• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gold Key Star Trek Question...

17 posts in this topic

Through the years Overstreet has listed Star Trek #1, 2 and 3 as having two back cover variations, photo and advertising. Supposedly the photo back cover variation is the rarer version of the two.

I have seen both versions of issues 2 and 3. In fact there are two price variation versions of the ad back cover on #2 (.12 and .15 cent).

But I have never seen an back cover ad version of issue #1. This is supposedly the more common version. There are 17 or so listed on the CGC census as ad back covers, yet in every instance so far those have turned out to be mislabeled and are, in fact, photo back covers.

If anyone has some definitive proof of an ad back cover please let me know.

Thanks!

I think the variant not only has a photo on the back cover but photos on the inside covers as well. Here is what I found. This is the inside and outside covers for the most rare edition. There has only been one of these graded by CGC.

What i don't know is what is inside on the common issues138 graded by CGC

or the the other variant only 19 graded by CGC.

st1Afront.jpg

st1Aback.jpg

st1Ainsideb.jpg

st1Ainsidef.jpg

Thanks for the response! (thumbs u

Actually, from what I have found, the variation that you posted is the only version I have ever seen. The different versions noted by CGC all end up being this same version.

From what I can tell, the "rare" version is the only version that exists.

Can someone show me the "common" version?

the photo back cover is the "common" one... that was one of the errors I tried to point out to OSPG this year, but I guess it didn't get corrected...

in all my years, I have only seen, maybe 2 of the back cover variant that has ads on the inside back cover... and I have never seen the one with the photos on the inside as pictured above...

I have had maybe 100+ of the reg photo back (which is the common one, not rare as misnotated) and as mentioned, only had 2 of the non interior back photo variant (thumbs u

the photo back cover is the "common" one... that was one of the errors I tried to point out to OSPG this year, but I guess it didn't get corrected...

in all my years, I have only seen, maybe 2 of the back cover variant that has ads on the inside back cover... and I have never seen the one with the photos on the inside as pictured above...

I have had maybe 100+ of the reg photo back (which is the common one, not rare as misnotated) and as mentioned, only had 2 of the non interior back photo variant (thumbs u

actually, I just called a buddy of mine that bought my personal set of 1-61...

he says there are only 2 versions, the one with the interior back cover photo (as pictured above) and the one that has the "ads" ...

apparently, GK produced a few covers with the photo's and then realized they should be selling that as ad space?

so, all GK ST 1 have the pin up photo on the outside back cover, and it is the "interior" photo on the back cover that is the "rare" variant...

hopefully Bob O will get this clarified for next year (maybe I need to be clearer) (shrug)

actually, I just called a buddy of mine that bought my personal set of 1-61...

he says there are only 2 versions, the one with the interior back cover photo (as pictured above) and the one that has the "ads" ...

apparently, GK produced a few covers with the photo's and then realized they should be selling that as ad space?

so, all GK ST 1 have the pin up photo on the outside back cover, and it is the "interior" photo on the back cover that is the "rare" variant...

hopefully Bob O will get this clarified for next year (maybe I need to be clearer) (shrug)

So it took them about 40 years to figure it out? If it was a Marvel or DC this would have been clarified a long time ago. I guess no respect for Gold Key comics. :)

Edited by MR.COMICBOOK

In 30+ years of collecting I've never seen a copy of the "common" ST 1 with the ads either as interior or exterior back cover

since I don't have any right now, my guess is the ads on the interior back cover are the "rare" ones, and the photo's are the common (shrug)

In 30+ years of collecting I've never seen a copy of the "common" ST 1 with the ads either as interior or exterior back cover

since I don't have any right now, my guess is the ads on the interior back cover are the "rare" ones, and the photo's are the common (shrug)

Until I see a copy with an ad either on the interior or exterior of the back cover I am going to conclude that that version is not only rare but probably non-existent.

I believe that the variations on issues 2 and 3 led to the inference that there must be the same on issue #1. And, like an urban legend, someones friend always has seen one.

One of my customers is a huge fan of Star Trek. He has the 9.6 and four of the 9.4 copies of #1. He also has most of the highest graded through the run. His grail is one of the variants of #1 but, like the Yeti, the Loch Ness Monster, and an Astro's World Series Ring, it may be unobtainable.

Until I see a copy with an ad either on the interior or exterior of the back cover I am going to conclude that that version is not only rare but probably non-existent.

I believe that the variations on issues 2 and 3 led to the inference that there must be the same on issue #1. And, like an urban legend, someones friend always has seen one.

One of my customers is a huge fan of Star Trek. He has the 9.6 and four of the 9.4 copies of #1. He also has most of the highest graded through the run. His grail is one of the variants of #1 but, like the Yeti, the Loch Ness Monster, and an Astro's World Championship, it may be unobtainable.

cool...hopefully your customer is one of my customers, on Star Trek toys :)

On 4/4/2009 at 5:02 PM, Flash105 said:

I think the variant not only has a photo on the back cover but photos on the inside covers as well. Here is what I found. This is the inside and outside covers for the most rare edition. There has only been one of these graded by CGC.

What i don't know is what is inside on the common issues138 graded by CGC

or the the other variant only 19 graded by CGC.

st1Afront.jpg

st1Aback.jpg

st1Ainsideb.jpg

st1Ainsidef.jpg

Bump... so did anyone ever see a #1 with an ad on back cover?

I own a copy that looks exactly like the above example

Similar situation with the Turok Giant #1 from 1966.  

Someone a long time ago saw some of the other Giants with paper (newsprint) covers and assumed that all of the giants must have been printed with paper covers.  Not so, as he later told me.  As it turns out, the Turok giant does NOT exist with a paper cover yet the paper cover version is still, after all of these years, referenced in Overstreet AND on CGC labels.  

Edited by pemart1966