• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Before and after pics of restoration

250 posts in this topic

Learn the craft of restoring comic book's. Research and experiment with common drek.. See what does and does not work. What method's should or shouldn't be used. Even knowing when to say No to restoring a book. Don't start out with a bigger value, key{s} or even a semi key book{s}. It takes years and years to learn this art form. I would even say a well known restorer is never tired of learning new and better ways of restoration.

There is a reason people start out at the bottom of there chosen field. It is to get that needed experience and overall understanding of what there trying to do, and not do for that matter. LEARN THE CRAFT FIRST....... Trial and error is just fine. But not on a key book{s}.... Use the drek to make the mistakes on. Not the Hulk 181's and other like books.

I see now I should have said no to the keys but to late now. Its hard for me to say no when there is money to be made and books to be mutilated because I have no fekking clue as to what I am doing :)

(thumbs u motivation revealed

:signfunny:

Will you guys stop being so hostile to him? He can do whatever he wants. It's a free country.

Well...it's free for a few more weeks or so. hm

No one ever answered my question. The hulk is missing Marvel stamp and as I understand it that gives it a grade of .5 ?

Not necessarily. It could receive a Qualified 9.4 if the rest of the book presented that way and no other work was done. I'm struggling to understand how you can offer a grading service if you don't know these things?

My grading service is for books I have restored and I think I'm doing fine in that dept. If I am suppose to know how CGC grades everything then I shouldnt grade because some of the grades make no sense to me. Show me a book that has a high grade and says its missing storyline. I have read the Overstreet Grading guide over and over and I think atleast average at grading.

In all seriousness...how old are you?

He'll never learn, a complete lost cause. He has no idea as to what he's doing and sees no problem in messing about with keys despite what people have told him.

He'll never learn, a complete lost cause. He has no idea as to what he's doing and sees no problem in messing about with keys despite what people have told him.

The CT looks like he is using magic markers doh!

Now, and I'm not saying it is or isn't either way, but do we know that that copy of Action Comics is his work?

Even if it is, if I was him, I'd claim it wasn't... but my comment on that forum stands. I have never seen what CT looks like under UV light. Now I do. I hope that was just to show us only that, and not showing off more of his work...

:eek:

-slym

I agree that is better to learn on a cheap books.

That being said, what I find interesting, is that so far, he has shared far more empirical examples of his learning curve than the entire cabal of high priest presstorationists on this board combined. You guys sit there and yell out how wrong everything is, yet offer zero pragmatic advice to anyone looking to legitimately learn the art. And please don't give this spiel about how it takes many years of experience, blah blah. This isn't exactly neurosurgery.

I challenge one of the high priests of pressing to come up with a thread outlining the step by step details of 'proper' pressing and restoration techniques. MasterCPU, thanks for 'sharing' your black light work, it was informative. And thanks for putting the disclosure concept to practical use.

Now, and I'm not saying it is or isn't either way, but do we know that that copy of Action Comics is his work?

Even if it is, if I was him, I'd claim it wasn't... but my comment on that forum stands. I have never seen what CT looks like under UV light. Now I do. I hope that was just to show us only that, and not showing off more of his work...

:eek:

-slym

How does he know the orange was CTd then? That is most definitely his work. The guy is a :censored:

Oh my God check the ASM and 'grades' in this thread. doh!

He really is beyond hope.

Hopefully I was a bit closer on the grade than him... :blush:

(looking at it again, probably closer to a 5.0)

I agree that is better to learn on a cheap books.

That being said, what I find interesting, is that so far, he has shared far more empirical examples of his learning curve than the entire cabal of high priest presstorationists on this board combined. You guys sit there and yell out how wrong everything is, yet offer zero pragmatic advice to anyone looking to legitimately learn the art. And please don't give this spiel about how it takes many years of experience, blah blah. This isn't exactly neurosurgery.

I challenge one of the 'experts' to come up with a thread outlining the step by step details of 'proper' pressing and restoration techniques. MasterCPU, thanks for 'sharing' your black light work, it was informative.

I had a pretty lengthy discussion with him about resto and I thought he'd taken it in. I told him to get in touch with Kenny - he didn't. I told him to submit some work to Matt Nelson for professional feedback - as far as I know he hasn't.

The fact remains he is damaging key books and continues to do so even after being told not to. And charging people for it.

His attitude stinks, he has already said he doesn't care what people think he'll carry on regardless. He'll learn nothing that way.

Oh my God check the ASM and 'grades' in this thread. doh!

He really is beyond hope.

Hopefully I was a bit closer on the grade than him... :blush:

(looking at it again, probably closer to a 5.0)

I'd say 4.5 tops. But a 7.0? Jesus....