• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Before and after pics of restoration

250 posts in this topic

No one ever answered my question. The hulk is missing Marvel stamp and as I understand it that gives it a grade of .5 ?

Not necessarily. It could receive a Qualified 9.4 if the rest of the book presented that way and no other work was done. I'm struggling to understand how you can offer a grading service if you don't know these things?

My grading service is for books I have restored and I think I'm doing fine in that dept. If I am suppose to know how CGC grades everything then I shouldnt grade because some of the grades make no sense to me. Show me a book that has a high grade and says its missing storyline. I have read the Overstreet Grading guide over and over and I think atleast average at grading.

No one ever answered my question. The hulk is missing Marvel stamp and as I understand it that gives it a grade of .5 ?

Not necessarily. It could receive a Qualified 9.4 if the rest of the book presented that way and no other work was done. I'm struggling to understand how you can offer a grading service if you don't know these things?

My grading service is for books I have restored and I think I'm doing fine in that dept. If I am suppose to know how CGC grades everything then now I shouldnt grade because some of the grades make no sense to me. Show me a book that has a high grade and says its missing storyline.

Obviously not if you think a Marvel book with only a clipped stamp would receive a .5. Storyline missing has nothing to do with it. If you can't grade properly don't offer the service.

I'm highlighting what you are doing wrong, seriously wrong. What if you restored a book for someone and told them it would fetch an 8.0 with EA resto and the book comes back as a 4.0 with EA resto? You've put yourself in a shitty place that you can't get out of.

What if the guy you do the resto for doesn't get the book slabbed but sells it on as unrestored at a premium price then the next buyer slabs? I would hate to think.

The repurcussions of what you are doing are much bigger when you look at the bigger picture.

I am concerned about it being sold unrestored but not sure how to prevent that. Even if I seal it in some kind of slab it can always be removed. I do see your point though and its got me thinking. My grades are usually conservative (for better or worse) so I don’t think that problem will come up but I am taking a risk by grading it. Grading is so subjective and even PGX books get a different grade when sent to CGC so we will see. Thanks for your input.

Learn the craft of restoring comic book's. Research and experiment with common drek.. See what does and does not work. What method's should or shouldn't be used. Even knowing when to say No to restoring a book. Don't start out with a bigger value, key{s} or even a semi key book{s}. It takes years and years to learn this art form. I would even say a well known restorer is never tired of learning new and better ways of restoration.

There is a reason people start out at the bottom of there chosen field. It is to get that needed experience and overall understanding of what there trying to do, and not do for that matter. LEARN THE CRAFT FIRST....... Trial and error is just fine. But not on a key book{s}.... Use the drek to make the mistakes on. Not the Hulk 181's and other like books.

There is a very good reason why PGX gets a different grade than CGC once you learn the site more do a search on PGX . There is a differnce in Basement grading(pgx) and professional grading(CGC).

Learn the craft of restoring comic book's. Research and experiment with common drek.. See what does and does not work. What method's should or shouldn't be used. Even knowing when to say No to restoring a book. Don't start out with a bigger value, key{s} or even a semi key book{s}. It takes years and years to learn this art form. I would even say a well known restorer is never tired of learning new and better ways of restoration.

There is a reason people start out at the bottom of there chosen field. It is to get that needed experience and overall understanding of what there trying to do, and not do for that matter. LEARN THE CRAFT FIRST....... Trial and error is just fine. But not on a key book{s}.... Use the drek to make the mistakes on. Not the Hulk 181's and other like books.

I see now I should have said no to the keys but to late now. Its hard for me to say no so thats something I will have to work on. :)

I am concerned about it being sold unrestored but not sure how to prevent that. Even if I seal it in some kind of slab it can always be removed. I do see your point though and its got me thinking. My grades are usually conservative (for better or worse) so I don’t think that problem will come up but I am taking a risk by grading it. Grading is so subjective and even PGX books get a different grade when sent to CGC so we will see. Thanks for your input.

My honest advice would be to practice what you are doing on your own beaters for a long time until you work on other peoples books, let alone charge for it. Leave the keys alone for now and do up some real dogs of books. Then send the books to CGC and see what they come back as. Even to Matt Nelson for ProScreens so you get some professional feedback on what you're doing.

Once you've had input from the best you can take it from there and improve. Just my 2c but it's the best and safest way to go. People will really start to take you seriously if you start taking some advice on board, don't forget there are some real big hitters round here who know what they're talking about.

My honest advice would be to practice what you are doing on your own beaters for a long time until you work on other peoples books, let alone charge for it. Leave the keys alone for now and do up some real dogs of books. Then send the books to CGC and see what they come back as. Even to Matt Nelson for ProScreens so you get some professional feedback on what you're doing.

Once you've had input from the best you can take it from there and improve. Just my 2c but it's the best and safest way to go. People will really start to take you seriously if you start taking some advice on board, don't forget there are some real big hitters round here who know what they're talking about.

:golfclap::golfclap:

I just want to note as of yet I am not charging for labor. I had some prices posted for people to get an Idea of what things would cost but have since deleted prices except for the hourly rate. Sending a book into CGC is on my list and sending to Matt Nelson is now on my list thanks to you. :)

Yes I see that and it looks like that is one of the hardest parts of restoration to learn especially for someone who has a hard time saying no. I was reading up on Classics Incorporated hoping for some clue on that subject and did find a few clues but none in the matters of CT. If less is more than when is CT ever a good idea? My 1st guess would be only on a total restore but I hear that owners of the comics are constantly asking for CT so that must be one of the frequent no zones I need to learn. :)

CT is a part of restoration. If your doing a tear seal then it would be required, usually anyway. But also CT'ing that other little area of the book while your at it, probably isn't needed. If the customer says go ahead and CT this book, then do it. But if you have objections to it. Let the owner know. Tell them why it really doesn't need it done in that area. If they still insist about it. Then you can either perform the work. Or say No Thank You to that job.

Loosing money is never a good thing. But if you really believe it shouldn't be done, don't do it. Very minor CT is still restoration. You have to remember that a restored book will never sell for what a un restored book will sell for. Pressing, if done correctly. Is very hard to detect. Most likely the book will get a Blue Universal Label. CT'ing that one very minor area will get the book the dreaded PLOD!!! You have to learn when to do the right thing. Sometimes less is more.

I see now I should have said no to the keys but to late now. Its hard for me to say no when there is money to be made and books to be mutilated because I have no fekking clue as to what I am doing :)

(thumbs u motivation revealed

I see now I should have said no to the keys but to late now. Its hard for me to say no so thats something I will have to work on. :)

You are going to get somebody very angry at you. Perhaps not the owner of the commissioned work, but certainly somebody down the line. You're messing around with something you don't fully comprehend and aren't paying attention to all the warning signs. These key books you're getting are lowering the book in value by far. Thus it's very, very important that you tread extremely carefully in this field.

All you seem to be looking for is enabling. You'd only get that if you were working on common issues with very little monetary value. It is beyond obvious that you do not have enough experience in this field and should not be offering your services until you can prove yourself first. And honestly, you've got a long ways to go.

I see now I should have said no to the keys but to late now. Its hard for me to say no when there is money to be made and books to be mutilated because I have no fekking clue as to what I am doing :)

(thumbs u motivation revealed

lol Thanks Joe