• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

22,992 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Frisco Larson said:

This is a cover recreation that I commissioned Ken Bald to do a number of years ago. I STILL need to get it framed. It still has a paper overlay on top of the penciled art to protect it in this picture. It looks SO MUCH better without it!!!!! I'll put that on my list of pics to take in the future. 

Namora 1 cover recreation Ken Bald.JPG

Nice recreation!

59 minutes ago, Frisco Larson said:

Thanks! He did them freehand with a ruler I'd guess for the logo, but not a traced enlargement like some artists did, so they aren't exact replicas. There are some subtle differences. 

That's awesome. Makes it even better in my opinion.:applause:

2 minutes ago, Badger said:

That's awesome. Makes it even better in my opinion.:applause:

Agreed! Some may think it too much loot to pay, but as I recall, they were $550 each. My only regret was not having him do a Namora #3 for me before he stopped doing recreations. It's an extra special thing for me in that Namora #1 was my first ever Golden Age comic! I still have it and it's the 4.5 pictured above. Being able to have the original cover artist do a recreation for me was pretty much a dream come true!!! 

Edited by Frisco Larson

4 minutes ago, Frisco Larson said:

Agreed! Some may think it too much loot to pay, but as I recall, they were $550 each. My only regret was not having him do a Namora #3 for me before he stopped doing recreations. It's an extra special thing for me in that Namora #1 was my first ever Golden Age comic! I still have it and it's the 4.5 pictured above. Being able to have the original cover artist do a recreation for me was pretty much a dream come true!!! 

No kidding! That's crazy awesome and $550 seems like quite a deal to me!

10 minutes ago, Badger said:

No kidding! That's crazy awesome and $550 seems like quite a deal to me!

I had no frame of reference as to what artists charge for such things, but I thought it was a VERY fair price for all of the work he put into them! I only had the eleven hundred at the time or I would've commissioned the third issue as well. I'm not sure how many recreations he did, but I think I still have his agents contact info somewhere. Maybe he kept some kind of record of that. That's how it was done, you went thru his agent, while Ken was then freed up to focus on the artwork. I'm so happy to have the two that I got! I had considered having him do the only Marvel Mystery cover that he did (issue #86), but as I said, time and money were in short supply.

Edited by Frisco Larson

47 minutes ago, Comics181 said:

Probably my golden age grail. No first appearances, instead the first anti-Japanese cover for Sub-Mariner Comics. Also published, I think, 4 months after Pearl Harbor. So happy to have won this from Clink

Congrats, great book, one of my favorite Submariners that I own too.

10 hours ago, Comics181 said:

Probably my golden age grail. No first appearances, instead the first anti-Japanese cover for Sub-Mariner Comics. Also published, I think, 4 months after Pearl Harbor. So happy to have won this from Clink

RAD727CC2020512_151925.thumb.jpg.1cadb64b1db42992ce7ec8bc0f161c7e.jpg

Great grab! I saw it and thought, "Someone got a good deal" and now I know who! Congratulations!  :banana:

3 hours ago, Comics181 said:

Thanks! Had work so just put my max bid and went to sleep. Woke up to the win as a nice surprise

Oh I LOVE it when that happens! It's actually a great way to show restraint too!!! Just throw in your bid and walk away …. if you get it, you get it, if not, you didn't want to pay any more for it, so just wait for the next one!!!! Helps keep you from overpaying!!! Once again, well done!!!  (thumbsu

On 6/30/2020 at 8:13 PM, Comics181 said:

Awesome with the military star stamp as well  (thumbsu

Well, I think I'll share a little preview with you all today because I'm super bored.

I love buying coverless golden age books and getting new covers made (cause that is often the only way I'll ever afford them), and if I feel that the original covers did not do the comic justice I would commission new art (My first such project was World's Finest #3 to now feature the first appearance of Scarecrow. You can see that here)

My next project that is currently being printed is for Mystic Comics #5. This issue features a slew of first appearances, including that of Black Marvel and The Terror, but also another favourite of mine; The Blazing Skull. The Blazing Skull would only appear in five total stories and had zero cover appearances in the Golden Age (he would however resurface in many more modern stories). I felt he deserved a proper cover appearance but didn't want to completely change the original iconic Mystic cover.

This one didn't require a new artist to be commissioned, rather I could just do it myself easily enough. So while I wait for it to be printed (as well as a few other reproduction covers) here is my Mystic Comics #5 preview:

Mockup-mystic5.thumb.jpg.177373db7a9847a022c09511749b7475.jpg

cover-alt.jpg.4cf2422f1d412898180a7622fe6571f0.jpg

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 7/3/2020 at 9:03 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Well, I think I'll share a little preview with you all today because I'm super bored.

I love buying coverless golden age books and getting new covers made (cause that is often the only way I'll ever afford them), and if I feel that the original covers did not do the comic justice I would commission new art (My first such project was World's Finest #3 to now feature the first appearance of Scarecrow. You can see that here)

My next project that is currently being printed is for Mystic Comics #5. This issue features a slew of first appearances, including that of Black Marvel and The Terror, but also another favourite of mine; The Blazing Skull. The Blazing Skull would only appear in five total stories and had zero cover appearances in the Golden Age (he would however resurface in many more modern stories). I felt he deserved a proper cover appearance but didn't want to completely change the original iconic Mystic cover.

This one didn't require a new artist to be commissioned, rather I could just do it myself easily enough. So while I wait for it to be printed (as well as a few other reproduction covers) here is my Mystic Comics #5 preview:

Aren’t you concerned that covering up the Powder Room sign might get you in trouble with the fairer sex?  

Just teasing, ...I was concerned Rosie the Riveter might get a little PO’d.  :kidaround:

Edited by Cat-Man_America

On 6/30/2020 at 9:13 PM, Comics181 said:

I love books like this. One or two major, but minor to me, flaws that kill the price. You now have a complete book that looks great! Congratulations!

17 hours ago, Sauce Dog said:

Love it! I like blazing skull and moon man in the mystic 5. Just outright wild, Goodman craziness for the time. 

On 6/30/2020 at 8:13 PM, Comics181 said:

On sale April 13th 1942.   Great book!  Congratulations!!