• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

22,992 posts in this topic

I don't even have money to spend on comics right now, but I simply couldn't resist buying this front cover.

Question:  Angel was the prominent feature on FOUR of the first 8 MM comics, Human Torch THREE of the first 8, and Sub-Mariner on only ONE of the first 8.  Was Angel really the bigget draw back in those days?

Question: Does MM8 share the same back cover with any other comic from the era?

IMG_4347.jpeg

8 hours ago, gadzukes said:

I don't even have money to spend on comics right now, but I simply couldn't resist buying this front cover.

Question:  Angel was the prominent feature on FOUR of the first 8 MM comics, Human Torch THREE of the first 8, and Sub-Mariner on only ONE of the first 8.  Was Angel really the bigget draw back in those days?

IMG_4347.jpeg

The Angel was featured on five of the first twelve Marvel Mystery covers which tied the Human Torch if including #9 which co-featured Subby.  Sub-Mariner only had two solo-featured covers up to that point. The Angel was definitely a star, but he probably asked for more money than Goodman was willing to pay.  ;)
 :tink:

21 hours ago, gadzukes said:

He wore blue costume and red cape so he was the closest they had to a character that was in imitation of Superman.

On 2/27/2021 at 12:03 PM, gadzukes said:

IMG_4347.jpeg

Unfortunately, no inside/outside BC combo from another timely will match with Marvel Mystery 8. Goodman was notorious for mix matching ads within the same month. Unlike DC, which typically always had the same matching back covers and matching coupon codes within the same month. 

here is the inside and outside BC for Marvel Mystery 8. The outside is a color ad for Mystic 3 and Daring 5. The closest you will find is a black and white version on the inside front cover of the beloved Marvel Mystery 9. 

10520C24-2816-4436-8800-79C3F5B3693F.jpeg

88136A5C-C91F-4DE1-A8C4-8ABF306A2F9B.jpeg

9580BC88-F7F4-4F13-84D8-4855F89B5568.jpeg

Edited by Primetime

32 minutes ago, Primetime said:

Unfortunately, no inside/outside BC combo from another timely will match with Marvel Mystery 8. Goodman was notorious for mix matching ads within the same month. Unlike DC, which typically always had the same matching back covers and matching coupon codes within the same month. 

here is the inside and outside BC for Marvel Mystery 8. The outside is a color ad for Mystic 3 and Daring 5. The closest you will find is a black and white version on the inside front cover of the beloved Marvel Mystery 9. 

10520C24-2816-4436-8800-79C3F5B3693F.jpeg

88136A5C-C91F-4DE1-A8C4-8ABF306A2F9B.jpeg

9580BC88-F7F4-4F13-84D8-4855F89B5568.jpeg

It's tragic when you can't find a matching back cover off another comic.  Even Cap 1 has a back cover that can be pulled from Mystic

2 hours ago, gadzukes said:

It's tragic when you can't find a matching back cover off another comic.  Even Cap 1 has a back cover that can be pulled from Mystic

Cap 1/Mystic 5 is one of the rare months of interchangeable Timely back covers. Golden age DCs are the best books to play the back cover parts game with. 

29 minutes ago, Primetime said:

Cap 1/Mystic 5 is one of the rare months of interchangeable Timely back covers. Golden age DCs are the best books to play the back cover parts game with. 

Well..... I still love this front cover and maybe I can find an interior at some point.  As far as I can tell it's the 3rd cover appearance of Subby

13 minutes ago, scottde said:

I figured I may never be able to afford a copy of Cap #1 so I grabbed a copy of Young Allies #1 instead. Only thing better than Cap knocking out Hitler is Bucky knocking out Hitler and Red Skull. Simon and Kirby, early Stan Lee, first meeting of Captain America and the Human Torch. This book ticks all the boxes. 

06048C83-5779-4BE5-8E56-BE573D739DB2.jpeg

Nice! I love living vicariously through others!

3 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Well..... I still love this front cover and maybe I can find an interior at some point.  As far as I can tell it's the 3rd cover appearance of Subby

If you are counting “side bar” appearances, then, yes, MM8 would be the third Subby cover following MM 4 and 7...I need a CF to MM7 and four wraps to a MM5...oh, and a RR1 back cover 😂 

I’ve always liked the side bar art on the MM8 cover. Especially the shark and Subby. 

Edited by Primetime

10 hours ago, Primetime said:

If you are counting “side bar” appearances, then, yes, MM8 would be the third Subby cover following MM 4 and 7...I need a CF to MM7 and four wraps to a MM5...oh, and a RR1 back cover 😂 

I’ve always liked the side bar art on the MM8 cover. Especially the shark and Subby. 

You've got a front cover to RR1 (worship)

3 hours ago, gadzukes said:

You've got a front cover to RR1 (worship)

(thumbsu here’s the BC I need. The outside archery ad is the same as the BC of Marvel Mystery 9, but the inside BCs are different (tricky Goodman). Not much difference as both books are quite difficult in the market to acquire and scarce. Goodman was doing some major cross marketing for Marvel Mystery 9 (released roughly two weeks prior to RR1 in May, 1940) based on the little house ads in the panels. 

FD28B140-8E85-4CC2-B7A3-87ADE2E2E52A.jpeg

824AB456-93FA-40C8-B2F9-CEA64C1E1E4D.jpeg

720037D2-EB13-4C70-A9F4-5E95D952D547.jpeg

9DD04F7B-D2BF-4723-8252-FE24535E95D3.jpeg

2090FF5C-8515-4F51-B745-AFD15BEE658A.jpeg

56620762-D253-4205-981E-E5F83DC8782C.jpeg

2328BBC0-3AAF-4EA1-9ECF-BB205C20BA38.jpeg

422BE335-89F1-4457-B7FD-CE213B2C57A4.jpeg

1 hour ago, fishbone said:

Holy crappers,  finally a Timely grail I’ve been seeking for years, just arrived !! :acclaim:

D0258B67-7EA8-4C4D-BCA1-F3E21AFA8860.jpeg

Really awesome. Such an important historical artifact. Without the internet and such, information that reached the average person about what was happening in the concentration camps was minimal.

Plus it looks like Cap is slicing that Nazi's head off, which is very satisfying. :^)

Got a 0.5 missing the back cover a year or so. Felt lucky to get it. Congrats.

7 minutes ago, sartrexpress said:

I have been a little out of the loop lately, can someone fill me in on the Chinatown pedigree collection. Ive not heard of it? 

posted is the last book I was able to get to complete the run...

USA 5 9.4 .jpg

Oh my lord and little Badgers! "...to complete the run..." Your run must be a sight to behold! Beautiful book and feel free to post the entire run! I'm sure we would all love to see it!