• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sad news about Illustration House

71 posts in this topic

Very disorganized company in my one experience with them.

Roughly 2 years ago, I registered to be a phone bidder on an item. After multiple contacts with my correspondent during the prior week (both phone and email) they simply failed to contact me during the auction so that I could bid (an item that sold for $5k which I was prepared to bid $10k on).

I called my rep to ask for an explanation. An assistant told me he'd call me back when they got to the bottom of it. Never heard from them.

Frustrated as I was at not getting my chance at the item, I'd be far more pissed if I were the seller and their (in)action had cut the sale price of my piece in half.

Well I guess everyone that is pileing on Walt and Roger, have never, as a business, gotten in over there head, and rationalized that things were going

to get better and floated some money. I am sure all the comenters are totally

honest and aboveboard. I started dealing with Walt Reed in 1983, never a problem with anything. So it took 30 years for their dishonesty to show up.

HOGWASH!!!

Wow. Resurrected after 3 years! Good thread though to remind all --- a bird in hand is worth two in the bush. Confused? Google "bail in".

Need float? Pass the risk over to your bank by hitting your line of credit feature vs screwing your secured clients. Duh. Already blew that line up? Well then you should have seen this coming from miles away and stop taking on new business until old was settled first!

And NO there is no excuse to ever commingle funds on secured allocated assets (vs equities, bonds, loans and other fungible 'risk' assets) in which one's interest is only a small percentage, say that of a handling fee. Whether the law requires it or not, it's good enough for attorneys to do it when receiving your settlement, should be good enough for any "handler". Just imo of course.

I wonder if any of the dealers that handle consignments are bonded for their (really YOUR) inventory against fire, theft, etc? If not...guess who loses the most when the next Sandy strikes? Hopefully those that do will speak up, at some point I have over 5,000 nice pieces to consign to...somebody.

Hope this finds you all well and healthy. I am hoping you can help me!

I am on the quest to find an Illustration House painting…

In 2007 I brought a painting of my mother’s to an auction house in NYC called Illustration House and put it on consignment. I checked in with them occasionally over the years but they had not sold the painting. I know the founder Walter Reed passed away in 2015 and have since gone out of business. I just want to know what happened to the painting. 

When I consigned the picture they were at this address:

Illustration House

110 W 25th St

New York NY 10001

phone 212-966-9444

fax      212-966-9425

I’m not sure if anyone would know where I could locate the painting or see if it was ever sold. Would love to pick your brain and see if any of you may know any other information or where else I could try and search. 

Thanks very much. I appreciate any leads. 

21 minutes ago, Looking for my painting! said:

Hope this finds you all well and healthy. I am hoping you can help me!

I am on the quest to find an Illustration House painting…

In 2007 I brought a painting of my mother’s to an auction house in NYC called Illustration House and put it on consignment. I checked in with them occasionally over the years but they had not sold the painting. I know the founder Walter Reed passed away in 2015 and have since gone out of business. I just want to know what happened to the painting. 

When I consigned the picture they were at this address:

Illustration House

110 W 25th St

New York NY 10001

phone 212-966-9444

fax      212-966-9425

I’m not sure if anyone would know where I could locate the painting or see if it was ever sold. Would love to pick your brain and see if any of you may know any other information or where else I could try and search. 

Thanks very much. I appreciate any leads. 

I was traveling the back-roads of Vermont as I am want to do in my spare time. Went to the Norman Rockwell museum in Arlington. Beautiful place to visit. Big open fields and the smell of apple pie.

But I digress.

While traveling through Arlington and onto Manchester I noticed the "illustration house" logo in a shop window.

So I stopped. Talked to Roger. It was about 2 years back but his business card reads as follows : 646-334-9033. roger@illustrationhouse.com

Best of luck to you !

1 hour ago, Peter G said:

While traveling through Arlington and onto Manchester I noticed the "illustration house" logo in a shop window.

So I stopped. Talked to Roger. It was about 2 years back but his business card reads as follows : 646-334-9033. roger@illustrationhouse.com

BRAVO! I was thinking previous poster was 100% SOL too; now...maybe not!

55 minutes ago, vodou said:

BRAVO! I was thinking previous poster was 100% SOL too; now...maybe not!

Yup. Maybe and hopefully not.

If I remember correctly from our conversation Roger is a native of Arlington. That is how he ended back in rural Vermont.

He had some beautiful art in the gallery but it all was expensive imho.

51 minutes ago, Peter G said:

If I remember correctly from our conversation Roger is a native of Arlington. That is how he ended back in rural Vermont.

51 minutes ago, Peter G said:

You can try to contact Zaddick Longenbach via his CAF page. 
He used to work for IH.