• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buy DrawerBoxes!

18 posts in this topic

Can you guys do me a favor and go out and buy all the DrawerBoxes you can find? I really need this product to be a huge success so they can finally set up a European plant.

My new house will be finished prettty soon and I wanted to equip the comic book room with DrawerBoxes, but spending $116.50 on postage for a $50 set of five long boxes is a bit much. Especially if you need 40 long boxes... :P

Here's their e-mail:

Hi Rudi,

Thanks for your interest in our DrawerBoxes™.

Unfortunately, shipping overseas is costly, which is why we don’t promote it. If we ship via priority parcel post (standard parcel post is no longer available outside the U.S.) the cost is $116.50 USD per 5-pack case of longs ($122.50 if 5 BoxSort rails are included) and $98.50 USD per 5-pack case of shorts ($104.50 if 5 BoxSort rails are included) and takes 10-15 days for delivery. While I would have to have your shipping address with postal code to give you an exact quote for UPS, I can tell you that shipping overseas via UPS is even more costly. Shipping a pack of 5 units via UPS would probably cost over $200 USD plus a brokerage fee. Germany will also add their tariff on top of that when it is delivered.

Cardboard is one of the most expensive products to ship because it is made of paper, which is fairly dense (As anyone who has lifted a long box can attest) and also has a lot of volume due to the corrugation. Since the DrawerBoxes require an oversize container for shipping the cost is even higher. The only practical solution is to set up a European manufacturing plant at some time, although it is still a number of years away since we are still trying to expand across our own country.

Rich

If anybody has an idea how to get these things over here at a more reasonable rate, please chime in.

Thanks!

Can you guys do me a favor and go out and buy all the DrawerBoxes you can find? I really need this product to be a huge success so they can finally set up a European plant.

My new house will be finished prettty soon and I wanted to equip the comic book room with DrawerBoxes, but spending $116.50 on postage for a $50 set of five long boxes is a bit much. Especially if you need 40 long boxes... :P

Here's their e-mail:

Hi Rudi,

Thanks for your interest in our DrawerBoxes™.

Unfortunately, shipping overseas is costly, which is why we don’t promote it. If we ship via priority parcel post (standard parcel post is no longer available outside the U.S.) the cost is $116.50 USD per 5-pack case of longs ($122.50 if 5 BoxSort rails are included) and $98.50 USD per 5-pack case of shorts ($104.50 if 5 BoxSort rails are included) and takes 10-15 days for delivery. While I would have to have your shipping address with postal code to give you an exact quote for UPS, I can tell you that shipping overseas via UPS is even more costly. Shipping a pack of 5 units via UPS would probably cost over $200 USD plus a brokerage fee. Germany will also add their tariff on top of that when it is delivered.

Cardboard is one of the most expensive products to ship because it is made of paper, which is fairly dense (As anyone who has lifted a long box can attest) and also has a lot of volume due to the corrugation. Since the DrawerBoxes require an oversize container for shipping the cost is even higher. The only practical solution is to set up a European manufacturing plant at some time, although it is still a number of years away since we are still trying to expand across our own country.

Rich

If anybody has an idea how to get these things over here at a more reasonable rate, please chime in.

Thanks!

Get them to set you up as the European distributor for the boxes.

That way you can get the blue prints and manufacturing parameters to have them made on your side of the Atlantic.

Then you can supply all the comic shops and collectors over there, and probably get your 40 boxes for free ( if you don't count the time, effort, and cost of getting it off the ground).

Ok....so that's not an easy answer. :sorry:

C

The cheapo Ikea wooden shelves (about $25 CAN $ here each), when placed one in front of the other (with the shelves adjusted to the same height of course) and held together at the center for strength, will hold 20 longboxes each.

Similar to these:

20491_PE105639_S4.jpg

Four of these shelves will safely hold all the longboxes, offer ease of access, and can be stained/treated as you like. I used these until I moved and thinned the collection a bit. I now have all my books in armoires in the diningroom actually:

Armoires.jpg

PICT0205.jpg

Drawer boxes are okay, though I think you could do a lot better for what it'll cost you!

hm European distributor... I may have to look into that... lol

IKEA is not an option, but I like the dining room solution. Kinda like chromium's system with doors. I'll have to keep this in mind. Thanks for sharing!

Move to America... rantrant

I did. Found out there's no soccer, no good beer and no Autobahn. So I moved back :P

(tsk) European's don't call it soccer - you should know better lol

They're not that good, I wouldn't be so upset about it....

I tried these at a local show and was not impressed.

The drawers do not slide smoothly... actually very rough pulling out a loaded drawer. And, you could never pull out a drawer more than 1/3 of its length and actually leave it hanging open -- it's too heavy... I suspect the drawer would topple over or crumple in half.

Give me a real cabinet or plain old short boxes where I can easily flip off the lid.

The weight of the box ON TOP of the lower box keeps it from toppling when the drawer is pulled out. (They also have connectors that connect each box to its neighbor.)

I did. Found out there's no soccer, no good beer and no Autobahn. So I moved back :P

What about the girls though Rudi?

There is soccer!!

My nieces play as do my wife and her girlfriends! :whistle:

Perfect answer to Tupenny's question...

Girls playing soccer. The Apocalypse is upon us. :baiting:

Please don't google "current womens soccer world champions" doh!

check out Mschmidt's pics in the comic book room thread. He makes real nice use of file cabinets to store books in using foamboard dividers. Apparently they will fit a ton of books nicely

I did. His pics actually made me want to get some DrawerBoxes. I bet the file cabinets are a really practical solution, but somehow I'm not sure I want these in my comic room. Too much of that bureaucracy/local customs office/order order order feel to them. Boxes on the other hand always carry the risk of being dropped, crushed, gnawed through or soaked in a flood. And I like that certain element of danger... Call me Rex Kramer... :insane:

(tsk) European's don't call it soccer - you should know better lol

:gossip: trying to be understood by the natives... :whistle:

The weight of the box ON TOP of the lower box keeps it from toppling when the drawer is pulled out. (They also have connectors that connect each box to its neighbor.)

^^

Drawerboxes are not meant to be used individually - it's when you stack them up in grid, they start racking up the awesome points.