• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

noobie OA question #2: someone talk me OFF THE LEDGE!

94 posts in this topic

A few suggestions from someone that still lives in both worlds

1. Decide what you are going to collect and stick to it. I have seen people too many times jump around with their collecting and too often they fund the "new" passion by selling off the old passion at a loss. The reason is too often when someone jumps into a new collecting area, they buy recklessly and over pay.

2. Make contact with EVERYONE possible. Networking is key to tracking down items.

3. When you tell someone "if you ever decide to sell, let me know, be ready to buy it. If the opportunity comes up, you better plunk down the cash otherwise you may get a bad rep

4. Research before you buy. www.comicartfan.com offers FREE market data, USE IT!!!!

thank you :)

I

Good luck on your OA hunt but at least finish your Bone collection. Geez. Ya sacker! :baiting:

i actually just paid for that Bone set, and most of its pieces aren't going ANYWHERE! Those are easy keepers bc Jeff Smith keeps all of his OA :cry:

It was a joke. It looks like you are only missing 1.

You sold me the Bone Scholastic tpb's and I wish he would sell some of that OA! It was a great read.

I've always liked both original art and comics and haven't been able to forsake one for the other. I'm primarily a comic collector because I'm a big color fanatic and because I find that much of the OA I really want is quite expensive. I'm happy when I can add another page, but not at the expense of owning a set like:

PlanetSetSm-1.jpg

When you collect slabs, you end up collecting a number (I only have a 8.8, I need it in 9.4 or better) what's that about??!! but.... when you collect original art, you buy for the love of the item itself--and condition, within reason, isn't too important...forget slabs IMO and put the money in one of a kind original art!! You hang them on the wall, you love them everyday, and they appreciate in value...what more do you want?

How bout the rest of ya, anyone have any OA collecting niches.

When I first started collecting, I really thought I'd get 5-6 pieces from my all-time favorite titles and that would be it. That I would keep my slabs and have a complementary OA collection. Didn't quite work out that way:P

I then set out to collect "wide" rather than "deep". I've since narrowed my focus somewhat, but there are just lots of books that I love and my goal is to get a nice example from most of them.

I also collect art from titles I've enjoyed reading, and not from artists. I actually love Steve Rude's art, but don't own anything of his that's not NEXUS-related. A pedestrian page from a book I like has more appeal to me than the nicest drawn page from a book I thought was . Don't get me wrong...there are lots of artists whose work I admire, but unless they worked on something I enjoyed, they'll be a lower priority, collecting-wise.

Obviously, collecting is personal and there's no one "right" way to collect. Whatever floats your boat (thumbs u

While everyone else here sings the praises of OA, you need to know this: It's addictive and it will keep you up at night.

Because there's one and only one original, you can't hope to find its twin at the next Con. If you miss the particular piece that you really loved? It's gone, baby. You can always plead or beg or barter with the buyer. But, most often, the buyer wants to keep his shiny new prize.

You'll spend too much. No one you know will really get this new obsession of your's. You'll worry about your collection 'cause paper burns, bends, tears and stains...and the artwork's value and history is in your hands. You may own it but most collectors feel that you have an obligation to take care of it so that future generations can enjoy it.

But when things go right and the artwork you've found is just exactly right? It's the best collecting experience in your life....

I decided to get into collecting OA just this past six month ago and in one fell swoop picked up some nice Mahnke pages on the boards. However, I quickly realized that I had been dreaming about owning OA all my life. I have favorite artists so my goal is to collect one nice piece from each of my favorite artists...even if it takes me the rest of my life. Also, one piece a year will be sufficient for me and in 10 years I plan to have 10 stellar pieces decorating the walls of my home.

I have already added a Mike Grell piece featuring Travis Morgan, The Warlord and I cant see m looking back to comics anymore. It was affordable and its beautiful and its mine alone. From now on Its all OA for me.

My advice is to be very picky. There is a lot of art out there and, even if its not comic art, buy what appeals to you.

When you collect slabs, you end up collecting a number (I only have a 8.8, I need it in 9.4 or better) what's that about??!! but.... when you collect original art, you buy for the love of the item itself--and condition, within reason, isn't too important...forget slabs IMO and put the money in one of a kind original art!! You hang them on the wall, you love them everyday, and they appreciate in value...what more do you want?

8.8 hm

What you're describing is really not that different from collecting slabs, though - seeing that you can't read a CGC book, you're basically buying it for the cover ... I hang my favorite ones on my wall, using the lovely Frame It Again Sam wood frames made specifically for that purpose. And trying to get that elusive 9.8 copy of a book that you love is no different than trying to track down a piece of OA from a favorite artist.

And comic books appreciate in value just as OA do.

I love them both - and will take no sides here.

Then Brandon Olson comes along and sells the cover to Invincible 46 on ebay. Long story short, thats all i collect now is Invincible stuff, so thanks Brandon for making me broke! HA.

You could do a lot worse than your Invincible collection though! Congrats on all the cool images!

Thanks (thumbs u

Im just really glad that I can own stuff from my favorite books and easily my favorite artist and still have money to eat! I first was big on ASM OA but there is this guy that seems to get all the great stuff, mostly from the artists rep'd by Spencer Beck, his name is Alex Gonzalez, go look him up on CAF, quite impressive. I think the turning point in my collection was actually recently. I have the sketch art that made the sketch cover to ASM 546, and i really wanted the inked finished version to go along with it. I talked to steve mcniven at NYCC last year and he said he didnt know if it was sold or where it was. I contacted spencer beck and asked if it had been sold and he said he thought it was since he didnt have it. Lo and behold a month ago it finds its way into Alex's collection, so i said screw it. Im strictly Invincible covers now, maybe the occassional splash, and the occassional Walking Dead cover. Other than that, i dont by anything else. I would love to have some Scud art by Rob Schrab but i cant get him to answer his deviant art account or email. Oh well.

Its awesome to hear everyones stories and OA collecting thoughts. Great thread Colin :grin:

Collin... I'm tossing my opinion out from the cheap seats (take a look at my CAF gallery and you'll see what I mean ;) ), but here's my take:

Comics and comic art are likely members of a family--similar and yet different. When it comes to collecting, I have a different appreciation of one from the other. While comic art and comics are similar in nature, they're also different items. While I love the art work from comics, I also dig the storylines; but there is no real "connection" to the creative team. Comic art, however, allows me a connection to the artist through actually having the work right there in front of me in addition to enjoying the artwork. This is also part of why I like having my comics signed by the artists & writers--gives me a little of the feeling I've gotten from getting art, that connection with the creator (but for MUCH less than art from that issue!).

I'm only mentioning (briefly) my reasons for collecting both as perhaps it'll help you to flesh out your reasons for jumping in to one section of the greater comic hobby. I do think it's important that before you sell anything to fuel your OA that you're positive you won't regret selling it later on down the road. Definitely chat it up with some of the vet collectors here (lots to learn!), and find a focus!

For me, I have an extremely narrowed focus: TMNT. I collect nothing else (though I do enjoy reading other titles- just don't collect them).

So its easy for me to do both, collect slabs and art. The art, though, is really where my heart is and there are a few pieces that will probably stay with me forever while the slabs I'd be alot more willing to part with.

Just like whats been said above, theres something about owning a 1 of 1 piece of art from a book that you care about. It IS addictive though, and will probably be the most money you'll ever spend in the hobby (and ever thought you'd spend). But in the end its completely worth it. Especially if you can frame up a few pieces and display them as I've recently done with a few pieces.

My advice: be selective!

Im just really glad that I can own stuff from my favorite books and easily my favorite artist and still have money to eat! I first was big on ASM OA but there is this guy that seems to get all the great stuff, mostly from the artists rep'd by Spencer Beck, his name is Alex Gonzalez, go look him up on CAF, quite impressive. I think the turning point in my collection was actually recently. I have the sketch art that made the sketch cover to ASM 546, and i really wanted the inked finished version to go along with it. I talked to steve mcniven at NYCC last year and he said he didnt know if it was sold or where it was. I contacted spencer beck and asked if it had been sold and he said he thought it was since he didnt have it. Lo and behold a month ago it finds its way into Alex's collection, so i said screw it. :

You know, I know Alex, and he doesn't post every piece of art the day he gets it. He picks up so much great stuff it's sometimes a good long time before they make it into his CAF gallery. I would wager that there are plenty of piece Alex has picked up that we haven't seen in his CAF at all.

A lot of collectors are like that. When a piece is put up in their caf might have no rational relationship to when they picked it up.

You shouldn't read too much into it.

Although I agree that it's hard to go up against someone with the means and the determination to get what you also like.

Best,

Chris

I started with no focus which is why I have a lot of different stuff. I then went super focused on just kitson stuff and sold some of my non essential. Then jonjesper went and became an art rep, so I expanded my focus to add Mahnke.

Now I'm really moving all my slabs (down to like 6 SS books) to fund art. I'm on shiverbones list as people say everyone should have a shiverbones original.

My goal coming up is to move all non splash OA with the exception of my Kitson stuff. I want to work on cover/splashes/commissions for now on.

Some of my future goals are to get a Noto painted piece and a harris starman splash. OA collecting is the most fun I have had and as a result I hardly buy comics anymore.

For me, I have an extremely narrowed focus: TMNT. I collect nothing else (though I do enjoy reading other titles- just don't collect them).

So its easy for me to do both, collect slabs and art. The art, though, is really where my heart is and there are a few pieces that will probably stay with me forever while the slabs I'd be alot more willing to part with.

Just like whats been said above, theres something about owning a 1 of 1 piece of art from a book that you care about. It IS addictive though, and will probably be the most money you'll ever spend in the hobby (and ever thought you'd spend). But in the end its completely worth it. Especially if you can frame up a few pieces and display them as I've recently done with a few pieces.

My advice: be selective!

Yes, pick the brains of the experts here. I don't know where I would be without early advice from Chris Caira. He didn't tell me what to buy, but gave me a lot of advice on what to look for when buying art such as if it's a blue line or original etc and tons of things I wouldn't have thought of.

Im just really glad that I can own stuff from my favorite books and easily my favorite artist and still have money to eat! I first was big on ASM OA but there is this guy that seems to get all the great stuff, mostly from the artists rep'd by Spencer Beck, his name is Alex Gonzalez, go look him up on CAF, quite impressive. I think the turning point in my collection was actually recently. I have the sketch art that made the sketch cover to ASM 546, and i really wanted the inked finished version to go along with it. I talked to steve mcniven at NYCC last year and he said he didnt know if it was sold or where it was. I contacted spencer beck and asked if it had been sold and he said he thought it was since he didnt have it. Lo and behold a month ago it finds its way into Alex's collection, so i said screw it. :

You know, I know Alex, and he doesn't post every piece of art the day he gets it. He picks up so much great stuff it's sometimes a good long time before they make it into his CAF gallery. I would wager that there are plenty of piece Alex has picked up that we haven't seen in his CAF at all.

A lot of collectors are like that. When a piece is put up in their caf might have no rational relationship to when they picked it up.

You shouldn't read too much into it.

Although I agree that it's hard to go up against someone with the means and the determination to get what you also like.

Best,

Chris

He is usually pretty quick to pick up stuff unless the piece is from something that hasnt been made public yet. No he is a great guy, dont get me wrong, got my ASM splash in my Ron Garney section in my CAF from him. He is just to big a competitor for me, so i left that market and went to a new one. He easily has one of the most impressive galleries on the site, hats off to him.

He is usually pretty quick to pick up stuff unless the piece is from something that hasnt been made public yet. No he is a great guy, dont get me wrong, got my ASM splash in my Ron Garney section in my CAF from him. He is just to big a competitor for me, so i left that market and went to a new one. He easily has one of the most impressive galleries on the site, hats off to him.

I know your pain.

The stuff that I really love. The stuff I grew up with and lust for and would give anything for...happens to be the stuff that 4 of the largest collectors in the hobby also collect...down to the same favorite titles, issue numbers, and artists.

Talk about competition. They are some of the nicest guys in the world but almost no one can compete with them.

Best,

C

Thanks (thumbs u

Im just really glad that I can own stuff from my favorite books and easily my favorite artist and still have money to eat! I first was big on ASM OA but there is this guy that seems to get all the great stuff, mostly from the artists rep'd by Spencer Beck, his name is Alex Gonzalez, go look him up on CAF, quite impressive. I think the turning point in my collection was actually recently. I have the sketch art that made the sketch cover to ASM 546, and i really wanted the inked finished version to go along with it. I talked to steve mcniven at NYCC last year and he said he didnt know if it was sold or where it was. I contacted spencer beck and asked if it had been sold and he said he thought it was since he didnt have it. Lo and behold a month ago it finds its way into Alex's collection, so i said screw it. Im strictly Invincible covers now, maybe the occassional splash, and the occassional Walking Dead cover.

Well quit being the "Alex Gonzalez" of Invincible! Leave some for the rest of us! lol

Thanks (thumbs u

Im just really glad that I can own stuff from my favorite books and easily my favorite artist and still have money to eat! I first was big on ASM OA but there is this guy that seems to get all the great stuff, mostly from the artists rep'd by Spencer Beck, his name is Alex Gonzalez, go look him up on CAF, quite impressive. I think the turning point in my collection was actually recently. I have the sketch art that made the sketch cover to ASM 546, and i really wanted the inked finished version to go along with it. I talked to steve mcniven at NYCC last year and he said he didnt know if it was sold or where it was. I contacted spencer beck and asked if it had been sold and he said he thought it was since he didnt have it. Lo and behold a month ago it finds its way into Alex's collection, so i said screw it. Im strictly Invincible covers now, maybe the occassional splash, and the occassional Walking Dead cover.

Well quit being the "Alex Gonzalez" of Invincible! Leave some for the rest of us! lol

Blame it on Alex (shrug)