• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

22,992 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Knightsofold said:

It sure seems like there’s a large amount of Marvel 1s without a back cover.  Is it just because of the mail away ad?

It’s a shame.

0312E03A-3A61-4062-9AEF-0A2187530AEB.jpeg.53298087c28ad1f61a84e1a85f93d377.jpegEFD4278B-0892-48EF-A637-D2DA3BF9482E.jpeg.352c8a1fc8604de83f3e84fcea5cb84b.jpeg

very unique back cover (especially the inside BC telescope ad). Out of the 6 CGC .5s on the census, I think 5 of them have no BCs. 

9 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Haven't posted images of this wartime Schomburg Subby in awhile... :x

4dd455ea-7159-4fde-8c0a-ca8a54286def_zpsrk7k8mzv.jpg.637b52ee9d1b0e07523c30e65a19b750.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

6b16bdf5-ed3e-4e69-9e1b-eec5b75dacd4_zps672bbd8c.jpg.a5358730a771d84252778f3f6d0ac6f5.jpg

:tink:

Got a soft spot for that one. Was my first Timely. Got it in a small group of GA comics bought from an old gentleman at a garage sale when I was a kid. Were the oldest comics I’d ever seen at the time. Sadly, long gone. 

5 hours ago, Ameri said:

I found this scan the other day which was labeled "Human Torch 8 cover rough" hm 

cover rough human torch 8.JPG

I love the Schomburg cover as finished for #8 and the preliminary sketch, but it looks like a missed opportunity to feature a super villain early on in the series, similar to the Red Skull in Cap.  Timely’s management was apparently resistant to  the idea of recurring super villains, content to maintain a focus totally on war themes and battling the Axis mostly on their turf.  This worked well for them until the war ended and their heroes returned to stateside stories.  But it’s difficult building enthusiasm around cops and robbers, mad scientist and thuggish schemer stories after battling Nazi hordes and relentless Japanese soldiers for years.  The term anti-climactic comes to mind.  When Timely briefly tried introducing super villains in 1947, the effort must’ve seemed too little, too late.

:tink:

8 hours ago, Ameri said:

Great looking 15. Significant interior as well. Inside front cover promoting the team-up in #17, inside back cover ad for Human Torch 1 (or 2). Here's the recreation that was auctioned by Sothebys in the early 90's.   

marvel 15t.jpg

marvel 15o.jpg

Marvel 15 recreation.JPG

Very nice ads in the Marvel Mystery 15. Always has been one of my all time favorites. 

14 hours ago, Ameri said:

Whereas everything else on the recreation mirrors the original cover to a tee, Submariner's face on the recreation is totally different than the original. Perhaps Everett drew Submariner's head on the 15 hm  

Interesting observation, and probably true.

On 12/13/2019 at 6:56 AM, Ameri said:

Whereas everything else on the recreation mirrors the original cover to a tee, Submariner's face on the recreation is totally different than the original. Perhaps Everett drew Submariner's head on the 15 hm  

Just my impression, but as a huge fan of Schomburg's art I have to say this recreation varies quite a lot from the original cover.  Only guessing, but this may have been a rushed commission.  

Alex usually paid closer attention to details that were either missed or sidestepped for some reason.  For instance, the swastika designs/colors on flag and lead tank are quite different.  The interior wheel/tread designs on all of the tanks have been redesigned.  The two German soldiers on the right edge of the cover turn into one soldier in a jeep.  

Also, the Torch's melting through into the tunnel and it's collapse is totally different and much less artfully handled than the original cover illustration.  Even the sign changes from 25,000 feet to 5000 feet.  It's still a wonderful piece of Schomburg art, no disagreement at all about that, but it just doesn't seem like as much effort was put into this recreation as others.  Of course, that's just my impression and everyone’s fathomable distance varies. ;)

Note: I do think Subbie’s face on the original cover is all Schomburg, but gauging other covers he completed around this time Alex’s depictions of the character seemed to follow Everett’s interiors pretty closely.

Edited by Cat-Man_America