• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This week in your Bronze Variants collection

503 posts in this topic

Today at the Baltimore convention I got 4 35 cent variants and 19 30 cent variants. When I got home, there was a package with another 30 cent variant waiting on my desk.

I need to thank donut for three of the 35's. He found them, and the proceeds for my purchase went to the humane society. He was also responsible for the one 30 center on my desk, that I won off ebay.

The other 35 center was a book I bought back from Timmay in a forum sale thread. It was nice to finally meet you. Thanks for delivering in person and saving me a couple bucks on shipping.

Of the 19 30 centers, most appear to be HG and possibly upgrades to my primary set of 30 cent variants. I could not pass them up.

I did see several others at the con, but left them for the other people at the show.

Today at the Baltimore convention I got 4 35 cent variants and 19 30 cent variants. When I got home, there was a package with another 30 cent variant waiting on my desk.

I need to thank donut for three of the 35's. He found them, and the proceeds for my purchase went to the humane society. He was also responsible for the one 30 center on my desk, that I won off ebay.

The other 35 center was a book I bought back from Timmay in a forum sale thread. It was nice to finally meet you. Thanks for delivering in person and saving me a couple bucks on shipping.

Of the 19 30 centers, most appear to be HG and possibly upgrades to my primary set of 30 cent variants. I could not pass them up.

I did see several others at the con, but left them for the other people at the show.

Nice Haul Harry,

Perhaps a group picture?

Soooo, other than the price difference, any cover that is different than the newstand issue is considered a variant? (shrug) Are there set rules for this?

No, there are no set rules that govern everybody. Different people have different takes on what a variant is.

Now, the 30 and 35-cent price variants are fairly universally accepted as variants.

But look at the Canadian priced books. Variant or Foreign Edition?

There is no debate. If you are selling them, they are variants. To the rest of the world, they are Canadian editions.

One thing is for sure, even though they may look like them, Canadian editions are not price variants.

Soooo, other than the price difference, any cover that is different than the newstand issue is considered a variant? (shrug) Are there set rules for this?

My personal rule is that to be a true variant, the two comics must have been in the same distribution channel, in a same country/region, at the same time, to qualify.

That's why the price variants are so compelling, because these were printed up (in small quantities) for newsstand sales, right alongside the regularly-priced newsstand issues. It's the same deal with that Adventurer's Skull cover variant, and many others which were printed and sold concurrently alongside the regular version. The same with color/printing variants like the Black Venon #1, as these were right there alongside the regular version on the shelf.

Country-specific versions are obviously not variants, nor are any comic that is sent directly to retailers (i.e. RRP or premium), as it's not sold in the same venue or distribution channel.

There is no debate. If you are selling them, they are variants. To the rest of the world, they are Canadian editions.

One thing is for sure, even though they may look like them, Canadian editions are not price variants.

:headbang: