• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Westerns (Silver Age)
7 7

2,225 posts in this topic

Why you rootin tootin side-windin yellow-bellied cyotes....here are some of those thar Annie Oaklies...she's a right purdy lil gal...specially with those city-slicker Andru and Esposito fellers a'drawin her.

AO_06.jpg

AO_07.jpg

AO_10.jpg

As a fan of early Marvel westerns, I was pleased when these two arrived today courtesy of Harley Yee.

Gunsmoke Western #71 July 1962 (May 1962, newsstand)

GW71FJul62.jpg

Gunsmoke Western #74 January 1963 (November 1962, newsstand)

GW74FJan63.jpg

Two covers that just might make the top 5 for Gunsmoke Western #50-77

As a fan of early Marvel westerns, I was pleased when these two arrived today courtesy of Harley Yee.

GW71FJul62.jpg

GW74FJan63.jpg

Nice.....my buddy, Lewis was nailing down high grade copies of the westerns and the pre heros back in the early 80's when they were 20 bucks a pop. His collection makes me very jealous. I just took out my Rawhide Kid Masterworks a couple of weeks ago....the Kirby westerns are SO cool....never get tired of them. My friend Wayne, an LCS owner, picked up a real nice collection that have the owners name neatly signed at the top....but otherwise VF and some better. I was broke but he may still have some next time I'm there. There were several Kirby covers in there I'd never seen......I love it when that happens. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

GW71FJul62.jpg

GW74FJan63.jpg

Those books are superb, well done. :applause:

It was only superheroes and barbarians for me when collected as a kid in the early 70s. Since my return to comics in 2004, I have developed an interest in the history of Marvel and all its titles from its early period. These were the books that you'd find as a second-hand treasure in the local smoke shop or, as with Gunsmoke Western, never even knew existed.

I have come to enjoy the Westerns (1958 through 1965). The characters were heroes whose quaint motivation was to do the right thing. In a modern era of anti-hero, violence and shock, it's nice to read books where the challenge was in being true to one's values.

Of course, the stories are formulaic which means I will soon tire of them --perhaps after reading another two or three thousand.

Nice Two-Gun Kid and historically significant.

As you probably know, Goodman cancelled the bi-monthly Kid at #59 and My Girl Pearl at #11 to replace them with Amazing Adventures -- a monthly book until Amazing Fantasy #15.

Of course, Two-Gun returned to the newsstands in August of 1962 as Matt Hawk after the cancellation of Amazing Fantasy.