• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why Doesn't CGC have a 9.7 grade?

157 posts in this topic

To answer the OP, why doesn't CGC have a 9.7 grade, because it doesn't exist. It's like asking why can't I go on a unicorn ride. The scale is what it is. Certain flaws are allowed in a 9.8, more than that goes to 9.6 and on down.

What the OP really wants is a book that is "worth more" than a 9.6 but not a 9.8. The answer is simple. If you are worried about the re-sale value of the (modern) books you are slabbing, pre-screen them for 9.8. Even better learn the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8. No 9.6s, no problems.

Have you lost your mind !!! :mad:

Stop using logic here :baiting:

To answer the OP, why doesn't CGC have a 9.7 grade, because it doesn't exist. It's like asking why can't I go on a unicorn ride. The scale is what it is. Certain flaws are allowed in a 9.8, more than that goes to 9.6 and on down.

What the OP really wants is a book that is "worth more" than a 9.6 but not a 9.8. The answer is simple. If you are worried about the re-sale value of the (modern) books you are slabbing, pre-screen them for 9.8. Even better learn the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8. No 9.6s, no problems.

Hi, Pat. Most days, logic is all I have . . .

Hi, Pat. Most days, logic is all I have . . .

Pocket lint and ear wax ? (shrug)

OK, this guy needs validation, and because there too many critical spoons on this board I am going to have to be the one to give it to him.

Yes, that's a wonderful idea. In certain cases this makes a tremendous amount of sense. Who knows, maybe you are ahead of your time and one day in the future CGC will do this. I am sure once they do it, it's here to stay. Definitely a good idea. Creativity always gets haters spouting. Mainly because they are jealous that they did not come up with the idea themselves. And you're right, if the world stopped being creative we would be stuck.

There are already imperceptible differences between many ueber high grade moderns. Grading consistency would probably go down the crapper with intermediate grades between the existing 9.+ books.

Remember the short-lived grading company "ACE"? They used a system like that.

^^

Even if this mythical 9.7 grade did exist, it probably wouldn't command much of a premium over a 9.6 - like Colin said there is a stigma amongst modern collectors for books lower than a 9.8, but adding a 9.7 grade is not going to do anything to change that.

As far as I'm concerned, unless it's one of the very few modern books that are genuinely near impossible to find in 9.8, it doesn't matter whether it's a 9.7, 9.6, 9.5, 9.4, 9.3, 9.2, etc - if it's not a 9.8, I'm not interested.

The only reason it doesn't exist is because CGC has not assigned a 9.7 grade. They have a 9.9, so there is no reason they could not have a 9.7. Not that I'm arguing for it. As a matter of fact, I think they should do away with the 9.9 grade and stick to .2 intervals.

Ken

The reason why nothing below 9.8 (and even then, it's debatable) is worth a dime, is because...they ain't worth a dime...there's 25,000 of the puppies. doh!

You're suggesting manufacturing a grade to 'add value'. :o

When the did we get so lost? :(

Sometime after the Boston Tea Party (shrug)

The reason why nothing below 9.8 (and even then, it's debatable) is worth a dime, is because...they ain't worth a dime...there's 25,000 of the puppies. doh!

Hater

And as an addendum...

Collect what you want to collect. (thumbs u

But don't demand that it has 'value'. meh

Ahh. But if you collect what you like should it not hold value to the one who owns it ?

Pat the Philosipher

Indeed it should...even if you're incapable of spelling 'philosopher' :baiting:

However, trying to finesse the system so that others 'value' your collection seem to miss the whole point, IMHO. (shrug)

Hater

I am...but it's truly restricted to you. (thumbs u

Hater

I am...but it's truly restricted to you. (thumbs u

:signfunny:

And as an addendum...

Ahh. But if you collect what you like should it not hold value to the one who owns it ?

Pat the Philosipher

That's the real problem, dude. People sink bread that they should not be sinking into comics in the first place. Then they have to be able to get that "value" out of those books at sometime in the future. Good Luck. That is where the rubber meets the road with the "Comics are a commodity, thank god," scenario. And it is also the problem.

Most commodities are fungible which means there is no perceptible difference between this bushel of soybeans and that one over there or that barrel of heating oil there and this one here. Not true with comics. There is an argument for fungibility among items that are practically the same (i.e. all 9.8 Goon #1s) but for a 9.6 Goon #1 and a 9.8 Goon #1, there is a perceived difference, thus all the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

The argument for a 9.7 grade is no different than the old chestnut that since there is no "real" difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 there should be no difference in price. Well, that's not the way it is, and wishing won't make it so.

And as an addendum...

Pat the Philosipher

Indeed it should...even if you're incapable of spelling 'philosopher' :baiting:

However, trying to finesse the system so that others 'value' your collection seem to miss the whole point, IMHO. (shrug)

I thought the spelling was wrong, but the point was correct. Worrying about the volatile market of moderns is such a mistake to begin with. The books can rise and fall at the tip of the hat. There is no reason to collect modern slabs unless you have no other interest than enjoying the book. In which case the designation or value should be seperate.

I own 9.6's and a wealth more 9.8's in moderns. I would say this. I pay accordingly, and am happy with all the books except maybe 2 I would like to upgrade. These books in my collection are part of a greater goal, and are realistically a "money pit". If I did decide to sell I would be excited to break even. But when collecting a book that has no value monetarily (if thats your concern) then it is your own fault to not pre-screen your books. Or learn what should be a 9.8 at least thats what I have done. Be extremely picky about what you submit, look for flawless books.

But all in all the 9.7 is a ridiculous idea that caters to a modern market. The 9.5 was a bad idea also. If anything I would think they have too many Deisgnations for the HG's as is. The difference between a 9.4 and 9.6 is what? A 1/4" crease ? People are half off their rockers for chasing these things anyways.

And at the end of the day. Buy the label, not the book right? Or was it the other way around? I dont remember.. :baiting: