Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
32 32

19,775 posts in this topic

5,372 posts
On 7/11/2019 at 5:37 PM, MrBedrock said:

And a couple of Destroyers...

mystic6.jpg

mystic7.jpg

Ever since I picked up my first comic book off the newsstand, ALL WINNERS #4, The DESTROYER has been one of my favorites...terrific books!

Marty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,550 posts
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Marty Mann said:

Thank you for such kind remarks...little did I ever think some 75+ years ago that I would be sharing pictures of my comics with so many people!

Marty

You’re entirely welcome and indeed, being able to share is great.  That said, I shudder to think what life would’ve been like if we’d had the internet 75 years ago.  I’m kinda glad the main communication devices were newspapers, magazines and ...comics!  (thumbsu

Edited by Cat-Man_America

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,444 posts
22 minutes ago, Marty Mann said:

Thank you for such kind remarks...little did I ever think some 75+ years ago that I would be sharing pictures of my comics with so many people!

Marty

It must have been awesome walking up to those news stands in the 40s and seeing all these incredible anti-Nazi covers with colors blazing at you ... do you remember the greatest quantity of dime books you may have purchased during one of those news stand visits?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,412 posts
On 7/18/2019 at 11:51 AM, Marty Mann said:

I can honestly say that I do not remember ever buying more than one comic book at a time...and yes it was always a high point of any

day to visit favorite newsstands or newsrooms.

Marty

Can you describe going to get a comic?  Were the shopkeepers nice?  Could you read the comics before purchasing? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,444 posts
14 minutes ago, Marty Mann said:

Thank you for asking...this is one of the best questions I've ever been asked.

There were so many different places to buy comics:

First, there was the neighborhood newsstand that sold as many cigarettes and cigars as they did magazines...you could pick through them as long asyou didn't get caught messing up the stacks...the main thing was to try and not draw attention to yourself by the guy behind the counter.

Second, the was the downtown W.T. GRANTS or any other 5 & 10...their comic rack was in the Toy Department and as a rule you could take them out of the rack and look at them and put them back in order...again time was the factor, you didn't want to draw too much attention to yourself from the clerk.

Third, there was the UNION NEWSSTAND located at every Train Station in the country.  Again, they also sold more candy and cigarettes and newspapers than they did comic books so you seemed to have forever to look through the selection.  This was without a doubt my favorite place to buy comics.  They seemed to have titles you never saw anywhere else.

And Last, there was the corner Ice Cream and Soda Fountain, sometimes located in a Drug Store...this was my least favorite location as the "This is not a Library" attitude was stated...I could never understand why.  Strange though, this was where you could buy those remainder comics from a box at the end of the counter.

All in all, it was truly a terrific time to be a kid looking for a dimes worth of enjoyment.

 

Marty

Marty: thanks for sharing this ... I feel like I just went back in time (who needs a time machine when you can read accounts like this?) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,412 posts
2 hours ago, Marty Mann said:

Thank you for asking...this is one of the best questions I've ever been asked.

There were so many different places to buy comics:

First, there was the neighborhood newsstand that sold as many cigarettes and cigars as they did magazines...you could pick through them as long asyou didn't get caught messing up the stacks...the main thing was to try and not draw attention to yourself by the guy behind the counter.

Second, the was the downtown W.T. GRANTS or any other 5 & 10...their comic rack was in the Toy Department and as a rule you could take them out of the rack and look at them and put them back in order...again time was the factor, you didn't want to draw too much attention to yourself from the clerk.

Third, there was the UNION NEWSSTAND located at every Train Station in the country.  Again, they also sold more candy and cigarettes and newspapers than they did comic books so you seemed to have forever to look through the selection.  This was without a doubt my favorite place to buy comics.  They seemed to have titles you never saw anywhere else.

And Last, there was the corner Ice Cream and Soda Fountain, sometimes located in a Drug Store...this was my least favorite location as the "This is not a Library" attitude was stated...I could never understand why.  Strange though, this was where you could buy those remainder comics from a box at the end of the counter.

All in all, it was truly a terrific time to be a kid looking for a dimes worth of enjoyment.

 

Marty

So great!  I really appreciate your time and reply!

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,372 posts
32 minutes ago, Knightsofold said:

So great!  I really appreciate your time and reply!

Thank you!

It was my pleasure!

Marty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
32 32