• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why Doesn't CGC have a 9.7 grade?

157 posts in this topic

It certainly is reasonable to look at other collecting fields to see what has gone before. It also brings up an original point thread, which is that CGC may elect to make a business decision to add 9.5 and 9.7 grades (for example). It doesn't necessarily have to be demanded by the market, per se. The market didn't demand blue labels for GA books with small amounts of resto. CGC can chart it's own course, and perhaps influence events all on its own.

That's totally true, but that should be a given in a discussion like this. That's like "Hey, Ford engineers, I, the CEO of Ford, want you to make the mustang with this type of polymer composite body design, because it'll (insert any reasoning here)"

The market may not demand it, but Ford is still free to do it.

Back in the 90's, some manufacturers were toying with the idea of "green" vehicles, and the Hybrid was born. They weren't required to do this, by anyone (not the market or government), but they anticipated that the market would eventually demand such vehicles...and, especially in light of the gas crunch last year, the market caught up to this. The market demanded hybrid vehicles, and those companies that could provide them (Toyota, Honda) have seen substantial benefits because of their foresight, while companies that failed to invest in the technology (GM, Chrysler)....well, we all know what's happening to them. If gas prices had stayed where they were, the companies that did not manufacture SOME type of uberfuel efficient vehicle would be doomed, because they would not or could not provide what the market demanded.

As far as influencing, certainly, CGC holds a tremendous influence over how the slabbed market operates, and rightfully so. But influence, as ever, is not control, and that's the key distinction.

The slabbed market would not (currently) exist without CGC's past efforts, and CGC would not exist without the slabbed market. But whereas the slabbed market could theoretically now survive without CGC, CGC could not survive without the slabbed market....particularly that part of the market that CGC services.

Distilling that to this particular topic, whereas CGC could, at this time, choose to add a 9.7 and 9.5 (or other numbers), when it becomes clear that the market demands them, CGC will have no choice but to comply or lose market share.

Also, as for the 9.5 grade, I think if you polled the board posters here, you'd find a certain level of contempt for Wizard and their involvement in professional grading. The Wizard 9.5 was doomed to fail.

True, which was "the context" I was talking about earlier.

Good points, RMA.

It certainly is reasonable to look at other collecting fields to see what has gone before. It also brings up an original point thread, which is that CGC may elect to make a business decision to add 9.5 and 9.7 grades (for example). It doesn't necessarily have to be demanded by the market, per se. The market didn't demand blue labels for GA books with small amounts of resto. um... yes, it did CGC can chart it's own course, and perhaps influence events all on its own.

Also, as for the 9.5 grade, I think if you polled the board posters here, you'd find a certain level of contempt for Wizard and their involvement in professional grading. The Wizard 9.5 was doomed to fail.

The 9.5 grade had nothing to do with an extra point on the grading scale, and is therefore irrelevant to this discussion. Well, maybe relevant in relation to the comics market rejecting the Wizard/CGC gimmick.

Good points, RMA.

It certainly is reasonable to look at other collecting fields to see what has gone before. It also brings up an original point thread, which is that CGC may elect to make a business decision to add 9.5 and 9.7 grades (for example). It doesn't necessarily have to be demanded by the market, per se. The market didn't demand blue labels for GA books with small amounts of resto. um... yes, it did CGC can chart it's own course, and perhaps influence events all on its own.

The 9.5 grade had nothing to do with an extra point on the grading scale, and is therefore irrelevant to this discussion. Well, maybe relevant in relation to the comics market rejecting the Wizard/CGC gimmick.

Anybody wish to back up this post's assertion that the market demanded the blue label for slight GA restoration?

To my recall, this has been denigrated repeatedly in threads on the board.

Good thing, then, that CGC didn't call their Modern slabs "Wizard Age" like they originally wanted to in 1999 :blush:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=3065670&Searchpage=1&Main=155347&Words=wizard+Moondog&topic=0&Search=true#Post3065670

Yeah, I remember that. lol That would have been 'goodbye, CGC credibility' with the non-speculator-Wizard-reading established collectors

This thread makes my brain hurt with all its hypotheticals, abstractions, and personifications.

Here's the real skinny: Implementation of a scale that worked upon tenths of a point would be a harbinger of doom for the hobby. You think people have a hard time differentiating between grades now? You think the monetary divides based upon imperceptible differences is zany now? Oh brother.

I'd say quit arguing over who can more eloquently put forth an argument for knowing how the market works and simply look at the impragmatic nature of the proposal. :sumo:

Agree,

See my first post.

Still, RMAs insight from the coin market is appreciated, and the question of sub grades is bound to reappear in the future.

Um.

Ok.

If the final result is the same (the existence of a "9.5" grade), does it matter how they got there.......?

Good points, RMA.

FYI: did you know, that during the early CGC "meetings & discussions" about the protocols for the impending business model, "some" wanted to call the MODERN AGE the WIZARD AGE :o

I know that quite a few at that meeting went NUT BALLS when that suggestion was offered :screwy:

I mean, think about it....that was a MAJOR disaster waiting to happen doh!

Good points, RMA.

FYI: did you know, that during the early CGC "meetings & discussions" about the protocols for the impending business model, "some" wanted to call the MODERN AGE the WIZARD AGE :o

I know that quite a few at that meeting went NUT BALLS when that suggestion was offered :screwy:

Thanks for that, Danny.... :P

With your vaunted intelligence, did you miss the fact that point was made just one page previously? lol

Good points, RMA.

Thanks for that, Danny.... :P

With your vaunted intelligence, did you miss the fact that point was made just one page previously? lol

WOW...I have a cyber-stalker doh!

CGC did do a 9.5 grade previously (in association with Wizard) - it was a huge flop, and was discontinued faster that you can say "wow - that 9.5 grade was a huge flop".

One thing to remember about the 9.5 was that it was not truly a grade between the 9.4 and the 9.6. That is how it is being utilized for discussion here. My recollection is that the book could have been anywhere from 9.4 - 9.8 and it got the 9.5. I'm not sure how that plays into the discussion, but my recollection is that it was not truly analogous to the 9.7 that is being proposed here.

I'm not sure I buy into RMA's hypothesis, but it is well presented and compelling. I think it is important to remember that the 9.5 was actually a range grade as opposed to the "pinpoint" grade between two grades.

it would be ludicrous to try to eak out another bunch of grades to go for a money grab.

I can see it now.....resub the 9.63 in hopes of a 9.65.

The slabbing process alone would drop the grade by .05 if done correctly, the minute there's some bumpage in the slab...you've lost another .05 or more.....

imperfect as it is, it should just be left alone.

hi colin with two 'l's :)

definitely not asking for 'another bunch of grades'...just wondering why they don't add 1 more

i've certainly already addressed that adding .01, .25 and other divisions doesn't make sense..

adding a 9.7 which could have 2-3 defects DOES make sense, at least to me...

10.0=no defects

9.9=.5-1 defect

9.8=1-2 defects

9.7=2-3 defects

9.6=3-5 defects

what's so difficult to understand about the idea??

I guess so.... Doesn't bother me either way, but since resubs already can get to on either side at 9.6 or 9.8, and it's quite subjective, adding more grades increases the resub subjectivity equation. I'm not sure it's good for the hobby, CGC maybe, hobby probably not. If it doesn't make 9.8.... It's 9.6