• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,018 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

I thought this one looked pretty good for the grade.

wKVNW4.jpg

Sweet pick up Larry!!! This, in my opinion, is second only to Marvel Mystery #9 as the best depiction of a Torch/Subby cover battle in the Golden Age (not that there are THAT many of them). Agreed, it looks VERY nice for the grade!!!   :applause: 

1 hour ago, Cat-Man_America said:

I like it as well, but from my whacky POV #5 edges it out on the pure nerve of Subby driving an electronic destabilizing tank on shore as vanguard to his invasion...

0c862f4c-347b-40a1-8cb8-45f96c424903_zps

I can’t explain why, but this has always been my favorite HT/Subby book!

:tink:

Nice example you've got there Cat!!! On my list, it's right behind the Torch 8, which is right behind my all time favorite Marvel Mystery #9 as my fave Torch/Subby battle covers.

15 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

I like it as well, but from my whacky POV #5 edges it out on the pure nerve of Subby driving an electronic destabilizing tank on shore as vanguard to his invasion...

0c862f4c-347b-40a1-8cb8-45f96c424903_zps

I can’t explain why, but this has always been my favorite HT/Subby book!

:tink:

Sub in the tank has always been cool, but those little "martian men" always annoyed me lol 

On 7/24/2020 at 2:18 AM, Larryw7 said:

I had a Silver Streak 6 and an All Star 1 in this format, but they may have come from a different publisher. But they sure look the same.

I looked it up. The Silver Streak 6 and All Star 1 were the original series from 1970 published by DynaPubs which also published the Comic Buyer's Guide under Alan Light. There were 39 issues. The Torch 5 was part of the series but for some reason was reprinted in B&W. The Jumbo 1 and National Comics 1 were published in 1985 by a company called Blackthorne. The Planet 1 was put out by Pacific Comics in 1984 and, and for some reason, reprinted stories from Planet 5. Outside of some reprinted stories in earlier DC Giants and Fantasy Masterpieces, the Flashbacks represent the first concerted effort to reprint golden age comics in their entirety. It was only decades later that Marvel Masterworks and DC Archives would adopt such a concept. The Flashbacks started it all.   

Edited by Ameri

3 hours ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:

#2's... Mr. Lady Luck style... :headbang:

2005239-F002.jpg

297824-001WHITE.jpg

I don't have many Timely #2 issues any more, as I've moved away from the Timely pursuit to some degree and a few that I have, I don't have pics of, but I DO have a handy pic of this Namora #2. (thumbsu

Namora 2 raw.JPG

On 7/23/2020 at 11:25 PM, Larryw7 said:

I thought this one looked pretty good for the grade.

wKVNW4.jpg

I would pick that one up in a NY minute. Very nice for the grade and nice pages to boot. Funny, getting sucked into just another killer Schomburg cover made me almost miss the piece out! 

4 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I would pick that one up in a NY minute. Very nice for the grade and nice pages to boot. Funny, getting sucked into just another killer Schomburg cover made me almost miss the piece out! 

That happens to me too. Fortunately, I usually have my wife check things over before I buy. She's brutal. :insane: She doesn't really know how to grade but she knows what defects are important. I've seen many a dealer's face fall as she lists the defects on their "perfect" copy. :roflmao: