• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,018 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, walclark said:

Heritage has always been accommodating when I have had to return a raw book.  Once for undisclosed restoration and once for interior damage that brought the listed grade WAY down.  The only time I had a small problem was when the customer service rep that answered my email forgot to forward it to the comic book division.  Just resulted in a couple weeks delay.

Heritage has been pretty good to me but unfortunately this is an eBay purchase. I'm speaking with the seller now. I don't really want to return it because I like the book but I definitely overpaid for it in its current grade.  I'm trying to meet him halfway so hopefully the seller will be reasonable.:wishluck:

11 hours ago, Badger said:

Heritage has been pretty good to me but unfortunately this is an eBay purchase. I'm speaking with the seller now. I don't really want to return it because I like the book but I definitely overpaid for it in its current grade.  I'm trying to meet him halfway so hopefully the seller will be reasonable.:wishluck:

Got it.  Saw the “found it on Heritage” and assumed that’s where the book came from, but now see what you were referring to.  Good luck with working something out. :wishluck:

53 minutes ago, walclark said:

Got it.  Saw the “found it on Heritage” and assumed that’s where the book came from, but now see what you were referring to.  Good luck with working something out. :wishluck:

Me, too ... and me, too. 

On 5/13/2018 at 8:02 AM, Sqeggs said:

Me, too ... and me, too. 

Well, the seller has gone dark which makes me believe they knew there was damage but they just hoped I'd let it pass.  Disappointing behavior on their part but its been a while since someone tried to pull a fast one on me through eBay.  Guess it was my time?(shrug)

4 minutes ago, Badger said:

Well, the seller has gone dark which makes me believe they knew there was damage but they just hoped I'd let it pass.  Disappointing behavior on their part but its been a while since someone tried to pull a fast one on me through eBay.  Guess it was my time?(shrug)

That's too bad.  It's stories like this that make me leery of buying on eBay ... although, of course, sometimes I give in to temptation when it's a scarce book. 

18 hours ago, Badger said:

Sucks, but at least ebay typically sides with the buyer, especially when it's "item not as described."

This has probably been discussed before, and I put together some indicias to better understand the gap between All Winners 19 and All Winners 21. All Teen 20 (January 1947) appears to be the continuation of All Winners 19 (Fall 1946). Both were copyright by WESTERN FICTION PUBLISHING and the dates are sequentially correct although the Offices of Publication are different. The All Teen series became Teen Comics with issue 21, a long running series, and also copyright by WESTERN FICTION PUBLISHING, same as All Teen 20 and All Winners 19. So, it appears that All Winners 21 can not be part of that series. All Winners 21 (Winter 1946-7) is trickier. It shows copyright by YOUNG ALLIES INC.  Young Allies 20 (October 1946 and the last issue of that series) also shows a copyright by YOUNG ALLIES INC. and both show the Office Of Publication as 169 Pratt St, Meriden CT. it appears that All Winners 21 is really a continuation of the Young Allies series, not All Winners. Then we have All Winners V2 #1 (the Blonde Phantom cover). The indicia shows this one as  "All Winners Comics" and was copyright by CURRENT DETECTIVE STORIES as Vol 1 #1. This was a one shot and appears to have continued as All Western Winners as the inidicia of that book also shows "All Winners Comics," is also copyright CURRENT DETECTIVE STORIES and shows Vol 1 No 2. If anyone has other information about this odd sequencing, I'd love to hear about it.           

all winners 19.JPG

all teen 20.JPG

young allies 20.JPG

all winners 21.JPG

1 hour ago, Ameri said:

This has probably been discussed before, and I put together some indicias to better understand the gap between All Winners 19 and All Winners 21. All Teen 20 (January 1947) appears to be the continuation of All Winners 19 (Fall 1946). Both were copyright by WESTERN FICTION PUBLISHING and the dates are sequentially correct although the Offices of Publication are different. The All Teen series became Teen Comics with issue 21, a long running series, and also copyright by WESTERN FICTION PUBLISHING, same as All Teen 20 and All Winners 19. So, it appears that All Winners 21 can not be part of that series. All Winners 21 (Winter 1946-7) is trickier. It shows copyright by YOUNG ALLIES INC.  Young Allies 20 (October 1946 and the last issue of that series) also shows a copyright by YOUNG ALLIES INC. and both show the Office Of Publication as 169 Pratt St, Meriden CT. it appears that All Winners 21 is really a continuation of the Young Allies series, not All Winners. Then we have All Winners V2 #1 (the Blonde Phantom cover). The indicia shows this one as  "All Winners Comics" and was copyright by CURRENT DETECTIVE STORIES as Vol 1 #1. This was a one shot and appears to have continued as All Western Winners as the inidicia of that book also shows "All Winners Comics," is also copyright CURRENT DETECTIVE STORIES and shows Vol 1 No 2. If anyone has other information about this odd sequencing, I'd love to hear about it.           

all winners 19.JPG

all teen 20.JPG

young allies 20.JPG

all winners 21.JPG

Brain exploding

I can honestly say that I have never seen this, exact, idea discussed before.  Lots of speculation about the missing All Winners #20 but...nobody tying this together. :applause:

1 hour ago, Badger said:

I can honestly say that I have never seen this, exact, idea discussed before.  Lots of speculation about the missing All Winners #20 but...nobody tying this together. :applause:

Thanks! Here's All Winners V2 #1 (August 1948) and All Western Winners 2 (Winter 1948) indicias, both published by CURRENT DETECTIVE STORIES. In the All Western Winners 2 description,  OSPG says "formerly All Winners" but doesn't specify which All Winners series.

1st story.jpg

All Western Winners 2 is the 2nd issue INDICIA.jpg

20180514_083730.jpg

All Western Winners 2 is the 2nd issueB.jpg

INIDICIAS.JPG

Edited by Ameri

2 minutes ago, Ameri said:

Thanks! Here's All Winners V2 #1 (August 1948) and All Western Winners 2 (Winter 1948) indicias, both published by CURRENT DETECTIVE STORIES. In the All Western Winners 2 description,  OSPG says "formerly All Winners" but doesn't specify which All Winners series.

20180514_083730.jpg

:luhv:  Really need one of these. 

As you implied, there may be some common wisdom that escaped our notice but I do not recall anyone tying these books together so neatly.  Amazing considering the info was right there.  I've been collecting GA for 30 years and I don't remember this.  Does anyone?  I'm genuinely asking because I'd find it equally fascinating if someone points to an Overstreet Market Report, or something where this is laid out, and I did not know it.:roflmao::sorry:

19 hours ago, Badger said:

CGC seems to recognize All Teen Comics 20 as the missing All Winners 20.  (Scan from HA archives.)

all.jpg

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

CGC seems to recognize All Teen Comics 20 as the missing All Winners 20.  (Scan from HA archives.)

all.jpg

True...although I always took this as AW 19 AT 20 and then AW 21. Obviously a mistaken assumption on my part. :flamed::sorry:

1 hour ago, Badger said:

True...although I always took this as AW 19 AT 20 and then AW 21. Obviously a mistaken assumption on my part. :flamed::sorry:

It was just cheaper for Goodman to start a new teen comic using the next numerical # after AW19. The odd thing was that he went back to AW21. So you have an odd teen comic in between a run of Timely superheroes books and the #21. Wild, wild west of comics. 

23 hours ago, Ameri said:

all winners 19.JPG

all teen 20.JPG

young allies 20.JPG

all winners 21.JPG

I need a flowchart sir. :baiting::idea: