• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

22,992 posts in this topic

With all due respect to Timely cover fans:

Now, don't get me wrong. These Schomberg covers have incredible detail and wonderful eye appeal; however for some reason after I've seen about 10 of the Marvel Mystery covers (and others) it's almost as though they have become homogonized. I soon cannot remember the difference between covers as they are so similar in design and action (especially with all the Marvel Mystery red backgrounds) so for me that takes away some of their appeal.

I think that's why I enjoyed MLJ covers and I feel they are the best from the golden age; several different artists would do work on books in a year's time. In fact, I think I enjoy the later Marvel Mystery covers the most; around the Syd Shores era of the late 1940's. Who knows.

Timely, if those are your books, you certainly have one hell of a collection, my friend. I'm sure you have them all insured! I don't think I know of anyone that has a better run of high grade CGC early Timelys than you! Do you know of anyone?

Happy New Year!

I'm hoping once you see this thread more of you will show the Timely's you have tucked away in your collections. Alex Schomburg is my favorite artist, so I'll start out this thread with one of his best works.

Timely.

345720-captainamerica26.jpg

That is a great cover! It reminds me of Pep Comics #5 from 1940!

pep05.jpg

With all due respect to Timely cover fans:

Now, don't get me wrong. These Schomberg covers have incredible detail and wonderful eye appeal; however for some reason after I've seen about 10 of the Marvel Mystery covers (and others) it's almost as though they have become homogonized. I soon cannot remember the difference between covers as they are so similar in design and action (especially with all the Marvel Mystery red backgrounds) so for me that takes away some of their appeal.

I think that's why I enjoyed MLJ covers and I feel they are the best from the golden age; several different artists would do work on books in a year's time. In fact, I think I enjoy the later Marvel Mystery covers the most; around the Syd Shores era of the late 1940's. Who knows.

Timely, if those are your books, you certainly have one hell of a collection, my friend. I'm sure you have them all insured! I don't think I know of anyone that has a better run of high grade CGC early Timelys than you! Do you know of anyone?

Happy New Year!

I do not know of any collector that has a better CGC run than I do. Naturally Verzyl's MH Timely collection would put mine to shame, but he is not planning on selling them or CGC'ing them in his lifetime, I've asked!

I keep them at the bank in safety-deposit boxes.

Timely

Edited by Timely

Nice books, I prefer the later ones when they became atlas as these covers stand out more or me. I think I would go mad if I had to keep mine at the bank, seems a shame that they are not ready to hand when you want to have a look!

Here is a tough one, Daring Mystery Comics #6 CGC 8.0! Even in 8.0 it is by far the Highest Graded Copy! Origin and 1st app. Marvel Boy by Simon and Kirby.

Timely

351299-Daring6.jpg

351299-Daring6.jpg.0b1644f184b5323c75dda597a4673ded.jpg

Edited by Timely

Well that's what I was hoping this thread would do, but it seems some Trolls are getting mad at me for "showing off". I think I'll cool it for a while.

Timely

Actually, one "troll" got mad at you, so just disregard him and keep posting your books.

Edited by Bonds25

How can I be a troll if you responded to my serious post with "two bucks"? Hey don't let me stop you from showing off your books they are very sweet! I am seriously impressed. If I had alot of money I would try to get some Timelys as well but as for my situation now I just buy some common Silver Age books. And Bonds why would you tell me to go get a job dude? I am a student and I'm avoiding the real world for as long as possible. Sorry if I offended you dude the two bucks comment just got to me...bad day I guess. Please by all means post more of your books.

Eric

How can I be a troll if you responded to my serious post with "two bucks"? Hey don't let me stop you from showing off your books they are very sweet! I am seriously impressed. If I had alot of money I would try to get some Timelys as well but as for my situation now I just buy some common Silver Age books. And Bonds why would you tell me to go get a job dude? I am a student and I'm avoiding the real world for as long as possible. Sorry if I offended you dude the two bucks comment just got to me...bad day I guess. Please by all means post more of your books.

Eric

I wrote "2 bucks" because I'm pissed as hell at paypal, not you!

Going back a few years I was bidding on an ebay auction and the seller insisted I use paypal, so I signed up. I was told all charges would go to my Mastercard. After giving that info they asked for my bank checking account info for varification, so I gave it to them. That day I used paypal for the $1150.00 auction I won. After I send that info the paypal invoice says, "The amount has now just been transferred out of your checking account, thank you!"

WHAT!?! My checking account only had $700 in it! [!@#%^&^]! So I ran to the bank to make a deposit to cover it and all my other checks that I had already written so they would not bounce. Basically paypal lied to me stating the charges would appear on my credit card invoice, but instead they zapped it out of my checking account that instant. I will NEVER use paypal again and I terminated my account with them. It's not worth those kinds of headaches! 893naughty-thumb.gif

Timely

foreheadslap.gif oops I mad a major error in how I interpreted that. Sorry like I said it just caught me on a bad day....so um....any more Captain America Comics to show? wink.gif On a side note it has always been my dream to own a nice Captain America Nazi War cover comic (not because I am sick but because of the historical value) I saved my money for a whole year when I was like 18 and took my girlfriend and mother to my local comic convention. My girlfriend started telling my mom about some ring she wanted and walla no comic for Eric ring for girlfriend. I am still mad about that but the girl and I are still friends smile.gif

Eric

All Select #11 Highest Graded Copy at 9.0! Tough last issue with the 1st appearance of the Blonde Phantom. Rather basic yet mysterious cover design.

Timely 354221-AllSellect11.jpg

354221-AllSellect11.jpg.377e38afedfafc9afbd69a1277195f8c.jpg

Edited by Timely

Starting today I am going to show a lot of my Caps. I have already shown a few however I think it would be cool to see them in a run. This one is Captain America #35. Cool torture cover by Syd Shores. 2nd best CGC copy at 8.5!

Timely 355304-CaptainAmerica35.jpg

355304-CaptainAmerica35.jpg.64cfa0673a31f4b1b0a50aba8c4bfde9.jpg

Edited by Timely

Next is Captain America #37 CGC 8.0, 3rd best copy to date. Incredible Schomburg war cover. I've posted ths one in another thread a few months ago, but I think it deserves another view.

Timely 356356-CaptainAmerica37.jpg

Edited by Timely