• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper age key issues
3 3

240 posts in this topic

If you give me a concrete set of Copper years, beginning and end, I'll give you the keys, semi-keys, and issues of note.

I asked this in the other thread almost exactly like this one, but I thought TMNT 1 was the generally agreed upon first comic book of the Copper age (1984).

I think that's a MUCH better start date for Copper. I don't like the various "age" nomenclature, because eventually you just run out, but it looks like Copper is here to stay.

1970-1980 is just far too short a time period for "Bronze." There just wasn't anything that turned the industry on its ear until Turtles #1 (not for lack of trying.)

There is a seismic shift in comics, starting in about 1984 that pretty much had the same impact that early Silver did: namely the period between 1984-1987 that saw the updating of nearly everything DC, the popularity of characters like the Punisher, the renewed popularity of characters like Superman, Batman, Flash, and Wonder Woman, who hadn't enjoyed such popularity for decades, and the appearance of writers like Alan Moore, Grant Morrison, and Neil Gaiman, which set the stage for the triumphs and tragedies oif the 90's.

Plus, that time period saw the rise and fall of one of the most speculative eras in comics history: the black and white explosion.

yup, I think memory fades, but it is really hard to underestimate the importance of the B&W explosion, the second great wave of independent comic books and a huge boon to LCS (until it busted em. :( ). And of course, TMNT 1 was the landmark comic, (not the first, but the greatest) of the B&WE.

speaking of the B&WE, (and I have great affection for it- I actually have a short box full of them that I have titled, "Adjective Adjective Adjective Noun" to go with my TMNT collection.) anyone here remember, "Adventures" or "The Realm"? Two great B&W fantasy comic series. I still have all my Realms.

speaking of the B&WE, (and I have great affection for it- I actually have a short box full of them that I have titled, "Adjective Adjective Adjective Noun" to go with my TMNT collection.) anyone here remember, "Adventures" or "The Realm"? Two great B&W fantasy comic series. I still have all my Realms.

You mean like Pre-teen Dirty Gene Kung-fu Kangaroos? :headbang::P

Loved Adventures though .. good stuff

yup, I think memory fades, but it is really hard to underestimate the importance of the B&W explosion, the second great wave of independent comic books and a huge boon to LCS (until it busted em. :( ). And of course, TMNT 1 was the landmark comic, (not the first, but the greatest) of the B&WE.

Did you read my analysis of that in "What modern will be worth the most in 20 years"...? In my most humble opinion, I think it's dead on balls.

:)

Did you read my analysis of that in "What modern will be worth the most in 20 years"...? In my most humble opinion, I think it's dead on balls.

Me too, brother. (worship)

I just got word that a couple of my Copper Age semi-keys from my last submission were as sweet as I thought they were:

Dark Horse Presents 24 11/88 Dark Horse Comics 9.8 WHITE

Dark Horse Presents 10 9/87 Dark Horse Comics 9.8 WHITE

Legend of Zelda 1 1990 Valiant 9.4 WHITE

I know only you fellow Copper goofballs would appreciate them. :cloud9:

Me too, brother. (worship)

I just got word that a couple of my Copper Age semi-keys from my last submission were as sweet as I thought they were:

Dark Horse Presents 24 11/88 Dark Horse Comics 9.8 WHITE

Dark Horse Presents 10 9/87 Dark Horse Comics 9.8 WHITE

Legend of Zelda 1 1990 Valiant 9.4 WHITE

I know only you fellow Copper goofballs would appreciate them. :cloud9:

Fantastic! I have TWO copies of DHP #24 in for pre-screen @ 9.8 as we speak! There were only 6 on the last census update, so we'll see....

I love DHP #24...one of the coolest books of the 80's...wildly underrated, for what it is. If there's an Aliens 5....whoa nelly!

That list is tight. It looks like primer 2 is missing, though.

There are some super esoteric books missing, like Visions 1 and 2, Quadrant 1 etc. Overall an excellent list.

Edit: Visions is too early for this list and Quadrant is a magazine so I really may not have anything to add. :grin: Tried to see if he missed 1st Xenozoic Tales or 1st app of the Mask, but RMA is on it!

Visions is a mag as well. What's Quadrant?

You mean like Pre-teen Dirty Gene Kung-fu Kangaroos? :headbang::P

Loved Adventures though .. good stuff

(thumbs u

Link it. :baiting:

That list is tight. It looks like primer 2 is missing, though.

There are some super esoteric books missing, like Visions 1 and 2, Quadrant 1 etc. Overall an excellent list.

Edit: Visions is too early for this list and Quadrant is a magazine so I really may not have anything to add. :grin: Tried to see if he missed 1st Xenozoic Tales or 1st app of the Mask, but RMA is on it!

Visions is a mag as well. What's Quadrant?

Quadrant is a B&W comic published from 1983-about 1986, 8 issues. #1 was magazine size, #3-8 were comic size. I don't know what #2 was, as I don't have it, but I assume it was comic size. All featured nekkid chicks by Peter Hsu, who was VERY popular in the early to mid-80's for his nekkid chicks.

You need to sell me the Dark Horse Presents #10! :wishluck:

Sorry brother, no can do. Been looking for it for sooooo long. Collin (comicdey) had an amazing OO run of DHP and the 10 and the 24 both came from it. That baby is locked up in the looong term collection.