• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why Doesn't CGC have a 9.7 grade?

157 posts in this topic

And as an addendum...

Collect what you want to collect. (thumbs u

But don't demand that it has 'value'. meh

Ahh. But if you collect what you like should it not hold value to the one who owns it ?

Pat the Philosipher

That's the real problem, dude. People sink bread that they should not be sinking into comics in the first place. Then they have to be able to get that "value" out of those books at sometime in the future. Good Luck. That is where the rubber meets the road with the "Comics are a commodity, thank god," scenario. And it is also the problem.

Most commodities are fungible which means there is no perceptible difference between this bushel of soybeans and that one over there or that barrel of heating oil there and this one here. Not true with comics. There is an argument for fungibility among items that are practically the same (i.e. all 9.8 Goon #1s) but for a 9.6 Goon #1 and a 9.8 Goon #1, there is a perceived difference, thus all the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

The argument for a 9.7 grade is no different than the old chestnut that since there is no "real" difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 there should be no difference in price. Well, that's not the way it is, and wishing won't make it so.

If you treat comics as anything less than a hobby expect to get burned. If you think every quarter will bring you two. Be ready for some BIG letdowns.

And Sean. I expect to make a few bucks off my books when I sell. But what do you think the value of Adams Tec's will be in another 15-20 years? Or my GA books? My CA stuff? The ones worth money now, will be the ones worth money later. The junk will always be junk.

And as an addendum...

Ahh. But if you collect what you like should it not hold value to the one who owns it ?

Pat the Philosipher

That's the real problem, dude. People sink bread that they should not be sinking into comics in the first place. Then they have to be able to get that "value" out of those books at sometime in the future. Good Luck. That is where the rubber meets the road with the "Comics are a commodity, thank god," scenario. And it is also the problem.

Most commodities are fungible which means there is no perceptible difference between this bushel of soybeans and that one over there or that barrel of heating oil there and this one here. Not true with comics. There is an argument for fungibility among items that are practically the same (i.e. all 9.8 Goon #1s) but for a 9.6 Goon #1 and a 9.8 Goon #1, there is a perceived difference, thus all the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

The argument for a 9.7 grade is no different than the old chestnut that since there is no "real" difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 there should be no difference in price. Well, that's not the way it is, and wishing won't make it so.

fungible :cloud9:

And as an addendum...

Pat the Philosipher

If you treat comics as anything less than a hobby expect to get burned. If you think every quarter will bring you two. Be ready for some BIG letdowns.

And Sean. I expect to make a few bucks off my books when I sell. But what do you think the value of Adams Tec's will be in another 15-20 years? Or my GA books? My CA stuff? The ones worth money now, will be the ones worth money later. The junk will always be junk.

You can say that if you want to, Pat, but I am not buying it. I don't know what comics are going to be worth in the future. Whether there will be a market for them or not. I really don't. And I don't think you do either.

I had an acquaintence three years ago tell me I was the dumbest motherf-er in the world for not buying all the Florida real estate I could get my hands on. Guaranteed 20-30% appreciation per year. Like shooting fish in a barrel. Best of all, he said was doing "pre-buys" where you buy the right to build-out a condo, and sell it for a profit to some other schmuck who was clamoring to get down on the Florida real estate as well. I'm pretty glad I didn't follow his advice right now.

Everyone hopes their comics are going to appreciate in value. If nothing else, it is an ego boost. But if you need them to appreciate in value, then you are spending bread on comics that you should be saving or including in another investment vehicle.

And as an addendum...

Pat the Philosipher

You can say that if you want to, Pat, but I am not buying it. I don't know what comics are going to be worth in the future. Whether there will be a market for them or not. I really don't. And I don't think you do either.

I had an acquaintence three years ago tell me I was the dumbest motherf-er in the world for not buying all the Florida real estate I could get my hands on. Guaranteed 20-30% appreciation per year. Like shooting fish in a barrel. Best of all, he said was doing "pre-buys" where you buy the right to build-out a condo, and sell it for a profit to some other schmuck who was clamoring to get down on the Florida real estate as well. I'm pretty glad I didn't follow his advice right now.

Everyone hopes their comics are going to appreciate in value. If nothing else, it is an ego boost. But if you need them to appreciate in value, then you are spending bread on comics that you should be saving or including in another investment vehicle.

I will sell eventually, and hope to regain some of my cash. But realistically. I am just keeping the ones I like to look at now. I dont buy a book because it is worth something. I buy a book because I want to own it.

The reason why nothing below 9.8 (and even then, it's debatable) is worth a dime, is because...they ain't worth a dime...there's 25,000 of the puppies. doh!

You're suggesting manufacturing a grade to 'add value'. :o

When the did we get so lost? :(

Hater

I am...but it's truly restricted to you. (thumbs u

:cry:

I need something to differentiate my 1.5's from my 1.8's.

1.7 !!!!!

Use the whole label!

:sumo:

I need something to differentiate my 1.5's from my 1.8's.

1.7 !!!!!

Use the whole label!

:sumo:

same here 3.14159265358979323846

doh! Great, we've come full-circle.

I actually like CGC 9.6's. If I want a really nice slabbed modern book, I'm not gonna waste (at least it's a waste in my opinion) a huge amount of money buying a 9.8 copy of a common book. I'll just get a far cheaper copy which is damned dificult to tell the difference from the next higher graded copy. ^^

I actually like CGC 9.6's. If I want a really nice slabbed modern book, I'm not gonna waste (at least it's a waste in my opinion) a huge amount of money buying a 9.8 copy of a common book. I'll just get a far cheaper copy which is damned dificult to tell the difference from the next higher graded copy. ^^
Not always that much harder. It is generally one small defect. But you are pretty much on point with the comment. BA 9.6's are generally a bit cheaper than the 9.8 counterparts.

Not always that much harder. It is generally one small defect. But you are pretty much on point with the comment. BA 9.6's are generally a bit cheaper than the 9.8 counterparts.

I know from my own submission that even CGC aren't always that sure on the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8. :gossip:

Also I would say that sometimes the price difference can be very significant.

I know from my own submission that even CGC aren't always that sure on the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8. :gossip:

I agree. I think you have better luck with pre-screens as well. Its insurance they get paid well.

And the difference between a 9.6 and 9.8 even on some CA is unreal. ASM 301, Punisher 1, and Cap annual 8 come to mind.

I agree. I think you have better luck with pre-screens as well. Its insurance they get paid well.

And the difference between a 9.6 and 9.8 even on some CA is unreal. ASM 301, Punisher 1, and Cap annual 8 come to mind.

(thumbs u

I'm well happy with my New Mutants # 87 & # 98 in CGC 9.6. No way would I fork out for a 9.8 (or a 9.7).

To answer the OP, why doesn't CGC have a 9.7 grade, because it doesn't exist. It's like asking why can't I go on a unicorn ride.

lol lol lol lol That deserves a space in my sigline

The grading scale has been perfected, messing with it would be a bad idea.

However, I am surprised nobody has mentioned the idea of a 100 point scale. Essentially, it is what we use today, but they round up or down to make it simple. A comic has a grade between 1-100, with 5 being poor .5, and 100 being 10.0 Gem Mint. You can assign any number between 1-100 for a comic.

That would really screw with people. "My 44 looks better than your 46". Can you imagine published grading definitions for a 100 point scale? It is tough enough now. In fact, I would submit that 9.9 is useless. 9.8 should go directly to 10.

Adding 9.5 or 9.7 to CGC is a really bad idea.