• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant-Size X-Men #1 Original Art burned?
1 1

148 posts in this topic

well yeah, that's not surprising. Especially in light of the public knowledge that the 181 interiors are roast. Seems like this would be the best interior page possible from the original arc. The 181 cover would obviously be in another stratosphere but this is still pretty nice.

Very interesting piece to try and handicap an ending # on.

well yeah, that's not surprising. Especially in light of the public knowledge that the 181 interiors are roast. Seems like this would be the best interior page possible from the original arc. The 181 cover would obviously be in another stratosphere but this is still pretty nice.

Very interesting piece to try and handicap an ending # on.

Plus 250K

I'm confused. There was no splash page with Wolverine from issue 180 but a panel on the last page. Is it that or the page 1 splash from issue 182 that one of the Donnellys own?

Thanks for saying this, because I definitely don`t remember a Wolverine splash from 180 either.

I'm confused. There was no splash page with Wolverine from issue 180 but a panel on the last page. Is it that or the page 1 splash from issue 182 that one of the Donnellys own?

Thanks for saying this, because I definitely don`t remember a Wolverine splash from 180 either.

Yeah, it's a panel page with a big, splash-y panel of Wolverine. Think this one will surely set a new record for a panel page and may even have a go at the DKR #3 splash for record interior sale. Can't imagine this one will sell for a penny less than $200K and I wouldn't be surprised to see a 3 or 4 handle either. hm

Yes, you are correct, it is not a splash. In my haste I called it a splash but it is a very nice over-sized panel. A great image and I can't wait to see the scan.

Is there a link someone can provide to the magazine article?

I agree with Gene, as the very first appearance of one of the most popular comic characters of all time, that page should set new OA records in a few different categories.

It would be a cross-over piece big-time in terms of attracting deep-pocket investors from in and out of the hobby.

Yes, you are correct, it is not a splash. In my haste I called it a splash but it is a very nice over-sized panel. A great image and I can't wait to see the scan.

I mean an over-sized panel image of Wolverine.

I'm not a superhero guy, but this has to be one of the most desirable panel pages extant, right? It's the only page in Wolverine's first cameo appearance, he's not on the 180 cover, and the entirity of his first full appearance burned.

Even the key Silver Age first appearances (if they exist) have to compete with the rest of the issue and the cover - this is it for Wolverine.

A little OT, I guess, but a story from the Boston Comic Con.

Herb Trimpe was there signing and chatting. I'm a fan (the Hulk / Jarella story especially) so I spent a little time with him about a commission he'd done for me.

As I was walking away, a kid in a Wolverine outfit was standing around and I mentioned that the artist that created him was a few feet away. The kid shrugged.

I'm not a superhero guy, but this has to be one of the most desirable panel pages extant, right? It's the only page in Wolverine's first cameo appearance, he's not on the 180 cover, and the entirity of his first full appearance burned.

Even the key Silver Age first appearances (if they exist) have to compete with the rest of the issue and the cover - this is it for Wolverine.

That's my reaction as well. The sky's probably the limit on this page.

It would be a cross-over piece big-time in terms of attracting deep-pocket investors from in and out of the hobby.

I'd be shocked if this didn't end up with one of the usual suspects. Even if there are outsiders with bigger bankrolls, only the diehards of the hobby have the capacity for rationalization and self-delusion required to bid this material deep into record territory. :insane:

I'd be shocked if this didn't end up with one of the usual suspects. Even if there are outsiders with bigger bankrolls, only the diehards of the hobby have the capacity for rationalization and self-delusion required to bid this material deep into record territory. :insane:

Without a doubt.

Yup.

Yeah, no doubt that the usual 2-3 OA heavy-hitters are probably salivating right now over the prospect of taking down this piece. And they might. That being said, I expect that this piece will be heavily promoted and hyped which could attract folks from outside the hobby. Heavy-hitters from foreign, CGC-side, and Hollywood should not be discounted from entering into the mix.