• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,018 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Badger said:

My favorite Timely!:luhv:

While the visual perspective of this cover always felt wonky to me ...miniature German troops defending Hitler’s castle battling oversized heroes... the balance, symbolism & flawless execution make this cover a stand-out. 

All Select #1 presents Timely’s BIG three in their best elements, parachuting Cap blasting away with a Tommy gun, the Torch in full flight with pinball ricochet melting mayhem and finally Subby flexing his muscles while rising from a filled moat like an avenging Poseidon.  Objectively speaking, Alex Schomburg really captured the essence/spirit of these characters on this cover.

:tink:

1 minute ago, Cat-Man_America said:

While the visual perspective of this cover always felt wonky to me ...miniature German troops defending Hitler’s castle battling oversized heroes... the balance, symbolism & flawless execution make this cover a stand-out. 

All Select #1 presents Timely’s BIG three in their best elements, parachuting Cap blasting away with a Tommy gun, the Torch in full flight with pinball ricochet melting mayhem and finally Subby flexing his muscles while rising from a filled moat like an avenging Poseidon.  Objectively speaking, Alex Schomburg really captured the essence/spirit of these characters on this cover.

:tink:

Totally agree with most of this. I always loved the over-sized characters which were done to catch the eye of the pedestrian wondering past the newsstand plus drive home the point that these are the heroes! Bigger, cooler, and more awesome, in the literal sense of the word, than any of the nasty Nazis they are fighting. Timely, and Schomburg, played with a lot of cover layout styles to catch the eye and the over-sized characters are just another artistic element. Love them! :luhv: 

11 hours ago, sartrexpress said:

Seems like Cap or the Torch should be breaking in on this cover... IMO the most Timely non Timely cover Alex did..

Terrific 5 8.0 .,,.jpg

Agreed! I can't help but think that this book would be worth even MORE than it already is if that was Cap shooting the lever-wielding maniac! From the vantage point of the hooded guy in the chair, it's always reminded me of that old phrase, "Here's lookin up your old address!"

And just for a change of pace, a Canadian copy of Blonde Phantom 18. Ya didn't see THAT one coming, didja? :ohnoez: Fun fact: Billy and I compared this to his former American Edition and there's more blood on the guys shirt on the Canadian copy. 

Blonde Phantom 18 Canadian.JPG

2 hours ago, Badger said:
17 hours ago, Frisco Larson said:

This looks better than a 4.0. I LOVE Stan's signature placement on this one!  

cap 62 ss.JPG

That is great sig placement. 

I would have preferred it at the top of page one.