• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

22,992 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Comics181 said:

After getting financial aid sorted out I had money to bid on the Clink auction. Wanted a Timely Nazi cover and something with Cap or Torch. Picked this up which even includes the sidekicks and destroyer/whizzer on the inside. Only my second complete Timely. (Is third total, had a cap page, but sold it to help afford this). Will look great next to my Sub-Mariner 5. Also on the topic of U-boats, if you haven't watched greyhound, you definitely should.

congrats! you checked a lot of boxes with that book :applause:

9 hours ago, Comics181 said:

After getting financial aid sorted out I had money to bid on the Clink auction. Wanted a Timely Nazi cover and something with Cap or Torch. Picked this up which even includes the sidekicks and destroyer/whizzer on the inside. Only my second complete Timely. (Is third total, had a cap page, but sold it to help afford this). Will look great next to my Sub-Mariner 5. Also on the topic of U-boats, if you haven't watched greyhound, you definitely should.

00096070815000111301368006.thumb.jpg.0a106fec1fd4f868ddb018de18315f81.jpg

That is a good looking 1.5! Nice! :headbang:

12 hours ago, Comics181 said:

00096070815000111301368006.thumb.jpg.0a106fec1fd4f868ddb018de18315f81.jpg

Congratulation!!! Those All Winners aren't that easy to find, especially copies that a guy can actually afford! Well done and yeah, it'll look great with that Subby!!!!  :headbang:

The reproduction covers I posted before are finally printed and in hand! Amazing! Finally the Blazing Skull is given the respect he deserves by way of a proper first appearance cover (heck, just getting any cover appearance would have been nice for him).

My coverless copy now has a fancy new cover, and looks mighty slick in a bag/sleeve. Had multiples printed with varying levels of paper yellowing / distress and black levels in order to find the best look in hand (and a few prints of the original cover just in case)

20200805_133021.thumb.jpg.954ed85a290471b9727de64ef5d78ed4.jpg20200805_132707.thumb.jpg.5329a73254132cbdf847cf5d6717ac20.jpg

12 hours ago, Sauce Dog said:

The reproduction covers I posted before are finally printed and in hand! Amazing! Finally the Blazing Skull is given the respect he deserves by way of a proper first appearance cover (heck, just getting any cover appearance would have been nice for him).

My coverless copy now has a fancy new cover, and looks mighty slick in a bag/sleeve. Had multiples printed with varying levels of paper yellowing / distress and black levels in order to find the best look in hand (and a few prints of the original cover just in case)

20200805_133021.thumb.jpg.954ed85a290471b9727de64ef5d78ed4.jpg20200805_132707.thumb.jpg.5329a73254132cbdf847cf5d6717ac20.jpg

Admire your dedication! (thumbsu

18 hours ago, Sauce Dog said:

Looks great!!! This is a fantastic way to enjoy and showcase a coverless copy!!! It also helps to instantly identify it when looking thru a comic box with other coverless copies! Cool (thumbsu

7 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

5349284a-e430-4a90-953f-e8334bef3943_zps

GREAT copy Cat! Here's a screen grab of a copy someone posted after removing Bucky from the image. If I remember correctly, it was that persons feeling that Bucky was added to the cover art as an after thought, like they discovered he wasn't on there and they just kind of plopped him in, which is why it looks like he's oddly on Cap's neck. I don't own this! I DO think it's an interesting variation though. 

Cap 61 no Bucky.png

45 minutes ago, Frisco Larson said:

GREAT copy Cat! Here's a screen grab of a copy someone posted after removing Bucky from the image. If I remember correctly, it was that persons feeling that Bucky was added to the cover art as an after thought, like they discovered he wasn't on there and they just kind of plopped him in, which is why it looks like he's oddly on Cap's neck. I don't own this! I DO think it's an interesting variation though. 

Cap 61 no Bucky.png

I remember discussing how much Bucky looked like an afterthought.  I'm glad someone reimagined it.  From an artist's viewpoint, I can honestly say that this cover without Bucky is so much better realized.  Even the points of reference in respect to front/back depth work a lot better (it no longer looks like the illustrator ...cover has been attributed to Syd Shores... was trying to channel MC Escher).  Thanks for reposting this!  (thumbsu

:tink:

5 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

I remember discussing how much Bucky looked like an afterthought.  I'm glad someone reimagined it.  From an artist's viewpoint, I can honestly say that this cover without Bucky is so much better realized.  Even the points of reference in respect to front/back depth work a lot better (it no longer looks like the illustrator ...cover has been attributed to Syd Shores... was trying to channel MC Escher).  Thanks for reposting this!  (thumbsu

:tink:

You're welcome! I agree, it's a much better composition without Bucky drawn the way he was. It's one of only a handful of Red Skull covers, so it's always been a special cover to me due to that. Once again, you've got a great looking copy!