• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mouse Guard Appreciation Thread

165 posts in this topic

Did anyone pick up the black and white deluxe hardcover version of Fall? It looks pretty cool, but I agree with others that I wish there was more Mouse Guard. I'll probably re-read Fall and Winter when #6 finally comes out.

Same here. I'm kind of treating #6 as the completion to a trade reprint so I can sit down and read it all in one shot instead of waiting a few months for the next installment. This book (well, the next season anyway) should do much better once it gets on a regular schedule.

If any of you Mouse Guard fans are interested Im going to be putting a very rare Comixpress Edition of #1 for sale soon. Its a slabbed 9.2 copy. Only about 250 of these where printed and they dont go up for sale often so PM me if you want first dibs! I would hate to put this thing on ebay :(

Did anyone pick up the black and white deluxe hardcover version of Fall? It looks pretty cool, but I agree with others that I wish there was more Mouse Guard. I'll probably re-read Fall and Winter when #6 finally comes out.

I have #1000/1000. It's great. But holy moley did Diamond beat the heck out of it.

Well, I'm quite late to this party and though not much of a modern reader, I did stumble upon this series. Let me just say fantastic stuff here. Between MG and Mice Templar, I am loving these neo-Medieval mouse tales! I love it when art and story combine so well like Peterson has managed.

Definitely looking forward to MG: Black Axe!

I read the first series and started on the second series. The art is absolutely fantastic, the setting is great, and it's obvious that great care was taken to ensure the world, settings, props, and so on was as believable as possible. My only gripe is the minimal amount of text. I read my comics slower than other people say they do. I never breeze through a floppy in five minutes. I love studying each line on each panel, absorbing the artwork as I absorb the words. Mouseguard is not short on artwork to absorb but the text is light and I do get through them much faster than I feel I should. I dunno. Just a quick read. I still like it though, I just wish the dialogue and narrative was as epic as the scenery.

In some ways though, I feel like the story is unencumbered through it's choice to depend on the strength of the art over relying on the text to tell the story. So many times I found myself going back and forth between the pages to continue soaking up the art and didn't need Petersen telling me what was important.

On the otherhand, I found with Mice Templar that the additional text helped move things along. I think it just has to do with the aim of the creative team / creator.

Here is my Comixpress Mouse Guard #1 CGC 9.4 . A heck of a hard book to track down!

For those that are new to Mouse Guard 250 of these where printed prior to the first print of the series and is considered the "true" first printing of the book. The Comixpress can be differentiated from the regular printing as having a $3.00 price on the cover and a B&W interior.

mouse_guard_1___1.jpg

mouse_guard_1___2.jpg

More than just a great writer and artist...David does some of the best convention sketch pieces around. One of the best bargains, dollar for dollar, you will find.

minutemice_02-02-2010_19-46-53.jpg

More than just a great writer and artist...David does some of the best convention sketch pieces around. One of the best bargains, dollar for dollar, you will find.

I strongly second that:

mouse-guard-sketch-2-david-petersen.jpg

minutemice_02-02-2010_19-46-53.jpg

both of the sketches above me are excellent. wish i had asked him at long beach. he was all alone, but there were no prices, and i didn't have too much money left.

both of the sketches above me are excellent. wish i had asked him at long beach. he was all alone, but there were no prices, and i didn't have too much money left.

David charges $100 for a commission these days - he raffles away one spot pr. day at the larger shows, and does the commissions at home (I got mine about 6 weeks after WW Chicago).

$100 might seen like a lot, but his work is super, super detailed - and he'll happily draw whatever you want (I've seen some killer Hellboy & Indiana Jones sketches from him as well).

Um... $100 for THAT sort of work when compared to $150+ I've seen charged by artists for 5-minute sketches or even more for a zombie bust shot? No comparison. You could easily frame those and display them in your house.

:applause:

David charges $100 for a commission these days - he raffles away one spot pr. day at the larger shows, and does the commissions at home (I got mine about 6 weeks after WW Chicago).

$100 might seen like a lot, but his work is super, super detailed - and he'll happily draw whatever you want (I've seen some killer Hellboy & Indiana Jones sketches from him as well).

price is great. too bad you have to win a raffle.