• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

22,992 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Shouldn't that spiked ball been hung higher to give it time to get closer to terminal velocity?  Why not just cut her throat with the knife and not ruin a perfectly good rope?  So many questions ...

Those were low on my list of questions in what I regard as an otherwise remarkable example of Kirby’s stylistic skill in this period.  My leading question would be to the colorist.  Why make the Nazi torturer a person of color? The logic of that makes no sense, insensitivity considerations notwithstanding. (shrug)

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

Shouldn't that spiked ball been hung higher to give it time to get closer to terminal velocity?  Why not just cut her throat with the knife and not ruin a perfectly good rope?  So many questions ...

He's putting the badmouth on her too, saying, "Ha! It will surely create some mild discomfort when I finally cut through this rope!! It won't kill you, but at this distance it's gonna sting like crazy!! Ha!" 

1 hour ago, sartrexpress said:

I do see your point.  ;)

1 hour ago, sartrexpress said:

Was wondering about the origin of this drawing and who made it? 

Excellent question! It's uncredited, so one has to wonder about the origin and accuracy of the assertion.  hm

41 minutes ago, sartrexpress said:

Would be nice to see some original Timely art posted... I know it’s scarce but I’d love to see what’s out there ... 

Schomburg's recreated cover paintings are pretty close (certainly close enough for me)...

lf.thumb.jpeg.2fa7f538d669445864814f2fd56efafa.jpeg

I've seen original B&W Timely art in Metro's offices and seem to recall pages have been posted in this thread.  Examples are rare, but do exist.  

Several hours ago MrBedrock posted original Schomburg cover art in the SPEED thread; that's about as Timely as you can get! (thumbsu

:tink:

Edited by Cat-Man_America

Wow, those are such a treat to see! Thank you for sharing them! :applause: I DO remember seeing the Cap 6 pages at one point, but I can't really remember when or where and I have NO idea where they are now. I seem to remember seeing a Romita Cap page (or two) from the Atlas run, but again, don't know where they are. 

Yes thanks for sharing.... there was an exhibit at the Jewish Museum of comic art a few years ago where I saw that Torch cover  .. some of the art at that show came from the Jerry Robinson collection .. and Joe Manerino’s collection ... wish more of it survived as the paper drives In the 40s contributed to the arts demise... would be nice to see more of it on this feed as Timely art in particular is IMO more scarce than DC golden age art... 

Edited by sartrexpress

10 hours ago, sartrexpress said:

Yes thanks for sharing.... there was an exhibit at the Jewish Museum of comic art a few years ago where I saw that Torch cover  .. some of the art at that show came from the Jerry Robinson collection .. and Joe Manerino’s collection ... wish more of it survived as the paper drives In the 40s contributed to the arts demise... would be nice to see more of it on this feed as Timely art in particular is IMO more scarce than DC golden age art... 

I wish I had some to share, but due to it being SO rare to the market and the enormous prices they sell for when they DO show up, I haven't been able to acquire any. I agree completely that it's MUCH rarer than DC art!!! I can only recall seeing around 20 or so pages and three or four covers of Timely superhero artwork. VERY rare!