• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steve Ditko...
1 1

238 posts in this topic

hm sooo.. you're saying that dufman's comic is a total fake..show us the real Mcoy then..

:gossip: Not my book - tabcom posted it.

Not real... Ditko uses his "S. Ditko" for signing original artwork or name-address headers. In the autographs I've seen, he almost always signs his full name in cursive followed by a date/year. Plus, the example above is just too neat, well-spaced, and overlabored with the serif on the "S". There are actually tell-tale characteristics that are missing that I would have expected from a real Ditko signature. This actually looks like an instance of Ditko's professional lettering copied from a comics page. Anyone familiar with Ditko's everyday penmanship knows that his signature is not that perfect and has idiosyncrasies.

I happily admit I have never seen his autograph or handwriting, but it was the awareness of just how offbeat he can appear that got me thinking that if he did sign anything, he may well do the "neatly printed" thing, similar to the name that appears on his art. Sort of an ersatz signature that satisfies the punter and at the same time doesn't compromise his principles i.e it is not a "real" autograph.

The signed splash page is from Strange Tales #118.

I bought it, along with about 15 other Strange Tales'.

Also in that stack were a couple signed Jack Kirby comics. The collection came from NJ.

Is it not true that Ditko did attend early comic cons in the NY\NJ area (circa 1964-65)? If so, it is reasonable to assume he signed comics for fans?

Although it is impossible to confirm the authenticity, it is an odd coincidence that within a stack of Strange Tales Comics would be signed copies from Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko.

Rockman2008 . . . although your skepticism is noteworthy . . . perhaps if someone who attended one of the early comic cons and had S. Ditko sign a comic came forward -- this would validate the authenticity of the scan I posted.

Is it true that one time Ditko was at an Albertson's grocery store check out line and when it was time to pay, he used his debit card, and when the clerk kindly asked him to place his "John Hancock" on the receipt, he looked up and said "pfft.. get in line" ... drew a circle on the paper...and walked away

The checkout girl said.. "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKAAYYYY" :o

Is it not true that Ditko did attend early comic cons in the NY\NJ area (circa 1964-65)? If so, it is reasonable to assume he signed comics for fans?

Although it is impossible to confirm the authenticity, it is an odd coincidence that within a stack of Strange Tales Comics would be signed copies from Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko.

Rockman2008 . . . although your skepticism is noteworthy . . . perhaps if someone who attended one of the early comic cons and had S. Ditko sign a comic came forward -- this would validate the authenticity of the scan I posted.

The comic cons in that time frame would have been a new phenomenon...and Ditko's attendance would have been well-noted. He only attended one in that time-frame...although it would be interesting to hear from someone change the historical record.

I can't comment on your signed Kirby until I can compare it with the other signed Kirby's I've seen.

hm sooo.. you're saying that dufman's comic is a total fake..show us the real Mcoy then..

:gossip: Not my book - tabcom posted it.

Not real... Ditko uses his "S. Ditko" for signing original artwork or name-address headers. In the autographs I've seen, he almost always signs his full name in cursive followed by a date/year. Plus, the example above is just too neat, well-spaced, and overlabored with the serif on the "S". There are actually tell-tale characteristics that are missing that I would have expected from a real Ditko signature. This actually looks like an instance of Ditko's professional lettering copied from a comics page. Anyone familiar with Ditko's everyday penmanship knows that his signature is not that perfect and has idiosyncrasies.

I happily admit I have never seen his autograph or handwriting, but it was the awareness of just how offbeat he can appear that got me thinking that if he did sign anything, he may well do the "neatly printed" thing, similar to the name that appears on his art. Sort of an ersatz signature that satisfies the punter and at the same time doesn't compromise his principles i.e it is not a "real" autograph.

If anything Ditko's real autograph doesn't have that ornamental flair like Frazetta's famous signature (not his cursive style). The sample shown is overly labored and too formal...which is not Steve's style.

Even I had doubts about an autographed Spidey reprint when I bought it, until I showed it to Mark Ditko and he confirmed it was the real mccoy. It was only after he commented about certain characteristics that I was convinced.

Yeah, that looks to be a real Kirby signature from the mid-60's. I can't explain why there's a funny looking Ditko signature in the same pile...but I'll leave it open for others to step forward with examples of Ditko autographs from the 60's.

Another possibility is back in the 60's, kids would write or send in comics to the Bullpen asking for their favorites to sign. When a staff member wasn't available, it would be customary for Flo Steinberg or Sol Brodsky to sign in his stead. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case with Ditko; his time at the office became less and lesser with his growing dissatisfaction with Marvel from '65 onward.

To my kowledge, he only attended a single convention in 1964 or so. It is not beyond belief that he could have signed books there.

I believe they could have both been present and that if the books are from the same orignal owner, they could have been signed at the same time.

It doesn't look like the signatures I have, but mine are done 40 (or so) years later under completely different circumstances. This one is pretty typical.....

68593.jpg

Is it true that one time Ditko was at an Albertson's grocery store check out line and when it was time to pay, he used his debit card, and when the clerk kindly asked him to place his "John Hancock" on the receipt, he looked up and said "pfft.. get in line" ... drew a circle on the paper...and walked away

The checkout girl said.. "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKAAYYYY" :o

:roflmao:

i love these.

do more!

Probably one of the most important Dr. Strange stories of the entire Ditko run. "If Eternity Should Fail!" - Strange Tales #138.

img006.jpg

I can't believe that this story didn't even merit a mention on the cover!

img655.jpg

Eternity pre-dates Galactus by 4 months. He is just as mysterious and frightening. It's fascinating to me how some characters are instant hits, while others are easily forgotten.