• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ian Levine - A Great Comic Collection??

76 posts in this topic

In my opinion anyone who wants to collect the entire DC back catalogue must have severe Obsessive compulsive disorder and a lack of taste buds, although i'm sure the OCD thing must be pertinent to many comic collecting geeks here

good on the guy going after the whole DC collection but it sounds like he offended a lot of people on the way. :signfunny: I told a friend of mine to sign up on here but he is so obsessed that when he found out you could buy stuff on here he changed his mind so he wouldn't blow all his money.

good on the guy going after the whole DC collection but it sounds like he offended a lot of people on the way. :signfunny: I told a friend of mine to sign up on here but he is so obsessed that when he found out you could buy stuff on here he changed his mind so he wouldn't blow all his money.

:applause:

i'd wish i had thought of that.....

Reading all those threads about Ian Levine it sounds like the DC completion couldn't have been accomplished by a more undeserving person.

Oh you just wait and see if he posts in this thread. lol The Wheels are in Motion.

I couldn't be bothered to read the other threads - somebody tell me what his problem is.

me, mate...it would be quicker to read the other threads. (thumbs u

:roflmao:

The guy was a bit eccentric as Brits are wont to be.

He did have an edge to him. If you crossed him he'd disappear for a while and then come back.

He did produce some pretty big tunes did he not?

didn't realise the Pet Shop Boys connection to Ian Levine.

He gets +10 to coolness in my book.

And I remember him similarly to Roy. Bit of an edge and a sensitive fellow, but not an outright tool. He just had to respond to a lot of tools around here, and it got the better of him.

A guy at work came over to me today and asked me if I'd heard of Ian Levine. I hadn't. Apparently he was a Northern Soul record producer who apparently owns one of the most extensive DC comic collections around.

I was quite skeptical so did a bit of Googling and a lot of hits were from CPG where he apparently is/was a member. I was just curious if anybody else had heard of him or knew of this collection. Am I just being dumb?

I'm not going to read the rest of the thread right now, because I don't have time, but to quote yngwe malmsteen you've unleashed the fury. lol

The stories this board can tell about Ian are without bounds (and I hope that they're all collected here tomorrow when I have more time to lose myself in board remembrances...)

Poster: gladuchka99

Very awesome collection however. 40 years! Who else has done this? [/Quote]

I have back in the early 60's. In lesser time. Even made the local news. But in reality the news beefed up the story. Fact was, not every comic was known back then. Before Overstreet. How could you know every comic that was ever printed. But I sure had a impressive closet filled solid from floor to ceiling with comics of every kind that I knew.

I believe I let Ian know of a couple of DC's he wasn't aware of back when he was hunting DC's. Thats the only contact I ever had with him.

MC

Poster: gladuchka99

Very awesome collection however. 40 years! Who else has done this? [/Quote]

I have back in the early 60's. In lesser time. Even made the local news. But in reality the news beefed up the story. Fact was, not every comic was known back then. Before Overstreet. How could you know every comic that was ever printed. But I sure had a impressive closet filled solid from floor to ceiling with comics of every kind that I knew.

I believe I let Ian know of a couple of DC's he wasn't aware of back when he was hunting DC's. Thats the only contact I ever had with him.

MC

do you still have any of them?

I'll give you the Coles notes version of his quest:

- If you tracked a book down for him you were held in the highest regard.

- If you tried to sell a book that he needed desperately but were asking "too much" according to Ian's take on market value you were lower than pond scum and usually he would start a thread and he would go on to berate that individual on these boards.

:whistle:

And....

If he thought you had more than one copy of a book he needed, you were hoarder and bad human being. Didn't matter if he was wrong (ask Al Stoltz)

And...

If he didn't have a book, it wasn't a real comic and didn't count. That wouldn't stop him from buying it when it became available, though.

And...

If you disagreed with him and happened to be a US citizen, you were a ignorant, bigoted, fascist homophobe. Yet he had no problem making generalizations about Americans (the US ones, anyway).

Stellar human being.

and seriously, the "search" button is there for a reason. doh!

Yes I know that, having read this poxy comment in hundreds of other threads. I'd never even heard of the guy let alone him having a comic collection. Am I supposed to just guess he was a tool on the boards?

If you don't like the question being asked don't bother answering.

Don't worry, too much, boozad - I asked a question similar to yours here on the boards and stated it as "does anyone on this board know..." and got some smartazz response telling me that Google was made for a reason.

Sometimes, one just cannot win.

:)

-slym

Perhaps I was a bit harsh towards Donut - it was very early in the morning with a bad nights sleep as the kids kept waking up.

Fact is I was just asking if people had heard of him as I hadn't. If that's such a problem for some people well it sort of defeats the object of a message board if all people have to do is search for something that's already been posted.

Perhaps I was a bit harsh towards Donut - it was very early in the morning with a bad nights sleep as the kids kept waking up.

Fact is I was just asking if people had heard of him as I hadn't. If that's such a problem for some people well it sort of defeats the object of a message board if all people have to do is search for something that's already been posted.

Hes good people.Just playing around a bit .

Yeah, don't sweat it. Search function is a pain in the arse. Easier to post a thread.

Everything has been talked about here ad nasuem. If everyone just used search function all the time, we'd barely have any threads.

And, in this case, if you had doen a search, you probably would've just read the threads and said nothing and the rest of us who lived thru Ian's many "adventures" wouldn't get the chance to reminisce. :cloud9: