• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

22,992 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:

The imaging done by Heritage looks perfect and professional - MUCH better than the images on CC, CLink, or anywhere else. They don't need to change a thing. 2c

+1

17 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

This is just a follow-up to get into the nitty gritty of what's goin' on in these scans.  It may not put this issue to bed, but here are my observations comparing the side by side images gratefully provided by knightsofold.  

The encapsulated book is marginally brighter, with a tad more color than my rescanned, corrected image on the right.  That said, achieving perfect color balance & accuracy is extremely difficult in a straight-forward scan because of the lip depth of CGC's current holder.  To reiterate, my rescanned, slightly tweaked image as presented here is very close, ...much closer to how the book actually looks in hand.

Are you certain that the CGC case is the cause of your scanned color issues? I haven't noticed that result at all. But it is good to know that if something is going wrong the CGC cases are as good a scapegoat as anything. I really think the sonic seals are the cause of the recent drop in the stock market.

32 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Are you certain that the CGC case is the cause of your scanned color issues? I haven't noticed that result at all. But it is good to know that if something is going wrong the CGC cases are as good a scapegoat as anything. I really think the sonic seals are the cause of the recent drop in the stock market.

I think what catman is saying that due to the holder, the book surface itself is not directly on the scanner bed. It’s 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch away, and the distance affects the scan, and compensating for this distance can lead to some creativity 

2 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I think what catman is saying that due to the holder, the book surface itself is not directly on the scanner bed. It’s 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch away, and the distance affects the scan, and compensating for this distance can lead to some creativity 

I understand. And what I am saying is that scans I have taken with the new holders are not similarly affected. I have heard of no one else experiencing that effect and I would be curious if that effect as a result of lip depth of the holder is even a possibility. I am not ruling it out, just vigorously disputing it. I also love that that concern is coming from Cat, who I love, and who is also very adamant in his dislike of the new holders.

Edited by MrBedrock

15 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Just got back here, and haven't had time to read through all the posts, opinions, etc., but yes, I'm convinced that the lip depth of current holders is a key bad actor that requires recalibrating scanners or enhancing scanned images to achieve some semblance of color accuracy.  This is easy to prove as I have many older CGC scans (pre-NR holders) and have done the side by side comparisons.  Achieving bright, clear, accurate color images was never an issue before.  Older holders had other faults, but pale in comparison to this.  

Don't know about sonic seals, but I'm pretty darn sure my HP scanner didn't go on strike, deciding on it's own to darken only new holder scans.  If that proves to be the case, I'm sure there'll be an investigation & my scanner will go to jail. :wink:

This is not an effort by me to throw shade on either CGC or Heritage, but I see this is a serious enough problem that both businesses should be concerned.  Unfortunately, Heritage's reaction to difficulty with scanning newer holders seems to be boosting everything.  That's easy enough to do I suppose, but the downside is unrealistic, saturated color and the risk of disappointing auction winners receiving books that aren't as bright and colorful as the auction house scans.

I'm striving to be as objective as possible (constructive criticism shouldn't be seen as scapegoating).  No one is making this stuff up nor casting blame.  The scans are what they are, and yes, it's an issue that should be addressed ASAP.  Newton Rings are still an issue too, but there's a separate thread discussing that and possible fixes.  

:tink:

Edited by Cat-Man_America

Follow-up: Richard isn't seeing the same issues I'm seeing, so it isn't clear where the differences between our scanners are manifested.  hm

What I can do is show a new label scan before and after serious tweaking was required to get the color right (slightly cropped top and left side of holder in second image, but the same scan).

Here's the original scan, before & after color correction.  Alas, the billboard label is a bit oversaturated in the second image (being raised & closer to the surface of the holder), but the book is now accurately rendered:

Spoiler

CA43_zps1xqwdxrw.jpgedited-image_zpsbf7d441v.png

The image on the right is very close to how the book looks in hand.

Now I'll post a recent addition older label book that required minimal enhancement via Photo-bucket editing to bring image clarity up to what I'm seeing in hand (notice that the label matches book clarity)... 

Spoiler

8343043d-b56f-47bf-b823-4094e18cd724_zps

It's always possible that my scanner is somehow contributing to the problems I'm experiencing with new label holders, but I'm not seeing it.  

Note: These images haven't been cobbled together or heavily manipulated in a way to misrepresent how these books actually look.