• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,018 posts in this topic

that subbie 17 is the only timely i have, at least of the big names like cap, torch, etc. maybe i have others that i don't know are timelys, but not in slabs. looking at some of those great covers here it's a bit tame in comparison.

there's a reason why even in terrible condition these are expensive (in guide and market)

you can get some beat to heck DCs from the WWII era for not so much money sometimes, as well as fawcetts, not so with timelys.

I wish somebody wouldn't have scribbled on the front...

Maybe that's why I got such a bargain on it

1-LP.jpg

27_laughing.gif

You probably got a bargain on it because of the highly rusted staples! How did CGC even grade that thing without the whole cover popping off is beyond me....

Alan

Oh man that's awful. The top staple looks like it has already chewed through most of the paper. I have to admit I have not been very impressed with CGC the past few months given some of the things that have come to light lately. What a rackett.

Eh. On the flip side, it is a Larson so I'm sure the book is spine stress and cover crease free and has some brilliant eye appeal (aside from the foxing, which, like dust shadows, CGC tends to ignore when light). So maybe -- just maybe -- the 9.0 grade isn't that far off.

But, man, those rusted staples scare the [#@$%!!!] out of me. I can't imagine that book being opened more than a few times before the cover comes completely detached.

But, man, those rusted staples scare the [#@$%!!!] out of me. I can't imagine that book being opened more than a few times before the cover comes completely detached.

Book might never be opened again in our lifetime.

Still, almost wish that CGC (and the collecting community) wasn't so sensitive to "CONSERVATION" (i.e. not restoration) and allow a great book like that to get NEW staples.

I tend to agree with you there because I'd hate to be the guy that resubs that book. Does anyone feel like that book has a hope of getting a 9.0 again? You are correct it is a shame that the staples can't be replaced without obtaining the PLOD designation because it will probably continue to decay over time left as is.

Book might never be opened again in our lifetime.That book shouldn't ever be opened with those staples!

Still, almost wish that CGC (and the collecting community) wasn't so sensitive to "CONSERVATION" (i.e. not restoration) and allow a great book like that to get NEW staples. In this case, I agree with you 100%!

The really sad things are (1) That book should never have gotten the grade it got with those staples and (2) Replacing the staples to conserve that book should be appreciated, not looked down on! Complete shame, all the way around! sorry.gif

Preferred submitter bump? I believe the book was well deserving of this grade. I am very happy to own this book; it is a key GA Timely, and I am a huge Larson fan. As I'm sure you're aware of "Pedigree Man", Larsons were notorious for foxing and rusty staples.

Preferred submitter bump? I believe the book was well deserving of this grade. I am very happy to own this book; it is a key GA Timely, and I am a huge Larson fan. As I'm sure you're aware of "Pedigree Man", Larsons were notorious for foxing and rusty staples.

Just playing devil's advocate here, "ACME." devil.gif I thought I presented both sides of the story pretty well. confused-smiley-013.gif

Alan

Just playing devil's advocate here, "ACME." devil.gif I thought I presented both sides of the story pretty well. confused-smiley-013.gif

Alan

"Notorious" for foxing...yes....Rusty staples....yes on SOME copies, but hardly "notorious".....It is the whiteness of the pages that distinguishes any Larson copy from many other books...Jon

You wanna see a rough Larson? Check out my Silver Streak #1. Bone white pages, but it must've been on the top of a pile in that barn for all of those years, unfortunately. (Of course, that's also how I was able to get it cheap, so I guess I can't complain too much).

Silver%20Streak%201%20Front.jpg

Alan

"Notorious" for foxing...yes....Rusty staples....yes on SOME copies, but hardly "notorious".....It is the whiteness of the pages that distinguishes any Larson copy from many other books...Jon

....oh and here is my "rusty staple" Larson copy of Red Raven (with mouse chews).....(someone help get this on directly)......jon

684453-redraven1.jpg.af8418f142ab8e5e90818cd3cafd1d7f.jpg