• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Westerns (Silver Age)
7 7

2,225 posts in this topic

I'd heard that D.C. had hired some guys to drive a truck over each early Marvel after it came off the press, so they would look inferior to their products on the stands. They must have missed that copy for some reason. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I'm also wondering if there is going to be a price correction in Overstreet for some of these books over the grade of Fine. The lower grades still go pretty cheap, but once you find a decent copy you almost have to fight for them when you see them.

I believe this was asked before, but do you know if other Peds had these early SA westerns in them?

To the best of my knowledge, only the Mass collection has the early Kirby westerns. The Boston westerns start in 1965. I asked Jerry Weist about any White Mountain Marvel westerns and he thinks there might have been as many as a dozen but can't remember for sure. No Curators. Someone said there might be come Circle 8 books but I haven't seen any.

Man, you are on a roll. Another crisp copy. (thumbs u

Not nearly as sweet as a lot of your books, but definitely a keeper. As you mentioned you have to grabbed them as you see them. I feel pretty lucky to find these last two Gunsmoke Westerns in great shape and under guide.

A two day early Christmas gift.

A nice copy of Gunsmoke Western 50 that presents extremely well. OSPG mentioned Kirby art inside, but there is none. Still a great cover and book.

gunsmoke50.jpg

The Davis cover is a nice consolation for the lack of Kirby inside. Did he do any other Atlas covers?

He did at least a few other Atlas western interiors and covers, but I'm blanking out on which at the moment.

Okay, even though I have some of these, ye olde Grand Comics Database helped me out.

Two Gun Kid, 45, 46, 47 - covers and stories

Rawhide Kid 33, 34, 35 - stories only

Gunsmoke Western 37, 50, 52, 54, 55 stories w/ covers on 50 and 54

Frontier Western 5 - story

Wyatt Earp 21, cover, 25 story

Plus stories in battle 66 and 67.

Edited by Dick Pontoon

Half a dozen covers - not a lot, but a cool little subset. Too bad that Matt Baker didn't do any Atlas western covers as well ( unless there are some not in the GCD ).

I love this thread as I feel I've seen pretty much all the Atlas/Marvel pre-hero and superhero covers many times over, but am constantly seeing books for the first time here. I was never much of a western comics fan, but Atlas has far and away the best covers in the genre.