• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Classic Cover" in the Copper Age?

44 posts in this topic

Why do keys not count as classic covers? (shrug)

They do ! :screwy:

Show me a slab of a key (1st appearance) with "classic cover" on the label. I've only been looking over the last week, but I've never seen one.

Show me a slab of a key (1st appearance) with "classic cover" on the label. I've only been looking over the last week, but I've never seen one.

From the Overstreet glossary:

CLASSIC COVER - A cover considered by collectors to be highly desirable because of its subject matter, artwork, historical importance, etc.

CGC is inconsistent when noting this designation on the label. Sometimes they will follow Overstreet, sometimes they decide what is a "classic cover".

The most recent books I can think of with this designation are Iron Man 128 and Ghost Rider 35 (both from 1979).

Oh ! "on the label"? I don't know what CGC considers classic , I was assuming what those board members overwhelmingly considered "classic" .

Off the top of my head , I would personally think ASM #50 , maybe #122 , GL #76 , SS #4 , FF #12? , and several other X-Men , Avengers , FF's , ASM , etc. Especially some Neal Adam's one's.

:foryou:

CLASSIC COVER - A cover considered by collectors to be highly desirable because of its subject matter, artwork, historical importance, etc.

CGC is inconsistent when noting this designation on the label. Sometimes they will follow Overstreet, sometimes they decide what is a "classic cover".

The most recent books I can think of with this designation are Iron Man 128 and Ghost Rider 35 (both from 1979).

hm , neither of those have "classic cover" on their CGC labels. The oldest one I remember seeing is Batman #251 from 1973. There's gotta be a newer one.

Oh ! "on the label"? I don't know what CGC considers classic , I was assuming what those board members overwhelmingly considered "classic" .

Off the top of my head , I would personally think ASM #50 , maybe #122 , GL #76 , SS #4 , FF #12? , and several other X-Men , Avengers , FF's , ASM , etc. Especially some Neal Adam's one's.

None of the comics you listed has a "classic cover". I thought SS #4 would have the best chance considering it's not a 1st Appearance key but it doesn't.

None of the comics you listed has a "classic cover". I thought SS #4 would have the best chance considering it's not a 1st Appearance key but it doesn't.

Avengers #57? , 96? , 100? , X-Men #50? , Avengers #4 ?

Ff #48 ?

Ff #48 ?

I'm sorry , just re-read title. Are we just limiting this to copper age still? (shrug)hm

Ff #48 ?

I'm sorry , just re-read title. Are we just limiting this to copper age still? (shrug)hm

ASM #300 ?

Ff #48 ?

Like I said before, keys with 1st appearances won't have the "classic cover" label (from what I've seen so far). This is what this whole thread is about. :)

Ff #48 ?

Like I said before, keys with 1st appearances won't have the "classic cover" label (from what I've seen so far). This is what this whole thread is about. :)

Oh , now you tell me ! :tonofbricks:

Ff #48 ?

What does Avg.'s #4 say ? 1st app. silver age cap ? , but no "classic cover" designation? (although it's considered such around these parts. :whistle:

Ff #48 ?

What does Avg.'s #4 say ? 1st app. silver age cap ? , but no "classic cover" designation? (although it's considered such around these parts. :whistle:

I've assumed that because these keys have the "First Appearance" of whomever already on the label that they don't need the extra "classic cover" notation.

I'll have to search the board archives to see if anyone has ever made a list of CGC's "classic cover" comics.

Ff #48 ?

I've assumed that because these keys have the "First Appearance" of whomever already on the label that they don't need the extra "classic cover" notation.

I'll have to search the board archives to see if anyone has ever made a list of CGC's "classic cover" comics.

See if you can get this one inducted while your at it ? :baiting:

300px-AmazingSpider-Man263.jpg

hm , neither of those have "classic cover" on their CGC labels. The oldest one I remember seeing is Batman #251 from 1973. There's gotta be a newer one.

What'd you look at, like one example? Once again, CGC is INCONSISTENT on this.

im128-3.jpg

im128-2.jpg

im128.jpg