• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant-Size X-Men #1 Original Art burned?
1 1

148 posts in this topic

I wonder what possessed herb trimpe to give this away? e

A generous nature? I've heard he's given away other art, as well, including key G.I. JOE art (although, obviously, nothing of the magnitude of this page). My guess is he's a product of his time, when OA was seen as disposable, and he never grasped the possibility that it could have value. Either that or he simply didn't care.

A generous nature? I've heard he's given away other art, as well, including key G.I. JOE art (although, obviously, nothing of the magnitude of this page). My guess is he's a product of his time, when OA was seen as disposable, and he never grasped the possibility that it could have value. Either that or he simply didn't care.

i've exchanged several emails with Herb a few years ago and bought a commission from him and he struck me as just a really nice old school guy. That, and he probably didn't ever think the page would be worth 6 figures.

The reason i ask is I read the guy who owns it is donating most of the profit to hero initiative. That's a pretty generous thing to do. Although i wish he'd donated half the proceeds to herb specifically that's a pretty selfless thing to do. The owner must really love comics. I just wondered what their meeting was like that made him gift that particular piece of comic book history to that kid.Even in 1983 Wolverine's first appearance was special. He seemed to make an impression on herb.

The Giant Sized X-Men #1 reimagined cover (artwork by John Cassaday) for Wizard Magazine sold on comic link via live auction for about $5,000 today.

that's pricey for Cassaday

Not for one of his X-MEN covers (at least not his ASTONISHING X-MEN covers). That seemed about right to me, maybe even on the low side. Big fan of that guy's stuff.