• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Westerns (Silver Age)
7 7

2,225 posts in this topic

On 2/21/2019 at 4:14 PM, BrianR said:

Here are a few random non Kirby goodness.  well  one is Kirby.

2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Pretty cool Brian, I never knew these existed.  Its interesting that the page quality is bad because from the scan they almost look like the covers are printed on card stock.  I like how the images are enlarged from the original printings.  It starts to look like Jack's work from the late seventies.

Edited by crimson dynamo

18 hours ago, crimson dynamo said:

Pretty cool Brian, I never knew these existed.  Its interesting that the page quality is bad because from the scan they almost look like the covers are printed on card stock.  I like how the images are enlarged from the original printings.  It starts to look like Jack's work from the late seventies.

The page quality on these is actually really good  these are non cardboard  stock.  They look and feel  just like the U.S. editions.   Extremely difficult to find La Prensa  pre 1964  and even harder to find anything  above good very good.  These came out withing a couple months of the U.S.  editions.   There was a delay  from my understanding as Marvel didn't want them competing  with the U.S.  You will find that the art on some books  like the FF 1   X-men 1 and JIM 83  uses the original  non  edited Kirby art for the covers.  The inking is finer of the La Prensa which  allows for more detail to be seen.   The storage conditions in South America were poorer,  a ton have moisture damage insect damage etc.  people didn't collect  like here in the U.S.  so more were tossed and the ones that survived were passed down  so to speak to the point they were also destroyed.  I collect the FFs  from La Prensa as well  FF  1  which I have there are 10 known examples only. well 11  another was found.  There is a Rawhide kid 17  out there.  The only person known to have it  is a long time Collector down in Mexico  and he isn't selling.    I like collecting these gems  as with the right amount of money I can turn up the U.S.  editions and complete my runs  .  these it  doesn't matter what you want to spend  it will take years of hunting to find them.

I had My Two Gun Kid 55  handy  to show the differences  it isn't the best example to show  the finer  printing inking on the cover.  But you will see the color are more subdued and more art is shown along the border as well as the word balloons are missing smaller  quite a bit of the times..  The size between the two is slightly different.  I know the 55 is a pence.  If everyone remembers I loved/ love my pence books.

DSCN0512.JPG

DSCN0513.JPG

DSCN0514.JPG

DSCN0515.JPG

DSCN0516.JPG

I just got this one.  This  shows what you find most of the times.  I needed the issue so I will upgrade later if I can.   

Also  just like the U.S. editions,  la Prensa  ran through the 1970's  and reprinted this material  as well.  Those are typically nicer and more common.

rhk.jpg

24 minutes ago, BrianR said:

I know the 55 is a pence.  If everyone remembers I loved/ love my pence books.

DSCN0513.JPG

Nice L Miller 6d stamp on your 9d TGK there Brian :)

Why have I never seen you in my Miller / pence threads? 

The Mexican copies are lovely :luhv:

Just now, Get Marwood & I said:

Nice L Miller 6d stamp on your 9d TGK there Brian :)

Why have I never seen you in my Miller / pence threads? 

The Mexican copies are lovely :luhv:

I pretty much stopped posting and seriously collecting for a couple years.  The Foreign editions and the hunt for something new and harder to obtain brought me back to collecting more.  I have  quite a few UK  books,  I not only collect the pnece books,  but the Allan class,  L Miller  and the weekly stuff.

Just now, BrianR said:

I pretty much stopped posting and seriously collecting for a couple years.  The Foreign editions and the hunt for something new and harder to obtain brought me back to collecting more.  I have  quite a few UK  books,  I not only collect the pnece books,  but the Allan class,  L Miller  and the weekly stuff.

My kind of collector. Lots of pence links in my 'about me' profile tab if you're ever at a loose end Brian. And a Miller one too :headbang:

1 minute ago, Get Marwood & I said:

My kind of collector. Lots of pence links in my 'about me' profile tab if you're ever at a loose end Brian. And a Miller one too :headbang:

I have  been  buying the Allan Class  collection (pedigree)   as I can .  nice clean examples.    Miller is difficult to find good examples of  most copies I find have staple rust and the spines are shot.

1 minute ago, BrianR said:

I have  been  buying the Allan Class  collection (pedigree)   as I can .  nice clean examples.    Miller is difficult to find good examples of  most copies I find have staple rust and the spines are shot.

I feel your pain Brian. A common problem for Charlton Pence Millers too. You've seen the 30th Century Comics Alan Class inventory I take it?