• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CATMAN #26

18 posts in this topic

Hi, I just got a CATMAN # 26 in around fine+ condition . Only it has a .15 cent cover price and no date anywhere in the book. It was distrubited by Gordon & Gotch. LTD. Sydney. Melbourne . & was published by Page Publications.

I was just wondering if anyone has any idea what year it was printed? or a rough value? or anything?

Thank you for your time!!!!

From Wiki:

Australian Revision

Cat-Man would appear in a radically-altered, black-and-white version by Australian publisher Gordon & Gotch when American import laws during WWII hindered access to the Holyoke comics. In this Australian revision, Cat-Man had no secret identity or powers, and continued to wear the Crash Comics outfit. However, Cat-Man was a superb fighter and a brilliant inventor, armed with a Luger pistol, a pair of night vision goggles with the ability to temporarily blind foes with a light that emanated from the goggles, and a utility belt similar to Batman's.

Cat-Man was based in a mountaintop headquarters, with his primary area of operations being that of the Australian outback. However, when situations needed he would range all over the globe to fight crime. When he did so, he was assisted by his male sidekick, Kit; his fiancée Terri West, an employee of the United Nations; and her father, Professor West, a famous scientist.

The Australian Cat-Man would run for a shorter period than its predecessor, spanning twelve issues. In the 1950s, Tricho would reprint them as Catman Comics #13-22. The characters also appeared in the Giant Phantom Comics series.

As for rough value, good luck. I could find only a couple sales - both on Heritage. The most expensive book went for $60. Earlier a batch of a few books went for less. I didn't see a #26.

OK, here is a scan of (my) copy of Catman 19. Now I know this was released January 1963 because in teeny tiny letters on a coupon for a bodybuilding course on the back cover is the notation "C 1/63".

Why scan this issue? It was handy, and everyone likes a good cover, especially one not often seen - on this Board anyway.

Although there were many comics produced in Oz without an indicia (as it has come to be known), advertisers liked to know how much "bang for their buck" they were getting from those ads with the mail in coupons on the back pages.

So in miniscule print, the issue and date can often be found. Check your copy and see if this is the case.

This was a very well illustrated comic (by Australian standards) by John Dixon . His future lay not in "Catman", but "Air Hawk and the Flying Doctor", a daily through Sunday strip that became extremely popular, gained worldwide circulation and cemented John's position as one of the premier Australian Comic artists. His aeroplanes are very well executed and as noted in the linked article, his use of blacks and whites marked him as special.

As an aside, he is also a very pleasant fellow.

Here's the scan, they are not worth much (even here) rarely come up "in grade" due to the newsprint covers, but I'll always buy them if the price is right.

Oh, and Welcome to the Boards!

77738.jpg.7e409fb809d9d77d95e945c410e31ace.jpg

Edited by Duffman_Comics

Thank you for the welcome and all your helpful info.

I had hoped I might have found somthing special but ,over all It is still

a very interesting book, In very good condition for it's age . Someday when I'm dead and gone maby my son or daughter will find some intrest in what I have gathered over the years!! ( I can only hope!!) If not my wife will probaly sell everything I have at the swapmeet out of spite!!

Thank you for the welcome and all your helpful info.

I had hoped I might have found somthing special but ,over all It is still

a very interesting book, In very good condition for it's age . Someday when I'm dead and gone maby my son or daughter will find some intrest in what I have gathered over the years!! ( I can only hope!!) If not my wife will probaly sell everything I have at the swapmeet out of spite!!

They prefer the swap meet out of spite while you are still alive. When dead it's a toss up between eBay and the neighbor kid.

On 4/14/2009 at 8:55 AM, tjcorbaley said:

Hi, I just got a CATMAN # 26 in around fine+ condition . Only it has a .15 cent cover price and no date anywhere in the book. It was distrubited by Gordon & Gotch. LTD. Sydney. Melbourne . & was published by Page Publications.

I was just wondering if anyone has any idea what year it was printed? or a rough value? or anything?

Thank you for your time!!!!

Hi,

Is it possible that you may sell CATMAN #26 Australian version.

Kevin

Seeing as the OP hasn't been here in almost 10 years, I'm going to guess he's not going to see your request. I'd suggest you put up a post for the book in the WTB section, and see how you go. 

Good luck! 

Edited by Mecha_Fantastic