• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why Doesn't CGC have a 9.7 grade?

157 posts in this topic

the bad stigma about modern 9.6 books is starting to become pretty lame....unless its a 9.6 SS, its a worthless book, in general..

why doesn't CGC start using a 9.7 grade (shrug)

they would make a TRUCKLOADS of money off of people re-subbing 9.6 books...

why don't they do this??

You bring up a good point...but why fix something that isn't broken :)

that mentality has been running rampant around these boards lately (ie with the new FS sub-forums)...but again, if we followed that logic, we'd all be running around cave-man style trying to kill our own food every night :)

who wouldn't rush out to score a new 9.7 slab?

more collector's would sub their 9.6/9.8 books, they'd get a ton of re-subs, they'd create some more CGC 'hype', and yeah...for us collectors, it wouldn't be a pitfall of death from 9.8 to 9.6!

who wouldn't rush out to score a new 9.7 slab?

Me.

Who would want to pay more than a 9.6 price and not get a 9.8? ????

The same reason they don't have a 9.5, or 9.3, or 9.1..

9.3 would be murder. :eek:

9.3 = So close to NM but it's not, loser.

I don't think there is a necessarily a "stigma" attached to modern 9.6's. It's just that there's no dearth of them hence they aren't commanding top dollar. Are you arguing that modern 9.6 slabs should be worth a premium? Sorry if I'm misunderstanding but 9.6 slabs of anything post 1980 that didn't endure some historically bad production resulting in a lack of NM books shouldn't really be worth a whole lot of $$$. Just because it is in a 9.6 slab doesn't necessarily mean that someone should have to pay a premium of the 9.2 guide value plus the cost of slabbing....should a 9.6 slab go for any more than at most 1.5 of the OS 9.2 guide price? You're buying the book not the slab right?

i meant who wouldn't re-sub a 9.6 in hopes of getting a 9.7 or higher grade...

Having a 9.7 grade would probably work against a resubmitter. If the grader thought that it was better than 9.6, then it would stand a shot at coming back 9.8 but if there was a 9.7 grade then the chances of getting that 9.8 would be much lower.

I don't think there is a necessarily a "stigma" attached to modern 9.6's. It's just that there's no dearth of them hence they aren't commanding top dollar. Are you arguing that modern 9.6 slabs should be worth a premium? Sorry if I'm misunderstanding but 9.6 slabs of anything post 1980 that didn't endure some historically bad production resulting in a lack of NM books shouldn't really be worth a whole lot of $$$. Just because it is in a 9.6 slab doesn't necessarily mean that someone should have to pay a premium of the 9.2 guide value plus the cost of slabbing....should a 9.6 slab go for any more than at most 1.5 of the OS 9.2 guide price? You're buying the book not the slab right?

not claiming that they should be worth a 'premium' by any means...but when you look at prices of 9.6 slabs getting about 1/4th the value of 9.8s, you gotta wonder

i meant who wouldn't re-sub a 9.6 in hopes of getting a 9.7 or higher grade...

Having a 9.7 grade would probably work against a resubmitter. If the grader thought that it was better than 9.6, then it would stand a shot at coming back 9.8 but if there was a 9.7 grade then the chances of getting that 9.8 would be much lower.

i understand your logic...but a 9.7 would certainly be better than a 9.6 :)

To answer the OP, why doesn't CGC have a 9.7 grade, because it doesn't exist. It's like asking why can't I go on a unicorn ride. The scale is what it is. Certain flaws are allowed in a 9.8, more than that goes to 9.6 and on down.

What the OP really wants is a book that is "worth more" than a 9.6 but not a 9.8. The answer is simple. If you are worried about the re-sale value of the (modern) books you are slabbing, pre-screen them for 9.8. Even better learn the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8. No 9.6s, no problems.