• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newkadia

36 posts in this topic

We discussed newkadia.com in the thread about Lone Star comics, and based on a couple of good reviews from fellow board members, I though I'd give them a go - their prices seemeed reasonable, they offered a no-hassle return policy, and I liked the idea of being able to order "NM+" books, so no matter what, I figured I'd do ok.

I got my order today - 47 books total, broken down like this (the grade in parenthesis is the grade I ordered & paid for):

- 5 misc books (NM+)

- 1 misc book (NM)

- 1 misc book (VF+)

- 40 issues of Sandman (all NM+)

One thing that they do deserve credit for is that each book has a huge label on the back which tells the grade that they've assigned and why they assigned it - like this:

newkadia_label.jpg

I think that's pretty neat. Every single book is also bagged & boarded at no extra charge - which should be the standard for every comic book store.

One thing they get zero kudos for, though, is on their website they claim that "we protect your comics by shipping them in a heavy duty shipping pack" - and they also talk about their "unbendable shipping box". Well, if by "heavy duty shipping pack", they mean a USPS flat-rate priority box turned inside out (and then shipped media mail), then, yes, that would be correct - but, considering that this is illegal, I was rather surprised by their choice of packaging.

Anyway ... after going through the books, I'm returning 23 books and keeping 24 - which is a bit higher than I thought it would be. Those 23 books were all "NM+" ones - the single NM and VF+ book I ordered were accurately graded.

1 book was a VF+ 3rd print, when I had paid for a NM+ 1st print.

And 22 supposedly NM+ books were just plain overgraded - I would have been content if they were NM, but these 15 books were 9.2's, 9.0's, and below.

Of the 24 books I'm keeping, 21 of them was supposed to be NM+ ... in reality, I saw about 4-5 NM+ copies with the rest being NM.

So ... I'll be returning a stack of books tomorrow, and I guess the hunt for an online comic book store with pristine HG moderns continues.

We discussed newkadia.com in the thread about Lone Star comics, and based on a couple of good reviews from fellow board members, I though I'd give them a go - their prices seemeed reasonable, they offered a no-hassle return policy, and I liked the idea of being able to order "NM+" books, so no matter what, I figured I'd do ok.

I got my order today - 47 books total, broken down like this (the grade in parenthesis is the grade I ordered & paid for):

- 5 misc books (NM+)

- 1 misc book (NM)

- 1 misc book (VF+)

- 40 issues of Sandman (all NM+)

One thing that they do deserve credit for is that each book has a huge label on the back which tells the grade that they've assigned and why they assigned it - like this:

newkadia_label.jpg

I think that's pretty neat. Every single book is also bagged & boarded at no extra charge - which should be the standard for every comic book store.

One thing they get zero kudos for, though, is on their website they claim that "we protect your comics by shipping them in a heavy duty shipping pack" - and they also talk about their "unbendable shipping box". Well, if by "heavy duty shipping pack", they mean a USPS flat-rate priority box turned inside out (and then shipped media mail), then, yes, that would be correct - but, considering that this is illegal, I was rather surprised by their choice of packaging.

Anyway ... after going through the books, I'm returning 23 books and keeping 24 - which is a bit higher than I thought it would be. Those 23 books were all "NM+" ones - the single NM and VF+ book I ordered were accurately graded.

1 book was a VF+ 3rd print, when I had paid for a NM+ 1st print.

And 22 supposedly NM+ books were just plain overgraded - I would have been content if they were NM, but these 15 books were 9.2's, 9.0's, and below.

Of the 24 books I'm keeping, 21 of them was supposed to be NM+ ... in reality, I saw about 4-5 NM+ copies with the rest being NM.

So ... I'll be returning a stack of books tomorrow, and I guess the hunt for an online comic book store with pristine HG moderns continues.

I was hoping youd have better news. I had a order of about 50 books to fill the top of my Fantastic Four run ready to put in. I think wer'e running out of places to look for accurate grading in an online shop. Maybe now ill just wait for Wizard Chicago and see it I can fill the gaps. Thanks for posting this though. That many books going back just wouldnt be acceptable to me either. :cry:

DRX

I ordered some books from them last summer and was very impressed with both their grading and shipping. Also they do have a really good box that did a very god job protecting my order. Why you got them in a USPS box I don't know, it may have something to do with the number of books you ordered. (shrug)

I am not very picky for a cheap modern I'd be OK with an 8.5 that they called NM I ordered about 25 fine to nm books and was not impressed by their grading. They missed by quite a bit on a few VF's that were more like VG-Fine. I did not go back

Come the fall, there will be an online outlet that will guarantee that anything graded NM (9.4) will, upon submission to CGC, come back at a minimum of 9.4. (thumbs u

And who might this outlet be Nick? hm

Come the fall, there will be an online outlet that will guarantee that anything graded NM (9.4) will, upon submission to CGC, come back at a minimum of 9.4. (thumbs u

Welllll...

Could be someone we know. :insane:

spam2.gif

Welllll...

hm hm hm

Will you be offering 9.6 and 9.8's too? That would be friggin' sweet.

Will you be offering 9.6 and 9.8's too? That would be friggin' sweet.

The problem with selling moderns as 9.6s or 9.8s will lie with our database. Everything is driven off entering the NM price, and then percentages are automatically worked from there. Obviously with a GA/SA/BA book, we enter a book as a 9.6 and we would see an automatic bump in price...a percentage above the 9.4 price.

However, I'm not happy to bump up the prices on moderns because they are 9.6s and 9.8s. I want the top price to be no greater than 9.4, so everything 9.4 or better will be simply stated at 9.4 and priced as such.

To be honest, I would suggest that the majority of modern 9.4s will be 9.6 or better, but for good customers, I'm sure I'll be happy to pick 'em at 9.6 only. (thumbs u

Welllll...

Don't be too modest!