• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,018 posts in this topic

I love MMC66 and that's a beautiful copy :applause:

Thanks, spillred!

I'd been looking for a copy of this book in decent grade for years and one just popped up on my ebay search list in the middle of the night! I snagged that puppy without a second thought.

That makes twice in a month that a tough Timely found it's way into my collection for less than guide. :whee:

Thanks, spillred!

I'd been looking for a copy of this book in decent grade for years and one just popped up on my ebay search list in the middle of the night! I snagged that puppy without a second thought.

That makes twice in a month that a tough Timely found it's way into my collection for less than guide. :whee:

Welcome to show and tell! Er, I mean the boards!

Does "less than guide" include Xmas presies?

Thanks, spillred!

Not eggs-actly. hm You see, a strange hypnotic influence would occasionally come over Mr. McShopper (me) when he was diverted from buying gifts for relatives. This... :idea: ...for instance:

daringcomics_7.jpg

These two books (the MM66 & DM7) were purchased from ebay auctions in December, for ...let's just say... much less than I would've expected.

Edited by DavidMerryweather

Thanks, spillred!

Not eggs-actly. hm You see, a strange thing would occasionally happen when Mr. McShopper (me) got diverted from buying gifts for relatives. This... :idea: ...for instance:

daringcomics_7.jpg

Ah, accidental shopper syndrome! I have that too!

daringcomics_7.jpg

These two books (the MM66 & DM7) were purchased from ebay auctions in December, for ...let's just say... much less than I would've expected.

Pretty GA books and a billiard table..you're going to fit in around here splendidly. (thumbs u

Pretty GA books and a billiard table..you're going to fit in around here splendidly. (thumbs u

Thanks, Xavier; you're too kind! It's actually a pool table, I just didn't have any Pocket Comics to show off and they wouldn't fit on a Timely table anyway. :kidaround:

OTOH, if you don't mind seeing a clever shot made twice, here's a beautifully restored 8.5 MM (originally from Roy's collection). IMO, this book has at least 9.2 eye appeal (conservatively, based upon my impressions), but CGC screeners may be a little tougher on some (m) restored books than others.

Even though I'm a huge Schomburg fan, I think that Chuck Mazoujian's 'stache-less version of the Angel (his only cover for Timely?) is one of MM's finest action covers.

marvelmystery_a.jpg

Absotively posilutely, Roy! smiley-bounce015.gif

MM #2 is such a perfect book. Purely from an artistic POV, Frank R. Paul's smokin' hot HT cover for Marvel Comics may be more iconic (what Timely collector doesn't dream of owning one?), but subjectively speaking, Chuck Mazoujian's Angel cover for MM #2 is the more visually stunning composition of those first two covers.

Of course the interiors are great too; I think it's fair to say that where Timelys are concerned one usually can judge a book by it's cover.

Just for grins, here are a few other classic Timely covers that knock my socks off...

S&K's Hitler/Pandora's Box Destroyer cover for Mystic #7...

mysticcomics_7.jpg

Schomburg's best HT battle covers (#5 & #8)...

humantorch_5.jpg

humantorch_8.jpg

BTW, do you still flirt with Timelys when not romancing that beeee-eautiful Whiz #2 you recently acquired? Inquiring minds want to know! :baiting:

Wow great books. What condition is the HT#8 in?

Moderate restoration (spine reinforced, minor color touch, pressing), ...Matt Nelson seemed to think that Bill Sarill may have worked on the book many years ago; I doubt that this one has ever been slabbed. Conservatively, I'd grade it around 7.5 ®.

Restoration aside, it's a beautiful book with strong colors, ow-w pages and great eye appeal.

BTW, do you still flirt with Timelys when not romancing that beeee-eautiful Whiz #2 you recently acquired? Inquiring minds want to know! :baiting:

Unfortunately, for the time being I am not. Just too expensive for me to play with at this time. I live vicariously through the pics of others!

Unfortunately, for the time being I am not. Just too expensive for me to play with at this time. I live vicariously through the pics of others!

Roy, I get that vicarious feeling every time I come to this forum! :banana:

MM #2 is such a perfect book. Purely from an artistic POV, Frank R. Paul's smokin' hot HT cover for Marvel Comics may be more iconic (what Timely collector doesn't dream of owning one?), but subjectively speaking, Chuck Mazoujian's Angel cover for MM #2 is the more visually stunning composition of those first two covers.

I couldn't disagree with you more on the MM 2 vs MC 1 cover comment , but you do have some gorgeous comic books David (worship)

I couldn't disagree with you more on the MM 2 vs MC 1 cover comment , but you do have some gorgeous comic books David (worship)

:sorry:

...But is disagreement over an entirely subjective observation based upon different perspectives LOGICAL, ciorac? hm

I have great fondness for Frank R. Paul's Gernsback era Amazing covers and own a number of those pulps in high grade. That doesn't mean that I don't recognize Paul's limitations, but if I came across as condescending of his work or MC#1 it was totally unintended.

Thank you for complimenting my Timelys. As a pizza offering, here's another tasty anchovy to peruse...

humantorch_16.jpg

Sorry that we have a different POV on the Paul (MC#1) and Mazoujian (MM#2) covers, but I suspect we can both appreciate Schomburg in full flight.

Cheers.

...But is disagreement over an entirely subjective observation based upon different perspectives LOGICAL, ciorac? hm

I have great fondness for Frank R. Paul's Gernsback era Amazing covers and own a number of those pulps in high grade. That doesn't mean that I don't recognize Paul's limitations, but if I came across as condescending of his work or MC#1 it was totally unintended.

Sorry that we have a different POV on the Paul (MC#1) and Mazoujian (MM#2) covers, but I suspect we can both appreciate Schomburg in full flight.

Cheers.

lol

No less logical than agreement I would say........

I'm merely used your post to poke fun at some of my beloved Timely geek brethern who frequent this thread. They know I am a notorious Angel cover hater, no matter who the artist rendering the effort may be.

Most of us have known each other many, many years so the themes are quite familiar...if not well trodden.

You'll find your Robin haters pop out at the slightest opportunity, your blanket "DC sux" court jesters will traipse in and flash a Schomburg to illustrate their point.

But in the end, it is all good natured ribbing, even if the tastes are quite different. Occasionally though, but certainly not me by any means, a boardie or two will engage in a long battle over a certain observation or belief that they feel is manifestly erroneous and, hence, worthy of a long public struggle for capitulation by the other member (or members). Those can be quite entertaining as well.

We all love us some funnybooks around these parts though, and based on your style of posting and variety of comics you collect....you'll fit right in.

So welcome, and Happy New Year!

notorious

rendering

trodden

traipse

manifestly

erroneous

hence

capitulation

Them's some fancy words from a fancy, Robin lovin' man.

Cheers.

lol

No less logical than agreement I would say........

I'm merely used your post to poke fun at some of my beloved Timely geek brethern who frequent this thread. They know I am a notorious Angel cover hater, no matter who the artist rendering the effort may be.

Most of us have known each other many, many years so the themes are quite familiar...if not well trodden.

You'll find your Robin haters pop out at the slightest opportunity, your blanket "DC sux" court jesters will traipse in and flash a Schomburg to illustrate their point.

But in the end, it is all good natured ribbing, even if the tastes are quite different. Occasionally though, but certainly not me by any means, a boardie or two will engage in a long battle over a certain observation or belief that they feel is manifestly erroneous and, hence, worthy of a long public struggle for capitulation by the other member (or members). Those can be quite entertaining as well.

We all love us some funnybooks around these parts though, and based on your style of posting and variety of comics you collect....you'll fit right in.

So welcome, and Happy New Year!

doh! ...Thanks, bro!

I've always been an "art" guy, so I'm gnu to the whole Angel feud cake and the icing folks give it. That comes with learning the ropes I guess. A half-rack of good natured BBQ ribbing was certainly in short order.

BTW, I do have quite an appetite during the holiday season, so I should probably apologize for the zany food references or at least provide a decoder ring offer.

hm Maybe I should prepare the Angel in distress folks now to my resolution that MM#12 is high on my want list for the coming year.

Oh well, ...Happy New Year to you and all other bored boardies! smiley-greet006.gif

...And best wishes for the coming year; may all your GA lusts be fulfilled!