blue lines" which is just a really nice inked copy.

Lots to learn, some artists (Mahnke) still do it the old way, inks over original pencils, some like barry kitson will do a small rough, blow it up, pencil over it and then fax to inker. Nowadays I try to get Kitson pieces that he has inked himself, so at least I get all parts to it.

Most art from the 90's and earlier is inks over pencil, but do your homework.

whew.

I was against pencils only but I did pick up a nice Darth Vader piece. I would pick up others but not go crazy. Some of them are just too light, especially for the price. Paintings rock. .

(thumbs u

Great thread Colin! Lots of valuable advice from experts here (worship)

__

I'm a die-hard GA collector :sumo: but often intrigued by the ongoings of the OA market hm

In the recent ComicLink auction, however, I was drawn to a piece of OA that I believe embodies many favorite attributes from GA 'classic covers': bondage, headlights, skulls, hooded menaces, torture, Frazetta-inspired art, etc.

Here's the page-- actually, the cover-- from King Conan #8 (1981) that I won. For me, John Buscema's art has a vintage quality and the splash image -- dare I say-- recalls Schomburg's classic Suspense #3:

3371392810_42e012f4e9_b.jpg

3383109616_3eae92bd73.jpg

Impulsive buy? You bet! But if a few OA pieces can greatly enhance my GA comics collecting experience, I might be tempted to dive in a bit deeper... :grin:

GE

Great thread Colin! Lots of valuable advice from experts here (worship)

__

I'm a die-hard GA collector :sumo: but often intrigued by the ongoings of the OA market hm

In the recent ComicLink auction, however, I was drawn to a piece of OA that I believe embodies many favorite attributes from GA 'classic covers': bondage, headlights, skulls, hooded menaces, torture, Frazetta-inspired art, etc.

Here's the page-- actually, the cover-- from King Conan #8 (1981) that I won. For me, John Buscema's art has a vintage quality and the splash image -- dare I say-- recalls Schomburg's classic Suspense #3:

3371392810_42e012f4e9_b.jpg

3383109616_3eae92bd73.jpg

Impulsive buy? You bet! But if a few OA pieces can greatly enhance my GA comics collecting experience, I might be tempted to dive in a bit deeper... :grin:

GE

:hi: GE!!

awesome piece!! i've always been a fan of buscema (i was a v3 surfer kid growing up, so i have huge appreciation for his v1 surfer work)....