• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steve Ditko...
1 1

238 posts in this topic

What's your opinion on him?

I just finished watching a program w/ Jonathan Ross on him which was pretty crazy.

For a real detailed look at Ditko buy or get from the library

Strange or Sranger: The World of Steve Ditko (thumbs u

Lots of answers in particular why he left Marvel.

Only $26 hardcover on Amazon. I got it when it first was released the story and art is incredible.

WEBHEAD

Even as a hard core Randian, it still makes no sense. Hey, come out of the shell and doodle some Spiderman heads and sell 'em for $1000 a piece. No, he doesn't have to and you can't force him to. And yes he could just flip burgers to survive.

But even from an objectivist POV, why doesn't Steve Ditko sell his drawings (old or new) for whatever he can get for them or for whatever he thinks they are worth. He can even demand payment in gold bullion or cigarettes with gold dollar signs stamped on them. Nothing prevents him from doing just that.

Maybe, that he'd have to pay taxes? But the guy pays taxes in other ways so it's not like he can protest every aspect of life.

So it goes.

Well.. if you guys are doing it.. maybe i should try my luck as well..

I think a few of us should, what' the worst that could happen?

I'd love a reply alone, even if he just said, 'leave me alone', haha.

I'm thinking of getting a group of fans together to go to his house and publicly confront him until he signs a bunch of autographs.

If that fails, I'm thinking a paper sack full of dog with a crude drawing of spider-man on it might do the trick. No need to light it...one look at the spidey figure should send him into a fit of rage.

You should check if he has a gun permit or that might not turn out how you want.

If you recruited someone with a passing resemblance to go around town posing as Steve Ditko that might draw him out of his shell.

Its sad to see a great artist hating his audience to this point. :(

Maybey he hates his audience because they demand things!

Some comic fans seem to have a sence of entitlement and think they are owned sigs. Creators do not have to give you or me anything. Reading the demands in this thread makes me think sometimes Ditko had the right idea.

Even as a hard core Randian, it still makes no sense. Hey, come out of the shell and doodle some Spiderman heads and sell 'em for $1000 a piece. No, he doesn't have to and you can't force him to. And yes he could just flip burgers to survive.

But even from an objectivist POV, why doesn't Steve Ditko sell his drawings (old or new) for whatever he can get for them or for whatever he thinks they are worth. He can even demand payment in gold bullion or cigarettes with gold dollar signs stamped on them. Nothing prevents him from doing just that.

Maybe, that he'd have to pay taxes? But the guy pays taxes in other ways so it's not like he can protest every aspect of life.

So it goes.

Good points, but I see it a bit different. To ME he is exacting his individualism by doing what ever he wants to. Ditko is obviously bitter, and feels cheated, and disrespected in many ways, so what does he do? He takes HIS fame and popularity, and uses it in the way HE sees fit, the individual.

The fans, the industry, the genre, ect... is simply a vehicle to a means to an end to him, nothing personally rewarding, nor satisfactory. (again, not that i agree with this, but its just a view I have)

As the 'individual' Steve Ditko, what does HE do? he takes work that he KNOWS is valued in millions, is adored by fans and peers, and that he's KEPT FOR YEARS (for the individuals needs) and now, he just...well, gives them away :o I mean, a bit insane, but I have MAD respect for ANYONE that has balls like that.

Anyway, we could partake in an Ayn Rand dance on these boards for YEARS (thumbs u so i'll just leave it there.

A couple of interesting things on Mr. Ditko

In 1987, Ditko was presented a Comic-Con International Inkpot Award in absentia, accepted on his behalf by Renegade Press publisher Deni Loubert, who had published Ditko's World the previous year. Ditko refused the award, and returned it to Loubert after having phoned her to say, "Awards bleed the artist and make us compete against each other. They are the most horrible things in the world. How dare you accept this on my behalf". At his behest, Loubert returned the award to the convention organizers.

Ditko resides in New York City as of 2008. He has refused to give interviews or make public appearances since the 1960s, explaining in 1969 that, "When I do a job, it’s not my personality that I’m offering the readers but my artwork. It’s not what I'm like that counts; it’s what I did and how well it was done.... I produce a product, a comic art story. Steve Ditko is the brand name". He has, however, contributed numerous essays to Snyder's fanzine The Comics.

In 1987, Ditko was presented a Comic-Con International Inkpot Award in absentia, accepted on his behalf by Renegade Press publisher Deni Loubert, who had published Ditko's World the previous year. Ditko refused the award, and returned it to Loubert after having phoned her to say, "Awards bleed the artist and make us compete against each other. They are the most horrible things in the world. How dare you accept this on my behalf". At his behest, Loubert returned the award to the convention organizers.

Ditko resides in New York City as of 2008. He has refused to give interviews or make public appearances since the 1960s, explaining in 1969 that, "When I do a job, it’s not my personality that I’m offering the readers but my artwork. It’s not what I'm like that counts; it’s what I did and how well it was done.... I produce a product, a comic art story. Steve Ditko is the brand name". He has, however, contributed numerous essays to Snyder's fanzine The Comics.

What's the source for that Ditko quotation?

His mouth. :makepoint:

:think:

:makepoint:

What's your opinion on him?

I just finished watching a program w/ Jonathan Ross on him which was pretty crazy.

I love Steve Ditko! After reading this thread, though....I need to go through it and answer a lot of stuff about him. The BBC program you refer to was great, even the disappointing (for viewers anyway) ending.

However, he's got his demons that he must live with and unfortunately for us, he's a recluse and an almost impossible man to talk to.

I don't consider his actions to be that of a man "with demons." He does what he chooses and what he chooses leaves many of us (me included) confused. He's not really a recluse and I've found him to be very engaging and even friendly in his own way. He simply states what he thinks without sugar coating anything and the receiver of his message takes what they will from it. Some find it rude and harsh, some find it to be the truth, some find it to be both.

I wonder if anybody on this board is friends with him, or has an address to write to him or something. I don't know.

We've exchanged several letters. I'll PM you.

His address is not a secret, many people have written him over the years. He sometimes replies with a sentence or two in a letter that is unsigned. He refuses to autograph anything for fans or anyone else. I don't think he is a recluse, he just has no interest in fandom or notoriety. He does travel from his home to visit publishers and attend business meetings, or did when he was still working regularly.

I first wrote him in the 90's when he was working for Defiant Comics, and asked about sending him a Marvel Masterworks for him to sign. He responded with a nearly full-page letter apologizing for not having the time to entertain such requests. I've wrote several times since and always received letters back. I can only think of one that he signed with his first and last name, instead he prefers "S.D." or simply "Steve."

I believe he does still travel occasionally and he is still wroking regularly albeit slower than he used to. He is working with Robin Snyder and just put out "Ditko, Etc...." which contains some comics stories as well as an essay or two. Snyder also puts out the fanzine "The Comics!" which has had several Ditko articles through the years. I'm trying to find all of his essays in these books if anyone has any leads.

I think a few of us should, what' the worst that could happen?

I'd love a reply alone, even if he just said, 'leave me alone', haha.

As long as you're serious and respectful, I don't think a reply is out of the question.

I'm thinking of getting a group of fans together to go to his house and publicly confront him until he signs a bunch of autographs.

If that fails, I'm thinking a paper sack full of dog with a crude drawing of spider-man on it might do the trick. No need to light it...one look at the spidey figure should send him into a fit of rage.

And you wonder why he shuns the spotlight. He created what he wanted and got what he wanted out of it. He doesn't owe anyone anything and despises those who believe that he does.

Its sad to see a great artist hating his audience to this point. :(

He doesn't hate his audience, he simply doesn't want to deal with them. I've asked for autographs from time to time in our letters, and he always politely refuses stating that if he does one for me, he would have to do one for everyone that requests it. I don't see that as hate, I see that as a man who wants to be fair and doesn't have the time or inclination to respond to every autograph seeker.

Steve Ditko is one of my all-time favorites. When I get an ASM run going, I only desire issues #1-#38. After that, there is still some good stuff, but it is generally not in keeping with how I view the character. I agree with much of his creative sentiments. I think of him as the real creator of the "character" Spider-Man, even though the conceptual idea of Spidey was not his. He is the one who really created the character though.

I like his character, Mr. A. Very interesting work. Again, much of his sentiments expressed I can agree or at least understand.

I'm with you on these statements. I really want the first 38 issues for Ditko's work more than anything. I will also always believe that he is the co-creator of Spidey. The concept is one thing, but giving it life is another.

Mr. A is unique, and I do like it, but it gets kind of over the top on the melodrama from time to time and becomes a real beating over the head for some of his views occasionally. I knew that Rorschach (of Watchmen fame) was a take-off of the Question, that was obvious. What I didn't know is that his extremist views were supposed to be a satire of Ditko's personal philosophy, a philosophy that is plain to see in his Mr. A work.

For a real detailed look at Ditko buy or get from the library

Strange or Sranger: The World of Steve Ditko (thumbs u

Lots of answers in particular why he left Marvel.

Only $26 hardcover on Amazon. I got it when it first was released the story and art is incredible.

WEBHEAD

I still haven't read this all the way through. I have to assume the answers about Marvel are speculation. I really need to get that book back out......

Some comic fans seem to have a sence of entitlement and think they are owned sigs. Creators do not have to give you or me anything. Reading the demands in this thread makes me think sometimes Ditko had the right idea.

You hit it right on the head! Ditko has given us what he wants to give us, his work. And you're right, he may have the right idea.

To ME he is exacting his individualism by doing what ever he wants to. Ditko is obviously bitter, and feels cheated, and disrespected in many ways, so what does he do? He takes HIS fame and popularity, and uses it in the way HE sees fit, the individual.

I don't think Mr. Ditko is particularly bitter, feels cheated and disrespected? Probably. I think everyone looks at his philosphy and his lack of desire to be "embraced" by his fans and says he's crazy or bitter. I don't think either are fair. He has his own moral, ethical and personal codes and adheres to them more than anyone I have ever encountered. I find his adherence impressive to say the least, in that he would rather maintain his principles than trade them for an easy lifestyle or easy money. How many of us can say the same? It's easy to keep up your principles when there's nothing to gain, but how many of us can say we would still keep them up in the face of fortune and fame?

The fans, the industry, the genre, ect... is simply a vehicle to a means to an end to him, nothing personally rewarding, nor satisfactory. (again, not that i agree with this, but its just a view I have)

I think he finds his rewards in his work, and that's what he wants. We don't have to understand it on any level other than it makes him happy.

As the 'individual' Steve Ditko, what does HE do? he takes work that he KNOWS is valued in millions, is adored by fans and peers, and that he's KEPT FOR YEARS (for the individuals needs) and now, he just...well, gives them away :o I mean, a bit insane, but I have MAD respect for ANYONE that has balls like that.

I've never heard anything about this. I've heard rumors of vast stores of original art in his studio, but nothing about giving it away to anyone. I've even read reports of him using early Spidey art for cutting boards.

Anyway, we could partake in an Ayn Rand dance on these boards for YEARS (thumbs u so i'll just leave it there.

I've got to get through one of her books. I just don't find them particularly interesting even though I'm trying to get a better grasp on one of my heroes' value system.

:makepoint:

I assume the quotation was published somewhere. :sumo: :sumo:

Ditko interview in Masters of Imagination: The Comic Book Artists Hall of Fame by Mike Benton (Taylor Publishing, 1994) ISBN-10 0878338594, ISBN-13 978-0878338597) & quoting from fanzine Marvel Main #4 (1969), published by Mike Howell and Richard Howell

Edited by SilverLurker

Ditko interview in Masters of Imagination: The Comic Book Artists Hall of Fame by Mike Benton (Taylor Publishing, 1994) ISBN-10 0878338594, ISBN-13 978-0878338597) & quoting from fanzine Marvel Main #4 (1969), published by Mike Howell and Richard Howell

Thanks.

Ditko is certainly one of the Founding Fathers of Marvel Comics and his contributions to the medium are huge.

That being said, and with all due respect, does everybody posting in and reading this thread really LIKE his artwork? I never cared for it myself...give me Adams or Wrightson any day! (shrug)

His line is very delicate in the old Marvel Comics and does not hold up well in reprint form. He was also one of those intuitive artists who drew and inked with an understanding as to how colour would interact with his images. Therefore black and white images and images boldly recoloured do not match with his original intent. One truly needs to view his work in the original form on newsprint.