• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Value of Qualified Comics

27 posts in this topic

I know there is a formula for the value of restored comics, But how do you put a price on Qualified comics?

Also, Do the different qualifying defects make the comic more or less valuable.

For example, a cut coupon vs. a pulled staple.

Say you had a $500 book in a blue label. What would it be in a green.

Any info or 1st hand knowledge would be appreciated.

I posted this question in another area but thought I might get a better resonse here.

I know there is a formula for the value of restored comics, But how do you put a price on Qualified comics?

Also, Do the different qualifying defects make the comic more or less valuable.

For example, a cut coupon vs. a pulled staple.

You can't really compare the two , because restored books have tiers(slight,mod ad ext) whereas Q labels are more subjective. One can legitimately argue if a restored book should be slight instead of Moderate and pay more if less work was done. But when trying to determine if a book should be Qualified vs downgraded it seems to come down to personal preference.

Qualified books in similar grade can fetch different prices depending on what flaw was qualified. In my experience production flaws are more acceptable compared to a missing stamp, or similar post production destructive flaw.

So yes, it depends on what the flaw is that makes a Qualified comic more or less valuable, unless of course you find the perfect buyer who doesn't mind a given flaw on an otherwise HG book.

I think the real question here is:

"What is the real (universal blue lable) equivilant grade of a qualified (green lable) book, so I can price it accordingly"?

I have long thought that Qualified books should have an equivilant universal blue grade value on the green lable so they can be priced correctly.

"What is the real (universal blue lable) equivilant grade of a qualified (green lable) book, so I can price it accordingly"?

I have long thought that Qualified books should have an equivilant universal blue grade value on the green lable so they can be priced correctly.

I thought the grade on green labels was the blue label grade, but with a special note that there is something else to consider - such as a name on the cover (non-verified signature) etc?

I thought the grade on green labels was the blue label grade, but with a special note that there is something else to consider - such as a name on the cover (non-verified signature) etc?

I believe that the Qualified grade is the grade the book would been if the book did not have a defect.

For example, if you have a book that is 9.2 except for the fact that it has a coupon clipped, it would get a Green 9.2 ... where as the book is really a Blue 4.0 becuase it has a coupon clipped.

The entire concept of a Qualified book is just a marketing device to up the grade (and the value) on the book in question. Its like those old ads you used to see in the CBG: "NM, except for a coupon clipped out of the back cover".

Books with "married" covers should just be called restored and be done with it.

The entire concept of a Qualified book is just a marketing device to up the grade (and the value) on the book in question.

I could only provide one example of this but I think a lower grade book (say a 7.0) universal label would fetch more than a green 8.5. Obviously only using one book doesn't prove a rule but I'll do some more looking into it.

This is where I am going with this discussion:

I have a showcase #60 at CGC now that will be 9.2 Qualified because of one pulled staple. In 9.2 its a $540 book

If I would have had them put it in a Blue label it would be 7.0 or a $150 book

So I am just trying to determine the value and Did I make the right decision?

I have a showcase #60 at CGC now that will be 9.2 Qualified because of one pulled staple. In 9.2 its a $540 book

The last GPA sale of a Showcase #60 in CGC 9.2 was for $483.00 in July 2008. For comparison's sake, a CGC 9.0 Qualified sold for $101.00 but that was way back in Aug. 2002 so it should be a bit higher now. Also, the last sale of a Showcase #60 in CGC 7.0 (blue label) went for only $59.00 in May 2007. So, at least by past sales history, going with the CGC 9.2 Qualified would be a good choice over the 7.0 blue label.

You get a choice?

In a lot of cases, you will get a blue label unless you specifically request a green label.

The last GPA sale of a Showcase #60 in CGC 9.2 was for $483.00 in July 2008. For comparison's sake, a CGC 9.0 Qualified sold for $101.00 but that was way back in Aug. 2002 so it should be a bit higher now. Also, the last sale of a Showcase #60 in CGC 7.0 (blue label) went for only $59.00 in May 2007. So, at least by past sales history, going with the CGC 9.2 Qualified would be a good choice over the 7.0 blue label.

Thanks for the info. That really helps. Good example of the use of a GPA subscription

Just to be clear, were you told by CGC it would grade 9.2 Q, or 7.0 Blue? Or was this more an educated estimate? Because even the best can misread how CGC might grade a book, we all have had our share of head scratchers.

Reason I ask is because if there is even a shot at 7.5 or even 8.0 it might sway your decision to go blue label.

Just to be clear, were you told by CGC it would grade 9.2 Q, or 7.0 Blue? Or was this more an educated estimate? Because even the best can misread how CGC might grade a book, we all have had our share of head scratchers.

Reason I ask is because if there is even a shot at 7.5 or even 8.0 it might sway your decision to go blue label.

They are not the final #'s Just a well educated guess for now. I will know for sure in a few weeks :wishluck:

You just have to request which one you want

Didnt know that...I submitted a couple of books a few years ago that came back green and no one ever asked. I guess the policy has changed.

Just curious, what would the choice be if I submitted a 9.2 book with a married cover...9.2 Green or .05 Blue coverless?

In a lot of cases, you will get a blue label unless you specifically request a green label.

No - it's the other way around. You can specifically request a blue label (and corresponding grade drop), but CGC automatically hands out a qualified label if you don't say anything.

You just have to request which one you want

Didnt know that...I submitted a couple of books a few years ago that came back green and no one ever asked. I guess the policy has changed.

Just curious, what would the choice be if I submitted a 9.2 book with a married cover...9.2 Green or .05 Blue coverless?

Unless it's an Action #1, it would be foolish to put anything in a slab marked "0.5".

There are some cases where you don't have an option for a blue label when you get a qualified grade. I had a Wonder Woman 5 that I submitted and it got a qualified green. I called CGC when my order status showed Qualified 4.5 cause I nearly had a stroke. They told me it was because the staples had been cleaned. I then set out to make certain I could spot that on books afterward but that's another story. Back to the qualified label story... I asked if I could have a Universal Label (UL) and I was informed that for the particular reason that my book received a Qualified Label (QL) there was no UL equilivant so it would need to remain as a QL. So now I have a book with a QL but all in all for the reason that it was given a QL I could care less. If it was for a staple tear, coupon out etc I would make more of an impact to me. For this book the green label actually compliments the book far more than a blue label :-)

Hope this helps in the QL to UL discussion.

79538.jpg.6bad31a0c97e33022beb32b17f9705c2.jpg

So now I have a book with a QL but all in all for the reason that it was given a QL I could care less.

I feel exactly the same way about my qualified books. It will probably take a long time before I find better copies. These green labels saved be some dough and they look great, so I'm very happy.

FourColor26CGCfront.jpg

FourColor43CGCfront.jpg