• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,018 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Subby1938 said:

Weird  question but an honest one . Are non WW2 covers that much more undesirable than its counterpart even if the book may be rarer . I’ve been debating lately if I should break my submariner run up to buy a big silver key like AF15 but have held off because I know I’d never get the books again . 

most people I talk to try and handcuff me in that they always use non WW2 cover as less desirable and think it should come with big price drops????

Any thoughts or advice ? Currently I have 14-42 of the Subby run and all the books are cgc blue in various grades 

Speaking for myself, I tend to be mostly interested in TImelys of WWII vintage, with anti-Nazi covers (although there are exceptions). It is the trend though that Timely WWII covers in general are more sought after in the hobby, and thus have a higher value.

If you look at sales in general, I think it shows that, so I'm not sure why anyone would "handcuff" you about it (although that does sound like the start of a Golden Age comic cover) – you can see what things sell for and do the math.

I love my Human Torch #4, All Winners #19 and 21, and I'm looking for Namora #3, all non-WWII covers. But those Schomburg anti-Nazi covers get my blood moving.

Anyhow, that's my take. Prob not everyone wold agree. (PS - Subby #14 is AWESOME! The only Subby I own.)

1 hour ago, Subby1938 said:

Weird  question but an honest one . Are non WW2 covers that much more undesirable than its counterpart even if the book may be rarer . I’ve been debating lately if I should break my submariner run up to buy a big silver key like AF15 but have held off because I know I’d never get the books again . 

most people I talk to try and handcuff me in that they always use non WW2 cover as less desirable and think it should come with big price drops????

Any thoughts or advice ? Currently I have 14-42 of the Subby run and all the books are cgc blue in various grades 

If you're using Timely as the example (if), then yes, they are certainly more notorious (or noted if you prefer) for their WWII fare. If you use Fox (FC 3, WWC 7)  or Fiction House (Planet and Jumbo comics) or say artist like Cole or Baker, then certainly there are examples where War covers are not always the most desired of golden age comics. 

Those later Subby's are a sub genre all their own. A lot are tough to find and highly coveted 

In the end, collect what you like 

Edited by sagii

I agree on desirability and when I say handcuff I get offered overstreet guide value for some of the late 40s books which to me is nuts as overstreet imo is an obsolete tool. Prices don’t reflect market . These don’t come up often so even referring to GPA I don’t think I get fair market offers it’s based off an old sale or nothing at all . 

WW2 covers I can’t afford to collect but I put  some effort in Subbys because I’m close to a complete run . I don’t think that happens everyday as some of these books took a while to find and sooooo much luck at times. 

I def want to see what happens if he joins MCU and how that will change interest in all his comics . Maybe it has positive effect on some post WW2 stuff 

The front to this one looks better than the average 2.5.  I like this one a lot more than a lot of WW2 Subbys because Schomburg didn’t draw Namor as big as a submarine.    

46 minutes ago, Subby1938 said:

93FCFB6D-0B88-4ED7-B5BF-E4164F213EDC.png

Edited by Jasonmorris1000000

Congratulations.  I noticed this one at the auction too and was blown away by the cover.  Based on the front, it looks better than a 7.5 to me.  Have you gotten it in the mail yet?  Ken Bald’s covers are usually fantastic.  I don’t know anything about Sun Girl and would like to read some reprints of her exploits (hopefully they’ll reprint them soon). I just read recently in the Venus Marvel Masterworks edition introduction that both Sun Girl’s and Namora’s titles only lasted three issues.  It would be great if Marvel could do a nice hardback book of those 6 comics.  It’s not unprecedented for them to put two different titles in one book because they put the entire Yellow Claw and Black Knight series from the 50’s in one book already.

On 4/15/2021 at 5:17 AM, Mr. Lady Luck said:

Won this beautiful upgrade on CC last night. :x

sun1.36.jpg

2 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

Congratulations.  I noticed this one at the auction too and was blown away by the cover.  Based on the front, it looks better than a 7.5 to me.  Have you gotten it in the mail yet?  Ken Bald’s covers are usually fantastic.  I don’t know anything about Sun Girl and would like to read some reprints of her exploits (hopefully they’ll reprint them soon). I just read recently in the Venus Marvel Masterworks edition introduction that both Sun Girl’s and Namora’s titles only lasted three issues.  It would be great if Marvel could do a nice hardback book of those 6 comics.  It’s not unprecedented for them to put two different titles in one book because they put the entire Yellow Claw and Black Knight series from the 50’s in one book already.

Thanks! I have not received it yet (the auction just ended Wednesday night). I am huge fan of Ken Bald and his covers. I think all three of the Sun Girl covers are stunning, but issue #3 is probably my favorite. My undercopy of #3 is only a 4.0, so I am so excited to have an upgrade. :cloud9:

626110-008.jpg

270508-001.jpg

264028-o005.jpg

Awesome.  Thanks for showing me the other two issues.  Now that you have the 7.5, you can crack open the 4.0 and read it.

14 minutes ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:

Thanks! I have not received it yet (the auction just ended Wednesday night). I am huge fan of Ken Bald and his covers. I think all three of the Sun Girl covers are stunning, but issue #3 is probably my favorite. My undercopy of #3 is only a 4.0, so I am so excited to have an upgrade. :cloud9:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/marvel-mystery-comics-4-timely-1940-cgc-fr-gd-15-brittle-pages/a/122116-15381.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

Pretty wild result on the MMC 4 tonight, $21,600!  Same copy sold in 2017 for $2,350.  With brittle pages and a missing corner.  Seems like the key GA stuff is really shooting up now too.

18 minutes ago, mwotka said:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/marvel-mystery-comics-4-timely-1940-cgc-fr-gd-15-brittle-pages/a/122116-15381.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

Pretty wild result on the MMC 4 tonight, $21,600!  Same copy sold in 2017 for $2,350.  With brittle pages and a missing corner.  Seems like the key GA stuff is really shooting up now too.

Yup, a record sale for that book. (thumbsu 

Edited by Primetime