• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant-Size X-Men #1 Original Art burned?
1 1

148 posts in this topic

If I had deep pockets or won the lotto before this auction I would go 500K plus. I find it way cooler than anything DKR.

meh, it's ok... he doesn't even look like Hugh Jackman..

:jokealert:

lol

Yeah, this one should be close to or set record price.

According to the article, Trimpe gave away this page to a teenage fan in 1983. What a gift!

That fan has kept this page all these years. He plans on donating an unspecified chunk of the winning bid to Hero Initiative. A nice gesture for a good cause.

I also fully expect this page to go to one of the usual suspects. Congrats to Heritage...this is a big one.

I'm glad this news came out before the Heritage and CLink auctions this month - hopefully the potential buyers of the Hulk #180 piece will put their checkbooks away for these sales in order to have maximum firepower at their disposal in May! :wishluck:

"My prediction for the Hulk #180 page? PAIN."

mr-t-o.gif

According to the article, Trimpe gave away this page to a teenage fan in 1983. What a gift!

Is there a link to the article?

Does not appear to be online yet. I'm on the comp list and just got my print edition yesterday. Eventually should make it to the archives:

http://www.intelligentcollector.com/?show=archives

Thanks. It will be auctioned in May?

I'm glad this news came out before the Heritage and CLink auctions this month - hopefully the potential buyers of the Hulk #180 piece will put their checkbooks away for these sales in order to have maximum firepower at their disposal in May! :wishluck:

mr-t-o.gif

Interesting thought.

Does putting out a preview like this before your current big auction ends a mistake? Maybe people do look at these previews and say "I'll wait for May to spend my money"

If I was consigning a big Wolverine A+ page in HA or Clink currently I'd be kind of annoyed....

I don't have that kind of money, so I don't know the answer :shrug:

Interesting thought.

Does putting out a preview like this before your current big auction ends a mistake? Maybe people do look at these previews and say "I'll wait for May to spend my money"

If I was consigning a big Wolverine A+ page in HA or Clink currently I'd be kind of annoyed....

Couldn't it also cut the other way? You get folks who aren't in the running for that 180 page, but think some of the bigger fish in the pond will be waiting for that one, and decide to get a bit more active on some pieces between now and then?

Or at that end of the market maybe it all comes out in the wash anyways.

mr-t-o.gif

Interesting thought.

It's a cute theory, and I hope the same, but I don't think there will be any effect. There's really nothing at that same level in either HA or Clink this round to make any BSD have to choose. Maybe the ACTION cover and even then, I doubt the same guys who are going after that will be going after the Wolverine page (and vice-versa). If there is someone who does want both, well...they can probably afford both. Gonna be fun to watch!

mr-t-o.gif

Interesting thought.

It's a cute theory, and I hope the same, but I don't think there will be any effect. There's really nothing at that same level in either HA or Clink this round to make any BSD have to choose. Maybe the ACTION cover and even then, I doubt the same guys who are going after that will be going after the Wolverine page (and vice-versa). If there is someone who does want both, well...they can probably afford both. Gonna be fun to watch!

This page should bring more money than just about any other page in our hobby save very early bats, supes and spidey covers or splashes. The fact the 181 interior is gone even adds more to the desirability of this one. Wolverine may very well be the second most popular comic hero today after batman. If the cover to 181 is still in existence than I could see that going for more as well as the covers and interiors to Action 1, AF 15 and ASM 1, Tec 27 and similar. As far as I understand most of all of these ( on the DC side) are not thought to have survived. Bottom line the list of more desirable comic art pieces is very short indeed.

mr-t-o.gif

Interesting thought.

No problem. But it isn't my "cute" theory, it was Gene's......

mr-t-o.gif

Interesting thought.

No problem. But it isn't my "cute" theory, it was Gene's......

I know.

Certainly, lots from the same artist/title can compete for the same dollars. And perhaps trophy pieces of the same caliber will compete against each other as well. But I don't see much similarity between Wolverine's first appearance and anything else being offered at this point.

(There's also the possibility that if I knew an A+ piece from an artist/title would be in an upcoming auction, I might bid even more aggressively for the A piece from the same artist/title in the current auction. The reason being that the eventual A+ sale may raise values higher across the board...so better to get ahead of that.)

Edited by Nexus

I know.

Certainly, lots from the same artist/title can compete for the same dollars. And perhaps trophy pieces of the same caliber will compete against each other as well. But I don't see much similarity between Wolverine's first appearance and anything else being offered at this point.

I don't think there have to be any direct alternatives, per se, to the #180 page. If you're a serious buyer for the #180 page, you might not want to spend $25K here or $50K there (which could easily all add up to a much bigger number) on smaller pieces when you might need a krazy sum to take the #180 page home.

All speculation, of course. Though, I wouldn't have mentioned it if I didn't think I had a pretty good basis for doing so. ;)hm