• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Before and after pics of restoration

250 posts in this topic

So for better or for worse I will post these and see what people think. Constructive critisizim is welcome.

This is Hulk 181 sent to me for restoration because the Marvel stamp was missing and affected story. I am still waiting for the stamp and will post them later. In the meanwhile I did some work to the cover. I am doing this comic for free except for cost of stamp so customer is happy with the results so far ofcoarse. So first 2 pics are what the comic looked like when it came in. I dry cleaned the back cover and the white on front cover. I have been preety happy with the results of dry cleaning as I havent noticed an damage from that process so far. Color is the danger area for me and I don’t usual clean colored areas. 3rd pic is after dry cleaning a a single pressing. The 4th picture is after color touch 1st draft. I always miss a few spots and have to go back and touch up again and that is that stage I am right now.

Before's :

CopyofScan0021.jpg

CopyofScan0022.jpg

After dry cleaning:

Scan0026-1.jpg

After color touch 1st draft. Sorry this pic is at lower resolution. Will have better pic in few days.I'm on the road right now and didnt have original handy.

Scan0057.jpg

WHY WOULD YOU COLOR TOUCH THAT BOOK??????

Seriously, do the hobby a favor and stop phucking with books until you know what you are doing.

:tonofbricks:

Seriously, do the hobby a favor and stop phucking with books until you know what you are doing.

(worship) (worship)

OMG, the voice of reason.

:o

From what I can see from the smaller second scan. The book look's ruined by the CT. It didn't need it. That is the plain and simple truth.. Now the book is a PLOD!!! I would be some pizzed if this was my book. This isn't a personal attack on you. But why are you messing with CT on a book that really didn't need it??

Wow! Same mess I was saying 2 days ago and got jumped for being hostile to him.

And I didn't say it nearly as hostile as you did. hm

What about the marvel stamp ? Should I fix that ?

Some people like color touch some don’t. I understand why some people feel it’s a bad idea to color touch and I respect your opinion. Color touch happens to be my favorite restoration. On this Hulk I consider it light color touch, it raised the grade IMO and owner is happy so I feel ok with it. I am new and don’t know when to fix and when to not so I am learning but it seems like even though I can make recommendations its really up to the owner of the comic.

Holy Mother Of Mary!!!! Learn on some freaking drek. Not a Hulk 181 or other key book{s}, I guarantee the grade of this this book HAS NOT BEEN RAISED!!!! Not only that. The value of the book has been sunk. It is now a restored book. Selling for maybe 30 - 40% of guide in it's current condition.. How is this an improvement? Seriously, I want to know....

People who restore works of art, comic book, cars etc.... There not handed that one of a kind item to restore at first. There given some minor stuff to work on. Learn there craft. Then after showing there talent they will be given the higher value, rare items to work on. Learn on the lesser book's. Then work your way up.... Not vice versa............

From what I can see from the smaller second scan. The book look's ruined by the CT. It didn't need it. That is the plain and simple truth.. Now the book is a PLOD!!! I would be some pizzed if this was my book. This isn't a personal attack on you. But why are you messing with CT on a book that really didn't need it??

I think that's just tons of JPEG compression on a small image, making the red look all weird. I'm sure the real comic doesn't look like that.

But I gotta say, if I had that 181, I'd be very happy and want no restoration on it. That thing looked just fine for my taste.

Holy Mother Of Mary!!!! Learn on some freaking drek. Not a Hulk 181 or other key book{s}, I guarantee the grade of this this book HAS NOT BEEN RAISED!!!! Not only that. The value of the book has been sunk. It is now a restored book. Selling for maybe 30 - 40% of guide in it's current condition.. How is this an improvement? Seriously, I want to know....

People who restore works of art, comic book, cars etc.... There not handed that one of a kind item to restore at first. There given some minor stuff to work on. Learn there craft. Then after showing there talent they will be given the higher value, rare items to work on. Learn on the lesser book's. Then work your way up.... Not vice versa............

That's exactly what I would have put.

This guy is a butcher :sumo:

He tries to say he's just learning but he has a website offering services for different types of resto. (http://www.mikescomicshop.com)

Plain and simple he's a SCAM ARTIST preying on unsuspecting victims. :sumo:

He's obviously trying to learn the craft of restoration for profit and nothing else.

BTW... I'm a lawyer. Juststopit.DoyouWANTastrike? the degree...who needs it right?

Since when did research on restoration through the internet equate to proper education and training?

Get a fekking clue already.

:mad:

This is taken from Mike's website. You really can't offer this kind of service especially at those rates if you are learning! That doesn't look like you're not doing it for profit, you obviously are, and if you're not disclosing married covers to 'preserve the magic' then you are blatantly robbing people.

I want to make sure you are happy with Mike's Comic Shop so here's your chance to see my results. Send in some low value comics you would like to see improved or go straight for the big savings and send in that tattered yet valueable comic. There are limits, please inquire.

Rates:

$10.00 hr if comics current value is below $50.00 plus supplies

$20.00 hr if comics current value is below $500.00 plus supplies

$40.00 hr if comics current value is above $500.00 plus supplies

All comics come with Certificate which includes final Grade and CD with Digital scans of comic before and after.

Final Bagging:

Self sealing standard bag and board $ 1

1 Mil Mylar Arklite,Backboard and Microchamber paper. $5

4 mil Mylar Time loks with flap,Backboard and Microchamber $7

Hard cases Coming soon !!

Services:

Grading: Included in any Service.

Pressing Average cost:$5.00-$20.00

Dry cleaning Average cost $5.00-$20.00

Deacidification $100.00-$400.00

Tape removal $10.00-$100.00

color touch $5.00-$120.00

tear repair cost Varies

piece replacement cost Varies

Washing cost Varies

page replacement cost Varies

staple cleaning or replacement $5.00-$20.00

rust removal/prevent spread of rust cost Varies

pencil and pen removal $5.00-$150.00

MasterCPU

The problem is once you start charging for your services you stepped up from it being a hobby for fun to trying to act like a professional. These skills take years to master and quite honesty I am sure there are people out there that will never be able to master those skills. IMHO you first need to learn how to conserve a book then move on to restoration one item at a time. Restoration is as much an art form as a science. You need to know when and when not to touch a book. Just because you can add a bit of color touch doesn't mean you should.

Proper conservation/ restoration should both enhance the books looks and life of the book. 1 or 10 years from now the owner of the book shouldn't look back and say what the hell was I thinking. Improper restoration conservation puts a black eye in the field and should be considered before you do the work.

Right now I am in the process of getting my RLS (registered Land Surveyor) It takes years to become one and you need to work under a RLS. After and only after you've learned all the skills, you need take a test to become and LSIT (Land Surveyor in Training) which I currently am. All the RLSs you've worked for need to have to vouch for your skills and ethics in order to simply take the test to be an LSIT. Then you need so many years of in charge experience still under an RLS, which shows you have good judgement, to take the next test which I am waiting on the results for. Finally you take the State specific test and you become an RLS. The point is while kinda drawn out. Please do not offer your services for sale until you have mastered the art and science of restoration. You are doing everyone who has studied and worked hard to achieve their status a disservice.

MasterCPU

The problem is once you start charging for your services you stepped up from it being a hobby for fun to trying to act like a professional. These skills take years to master and quite honesty I am sure there are people out there that will never be able to master those skills. IMHO you first need to learn how to conserve a book then move on to restoration one item at a time. Restoration is as much an art form as a science. You need to know when and when not to touch a book. Just because you can add a bit of color touch doesn't mean you should.

Proper conservation/ restoration should both enhance the books looks and life of the book. 1 or 10 years from now the owner of the book shouldn't look back and say what the hell was I thinking. Improper restoration conservation puts a black eye in the field and should be considered before you do the work.

Right now I am in the process of getting my RLS (registered Land Surveyor) It takes years to become one and you need to work under a RLS. After and only after you've learned all the skills, you need take a test to become and LSIT (Land Surveyor in Training) which I currently am. All the RLSs you've worked for need to have to vouch for your skills and ethics in order to simply take the test to be an LSIT. Then you need so many years of in charge experience still under an RLS, which shows you have good judgement, to take the next test which I am waiting on the results for. Finally you take the State specific test and you become an RLS. The point is while kinda drawn out. Please do not offer your services for sale until you have mastered the art and science of restoration. You are doing everyone who has studied and worked hard to achieve their status a disservice.

Kinda like the Seinfeld episode when George says,( while theorizing about job prospects. ).." Maybe I could be a sports announcer , you know how I always make remarks when we're watching games" ? :roflmao:

Wow! Same mess I was saying 2 days ago and got jumped for being hostile to him.

And I didn't say it nearly as hostile as you did. hm

Yeah , this guy definitely needs some Dice love ! :/

:gossip:....If not , I'll be back later. This is some mess.

B~

No one ever answered my question. The hulk is missing Marvel stamp and as I understand it that gives it a grade of .5 ?

Not necessarily. It could receive a Qualified 9.4 if the rest of the book presented that way and no other work was done. I'm struggling to understand how you can offer a grading service if you don't know these things?