• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

noobie OA question #2: someone talk me OFF THE LEDGE!

94 posts in this topic

the idea of selling most of my slabs and scoring a ton of OA has crossed my mind FAR TOO OFTEN as of late...i really dig me some slabs, but there's something about OA that's got me by the short hairs..

maybe the allure of only one copy in existence, maybe the idea that the artist actually put his work onto the page in front of me, maybe it's just the fact that OA looks damn good on my wall! lol

anyway, couldn't think of a better place to ask this noobie OA question:

how many of you made the cross from collecting mostly slabs to mostly OA?

there won't ever be a day when i can still breathe and WON"T own a slab, but man...i just keep finding more and more OA that i want, and the number of desirable slabs keeps getting lower and lower (probably because i collect moderns)...the boxes of CGC books in my closet keeps growing, but at the end of the day, that's where they stay...in my closet collecting dust until i sell them.

obviously you have to collect what you're passionate about, and i am still deeply passionate about the handful of titles that i collect like a mad man...so it's not a question of 'i'm sick of slabs, i want OA'...but more along the lines of how many of you have gone from collecting 90% slabs 9% raw and 1% OA to 50% slabs and 50% OA, or 90% OA and 10% slabs?

anyway, someone talk me off the ledge before i cross over to the dark side completely (:

the idea of selling most of my slabs and scoring a ton of OA has crossed my mind FAR TOO OFTEN as of late...i really dig me some slabs, but there's something about OA that's got me by the short hairs..

maybe the allure of only one copy in existence, maybe the idea that the artist actually put his work onto the page in front of me, maybe it's just the fact that OA looks damn good on my wall! lol

anyway, couldn't think of a better place to ask this noobie OA question:

how many of you made the cross from collecting mostly slabs to mostly OA?

there won't ever be a day when i can still breathe and WON"T own a slab, but man...i just keep finding more and more OA that i want, and the number of desirable slabs keeps getting lower and lower (probably because i collect moderns)...the boxes of CGC books in my closet keeps growing, but at the end of the day, that's where they stay...in my closet collecting dust until i sell them.

obviously you have to collect what you're passionate about, and i am still deeply passionate about the handful of titles that i collect like a mad man...so it's not a question of 'i'm sick of slabs, i want OA'...but more along the lines of how many of you have gone from collecting 90% slabs 9% raw and 1% OA to 50% slabs and 50% OA, or 90% OA and 10% slabs?

anyway, someone talk me off the ledge before i cross over to the dark side completely (:

It's easy once you start...

I sold off X-men 1-70 CGC 9.0 or better and X_men 71-143 CGC 9.4 or better over the course of a year to put in into artwork.

It was an easy call. If you have slabs where there are dozens of that same issue...or the chance to get the original cover or splash page from that issue where there is only one...why would you hold back.

You can replace the comics almost every time.

The artwork on the other hand? No chance.

C

I collected comics, I even searched and coveted a grail for me; a copy of Captain America #1. A rare and buried treasure in my mind, as I'd never seen a copy. Then I went to San Diego my first time about 15 years ago and perused the room. There were 5 copies in various degree at different dealer booths. My balloon was deflated instantly, and believe it or not, I no longer wanted to shell out the big bucks for a copy any more. I bought a couple of pieces of OA at that show instead.

Yes, when slabbing emerged, I still played around a bit with comics but finally it all just seemed like a pointless exercise and didn't give me any pride of ownership since I already knew there were dozens of better examples to each comic I owned. The slabs did allow me to 'display' the comics, but I had them on some shelves in my office and beside them were big, bold framed OA images. After a time, the thrill and pride of ownership of the Art just took over and I sold every slab I had.

To be honest, in the back of my mind, whenever I think I may start collecting comics again, I tell myself that I can wait because I can always find a copy of any title I'm looking for at anytime at any place (with the internet). No reason to shell out the big bucks right now.... but, if you pass on a piece of art, you may never get another chance at it. (There are several pieces that I still kick myself for being the underbidder). That's the difference really. The fear of loss can be as great as the thrill of ownership.

I've never had a comic slabbed. Heck, I've never even been that agressive about getting a nice copy of a book off the shelves. Why bother? They're mass produced! And like I always say, they're just art catalogs. (and nice reading material too) I mostly have gotten rid of my singles and switched to trades, as they're a more convenient reference on my shelves.

I guess slabs are an investment vehicle. There's a market for the stuff and if you're savvy you can make money, which is fine. The only regret I have is that I didn't have a "collection" of some sort to cash out of when I discovered comic art, so consider yourself lucky. Being able to cash out and afford a few blue chip pieces to start would be a wonderful thing.

My advice? Buy something you can have up on the wall and appreciate every day. At least then whether it increases or decreases in value you will get plenty of enjoyment out of it!! Also, definitely go for a lean, quality, collection of framed art rather than 100's of pieces you'll never look at and just accumulate. A lot of art collectors keep their art in a binder in the closet too and rarely look at it. :insane:

I wish I could give up my comics and start pursuing an OA collection. But my problem is lack of wall space to showcase what I have. That is really the only thing holding me back. I don't want to keep the art tucked away....even if it is one of a kind.

I stopped collecting comics/slabs a few years back. I have a few slabs left, and hold mainly TPBs...I will never go back to hard core comic collecting as in the past...I've transferred a lot of comic funds from selling my books into OA...it is more rewarding...it is like hunting...I get a charge out of it...as do most of the people who collect it...

Sold off the vast majority of my slabs years ago to fund OA and have never looked back. True, much of my OA collection is in portfolios, the way my slabs were in boxes...the difference is that I do take my portfolios out regularly to enjoy the art. The slabs just always sat in the boxes. Once the thrill of the hunt was over, I got no further enjoyment out of them. The only ones I've kept are the ones that have a lot of sentimental value (mostly 80's titles).

These days, in terms of dollar value, I'm 1% slab, 99% OA.

Well, while I have retained most of my comic art collection, I did recently sell off my X-Men collection from 1-400. That was to help pay off my trip to San Diego Comic Con and for some original art purchases :)

Although I still collect a few titles and have been collecting comics for 36 years, my main/current focus is collecting original comic art which I've been doing now for about 23 years. And, while I don't have the wall space to display all the pieces, it's nonetheless a thrill and delight to own and be able to view the original piece :) Best,

Royd

I don't know anyone who's regretted making the switch, myself included. I used to be a hard-core comic book fanatic, even way before CGC. But, the art gives me much more pleasure. There is a distinct pride of ownership that goes with having the only known example. You have one perfect piece of nostalgia that no one else can have, from a distinct time period, and that was physically a product of an artistic team (penciler, inker, letterer, etc.). It will always be special and unique. Books, slabbed or not, will never be the same as OA, for these reasons. I also felt that when I had a great book example, I was half pleased with the book and half scared mess that it will get a ding (in or out of the slab) and that I'd eventually have to get it reslabbed with all the potential drops in grade, drops in condition, etc. that go along with it.

I have about 10 pieces on the wall, and the rest in portfolios. I swap them every once in a while. I love seeing my OA on the walls, and showing them to friends when they visit. Showing books was quite a bit geekier (no offense). "hey, want to see my box full of comics?". Sounds a little weird when you're an adult. But, "That art? Yeah, it's an original work by the creator of that character, you know, the swamp thing?" "Swamp thing, oh yeah, that's cool!".

Adds another dimension to the pride of ownership thing.

Hari

I am pretty much in agreement with everyone here...which probably isn't a surprise considering this is the ORIGINAL ART thread and NOT the CGC BOOKS thread. I was never very big on slabbed books to begin with. I think I slabbed around 20 books in my life. I've sold most and kept maybe three or four. In terms of raw books...I accumulated around 14 boxes before I started selling them to pay for original art... for much the same reasons... Books will ALWAYS come around. The art comes around but once (maybe again, if you are lucky). I also thought I would NEVER stop buying my books every Wednesday... but i have. Now I wait to hear what is a good read and will buy the trade. If I REALLY want to read a book while it is still in single issues, I can usually track books down for around $1 each... but buying books to collect... I don't do at all anymore. I collect original art. I have kept one long box of nostalgic books, and have a couple shelves full of VERY RARE hardcovers, but other than that it is all OA now. It may sound cheesy, but it was during UNBREAKABLE when Bruce Willis went into Sam Jackson's gallery and Sam was explaining the art to that potential buyer that I thought, "Now THAT is cool." But I still didn't know where you could get OA. One day in Paradise Comics in Toronto I saw that Peter had a couple pages for sale and I bought my first page... and the only reason I bought it... because it was cheap. $15, for a half splash of Shogun Warriors by Herb Trimpe. Didn't care about the art, but I wanted to own a piece, and from there it never stopped. I have accumulate quite a bit of art, and have had to sell quite a bit of it to "upgrade" the collection, but it has been great. I love this part of the hobby and it does allow I think some of us to feel a little more "adult" about it. So I don't know what kind of advice you were looking for, but I say JUMP OFF THAT LEDGE...don't worry, we'll be here to catch you...

I don't know anyone who's regretted making the switch, myself included. I used to be a hard-core comic book fanatic, even way before CGC. But, the art gives me much more pleasure. There is a distinct pride of ownership that goes with having the only known example. You have one perfect piece of nostalgia that no one else can have, from a distinct time period, and that was physically a product of an artistic team (penciler, inker, letterer, etc.). It will always be special and unique. Books, slabbed or not, will never be the same as OA, for these reasons. I also felt that when I had a great book example, I was half pleased with the book and half scared mess that it will get a ding (in or out of the slab) and that I'd eventually have to get it reslabbed with all the potential drops in grade, drops in condition, etc. that go along with it.

I have about 10 pieces on the wall, and the rest in portfolios. I swap them every once in a while. I love seeing my OA on the walls, and showing them to friends when they visit. Showing books was quite a bit geekier (no offense). "hey, want to see my box full of comics?". Sounds a little weird when you're an adult. But, "That art? Yeah, it's an original work by the creator of that character, you know, the swamp thing?" "Swamp thing, oh yeah, that's cool!".

Adds another dimension to the pride of ownership thing.

Hari

My goodness, that hits home for me :)

You guys certainly aren't talking me off the ledge whatsoever lol

*sigh*...I feel like i'm debating dropping a long-term gf for a hotter, younger version (:

MORE GREAT INPUT, PLEASE!! :D

I love this part of the hobby and it does allow I think some of us to feel a little more "adult" about it. So I don't know what kind of advice you were looking for, but I say JUMP OFF THAT LEDGE...don't worry, we'll be here to catch you...

:headbang:

Jump man, just close your eyes and jump!

I was a huge CGC ASM collector for the past three years or so, but the OA got to me. First it was Spider-man, then some random things here and there, maybe a few walking dead covers and splashes, but it got really expensive just being all over the place, I wanted everything! Then Brandon Olson comes along and sells the cover to Invincible 46 on ebay. Long story short, thats all i collect now is Invincible stuff, so thanks Brandon for making me broke! HA.

(Phi- you already know all this but just thought i would contribute to the convo)

Here is my question to you buddy, are you going to go all out and across the board in OA or are you planning on narrowing your focus? How bout the rest of ya, anyone have any OA collecting niches.

I first started as an OA collector about a year and a half ago. I had read some comics (like Preacher, Death of Sups, Infinity Gauntlet, Sandman) but I never collected. It is kinda funny but OA kinda got me into collecting slabs fro my favorite series. I set up shelves to display a few at a time (mostly my Y's and Preachers) along with the OA but I totally agree with Jesusjon. Comics really are catalogs! I remember having an email conversation with Nexus one time about a page and and the word "grail" was thrown around. So I went into the series and just started picking out what pages I would like to own. It's going to be fun trying to track some down.

Good luck on your OA hunt but at least finish your Bone collection. Geez. Ya sacker! :baiting:

A few suggestions from someone that still lives in both worlds

1. Decide what you are going to collect and stick to it. I have seen people too many times jump around with their collecting and too often they fund the "new" passion by selling off the old passion at a loss. The reason is too often when someone jumps into a new collecting area, they buy recklessly and over pay.

2. Make contact with EVERYONE possible. Networking is key to tracking down items.

3. When you tell someone "if you ever decide to sell, let me know, be ready to buy it. If the opportunity comes up, you better plunk down the cash otherwise you may get a bad rep

4. Research before you buy. www.comicartfan.com offers FREE market data, USE IT!!!!

Jump man, just close your eyes and jump!

(Phi- you already know all this but just thought i would contribute to the convo)

Here is my question to you buddy, are you going to go all out and across the board in OA or are you planning on narrowing your focus? How bout the rest of ya, anyone have any OA collecting niches.

hey Tyler!

as far as niches go, i really hadn't thought too much about that hm I wanna pick up a TON of vinci stuff (as you already know), a couple of jae lee dark tower pages (which are pricey as HELL!) and some Jim Lee stuff (also pricey as hell).

I know damn well that invincible covers are out of the question (bc ty owns all of them lol ), so i'd probably focus on vinci splashes and favorite 'moments' (ie pgs 18-20 of vinci #52...

what other OA niches are there out there (besides artist / title)?

Then Brandon Olson comes along and sells the cover to Invincible 46 on ebay. Long story short, thats all i collect now is Invincible stuff, so thanks Brandon for making me broke! HA.

You could do a lot worse than your Invincible collection though! Congrats on all the cool images!