• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

22,992 posts in this topic

On 5/25/2019 at 12:18 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

I can now officially add these Timely Caps (HA wins) to acquisitions over the last six months...  :whee:

edited-image_zps1uztjtkp.png

edited-image_zps7ubq8jro.png

Were the HA scans juiced?

3 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Were the HA scans juiced?

Just my impression, but it sure looks like it.  It seems more jacked on newer holder books though. 

Heritage scanned images often look too bright, too color saturated and too flat.  However, it's difficult getting a good scan with newer CGC holders, so this isn't all Heritage's fault.  My HP scanner is pretty darn good, but it's still very difficult getting an accurate image because the lip depth of newer holders prevents books from catching as much light as the label.  Older holders occasionally have other scanning issues, but not this problem.

After rescanning and tweaking images with Photo-bucket editing tools ...including the redacted labels... the images I've posted are very close to how these books look in hand, inside holders, for better or worse.  

4 hours ago, Badger said:

Nice one, Marty! That looks like one you should get graded!

Thanks!...I had it graded, CGC 5.5, Cream to Off-White...just don't have a good scan of the graded copy.

(#0219818002)

Marty

Edited by Marty Mann

14 hours ago, sartrexpress said:

some of the San Francisco Timely's I have in my collection

all winners 7 9.4.vvjpg_edited-1.jpg

all winners 12 sf 9.4.jpg

marvel 28 8.5vv.jpg

mystic 3 9.0vv .jpg

Those are great books, Steve. I used to own that Marvel 28. I originally bought it at a Houston Con in 78 or so from Carl Macek, who was working for The American Comic Book Co. I paid $90 for it. He had 28 and 29, both beautiful, and I believe now that both were San Fransiscos. The 29 turned up years later with some color touch up. I had the 28 for at least twenty years before I let it go in some boneheaded deal. Glad it has a good home.

On 5/28/2019 at 12:17 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

Just my impression, but it sure looks like it.  It seems more jacked on newer holder books though. 

Heritage scanned images often look too bright, too color saturated and too flat.  However, it's difficult getting a good scan with newer CGC holders, so this isn't all Heritage's fault.  My HP scanner is pretty darn good, but it's still very difficult getting an accurate image because the lip depth of newer holders prevents books from catching as much light as the label.  Older holders occasionally have other scanning issues, but not this problem.

After rescanning and tweaking images with Photo-bucket editing tools ...including the redacted labels... the images I've posted are very close to how these books look in hand, inside holders, for better or worse.  

FE1F78C4-92C7-45EF-A7C1-73BAAF7099A7.thumb.jpeg.ac35bec0e4a3a2efc6f59f37b88902a2.jpeg

Here's the comparison shot I made of your 2 books from the other thread.  Left: Heritage, Right: Your color adjusted to match the book in hand after purchasing. 

I've found Heritage scans to be noticeably brighter than the books appear in hand. It is hard to get an approximate scan, I've found I have to adjust differently for each book, and then often readjust after scanning. I've also got a cheap Epson, which doesn't help. I find it near impossible to get all the colors to look like the book, and usually end up tweaking towards the best match for the dominant color. 

On 5/30/2019 at 3:36 PM, Knightsofold said:

FE1F78C4-92C7-45EF-A7C1-73BAAF7099A7.thumb.jpeg.ac35bec0e4a3a2efc6f59f37b88902a2.jpeg

Here's the comparison shot I made of your 2 books from the other thread.  Left: Heritage, Right: Your color adjusted to match the book in hand after purchasing. 

This is just a follow-up to get into the nitty gritty of what's goin' on in these scans.  It may not put this issue to bed, but here are my observations comparing the side by side images gratefully provided by knightsofold.  

The encapsulated book is marginally brighter, with a tad more color than my rescanned, corrected image on the right.  That said, achieving perfect color balance & accuracy is extremely difficult in a straight-forward scan because of the lip depth of CGC's current holder.  To reiterate, my rescanned, slightly tweaked image as presented here is very close, ...much closer to how the book actually looks in hand.

Unfortunately, HA's image, on the left, comes across as totally blown out to me, grossly misrepresenting the book's color, depth of field and detail.  Proof is in the fact that the pale blue CGC trademark in the center of the label almost disappears in HA's image (IMO, this would not occur in an accurate scan).  

Also, if you look closely at both images, the thumb on Cap's right hand quite literally disappears in the left scan ...the warlord's blade apparently having severed it.  Fortunately, Cap's thumb miraculously reappears in the right image reshot on my own trusty scanner.  Again, I'm not casting blame on Heritage for any perceived inability in getting an accurate scan from a difficult source.  I'll leave it to others to sort out the causes for image inaccuracy and what needs to be done to fix perception issues for future auctions.

Edited by Cat-Man_America