• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant-Size X-Men #1 Original Art burned?
1 1

148 posts in this topic

R.I.P. Sheba, and luckily no one else was hurt. Not sure if Ellison is refering to Hulk 181 Art?

From THE BEAT...

Writer Harlan Ellison just posted the following on his website:

- Monday, April 6 2009 11:55:36 EXTREMELY BAD NEWS

Len Wein called this morning. More than half of his house burned down earlier today. Len and Chris Valada and Chris’s son, Michael, got out okay, but their beloved dog, Sheba, ran back inside and is gone. In addition to both bedrooms, the bathroom, and much of the office, what was burned first was the original art for the first Wolverine story, the cover of GIANT X-MEN #1 and other art pieces worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. Susan and I will be over there as soon as I pick up my car today, and as soon as I’ve met the dental appointment we have scheduled. This is a major catastrophe for one of my oldest and closest friends. Like your Host, Len is a lifetime freelancer and, even though he remains a star of the comics world, even though he created Wolverine and Storm–among other characters–he goes from day to day earning a freelancer’s living, as do I…and these are frightening economic times for those of us out there, to paraphrase Arthur Miller, “on a few words and a shoeshine.”

R.I.P. Sheba, and luckily no one else was hurt. Not sure if Ellison is refering to Hulk 181 Art?

From THE BEAT...

Writer Harlan Ellison just posted the following on his website:

- Monday, April 6 2009 11:55:36 EXTREMELY BAD NEWS

Len Wein called this morning. More than half of his house burned down earlier today. Len and Chris Valada and Chris’s son, Michael, got out okay, but their beloved dog, Sheba, ran back inside and is gone. In addition to both bedrooms, the bathroom, and much of the office, what was burned first was the original art for the first Wolverine story, the cover of GIANT X-MEN #1 and other art pieces worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. Susan and I will be over there as soon as I pick up my car today, and as soon as I’ve met the dental appointment we have scheduled. This is a major catastrophe for one of my oldest and closest friends. Like your Host, Len is a lifetime freelancer and, even though he remains a star of the comics world, even though he created Wolverine and Storm–among other characters–he goes from day to day earning a freelancer’s living, as do I…and these are frightening economic times for those of us out there, to paraphrase Arthur Miller, “on a few words and a shoeshine.”

That would be news to real owner of that cover....he's owned that cover for years.

C

Dave Cockrum did some recreations of the Giant Sized X-Men #1 cover that he originally did with Gil Kane, with the last one being dated 2002. Does anyone know if Gil Kane did any recreations of the Giant Sized X-Men #1 cover?

The X-men GS #1 cover had been sold by Len and rests safely in a private collection.

The stat cover of GS #1 also rests in another private collection.

Because Len owned the original at one time is where the confusion comes in that it was burned in the fire...this is untrue.

Now as for the Hulk art-

Len owned the last page to Hulk #180 and the entire book of #181 which are now destroyed from the fire. The cover to #181 was not in Len's posession, as it was sold many years ago and has not resurfaced since.

Trimpe sold most of his other Hulk art to the Donalley brothers years ago...

Hope that helps straighten out any confusion...

sad indeed. at least someone out there still has the cover. its pretty cool to know that's out there.

That's not the only thing that's still out there!

Luckily, I get to look at these every day thanks to my friend Vince.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Page=1&Order=Date&Piece=253576&GSub=38015&GCat=0&UCat=0

:o

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Page=1&Order=Date&Piece=253574&GSub=38015&GCat=0&UCat=0

:o :o

Historic...to say the least!

West

Edited by Timely

I can't help but wonder, was the art totally consumed by flames, or is it just heavily damaged by smoke and water? Is it completely beyond any hopes of restoration? From what I've read in the blog of Len Wein's wife LINK the bathroom and bedroom were consumed by flames but items in the other areas of the house suffered major smoke and water damage. Do the Hulk pages still exist, but in heavily damaged form?

Does anyone know what other art he owned by chance? I'm curious what else is now lost to history due to unfortunate circumstances...

I heard tell the Avengers #161 and Super Villain Team Up #14 covers were the first ones to go...

:jokealert:

C