• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Westerns (Silver Age)
7 7

2,225 posts in this topic

I have the same problem. My first exposure was in Mad, and the illustration work he did for ads, magazines, posters, etc. When I read his EC stories, I struggle to take them seriously.

I have no problem taking Davis seriously. His E.C. war stuff cured me of the "Mad" syndrome.

Wow, great cover that I don't think I've noticed before. That's one of the things I love about the Marvel Westerns... fun stuff that I haven't seen dozens of copies of.

A two day early Christmas gift.

A nice copy of Gunsmoke Western 50 that presents extremely well. OSPG mentioned Kirby art inside, but there is none. Still a great cover and book.

gunsmoke50.jpg

The Davis cover is a nice consolation for the lack of Kirby inside. Did he do any other Atlas covers?

Just to bump the thread. A modest KCO from the newsstand of June 1964.

KCO118FSep64.jpg

KCO118RSep64.jpg

I didn't see the glue/syrup stain until scanning a week or so after purchase (upper right back cover).

I bought this a couple of months ago and kept it out of my collection because I was kicking myself for being careless in examining the book. But as time passes, I am coming to like it more and more as the cover colours are fresh and unbelievably glossy -- the pages are white.

He(Jack Davis) did at least a few other Atlas western interiors and covers:

Two Gun Kid, 45, 46, 47 - covers and stories

Rawhide Kid 33, 34, 35 - stories only

Gunsmoke Western 37, 50, 52, 54, 55 stories w/ covers on 50 and 54

Frontier Western 5 - story

Wyatt Earp 21, cover, 25 story

Plus stories in Battle 66 and 67.

Interesting! From Frontier Western 5:

01_davis_fronwest_05.jpg

(thumbs u

Cool Ghost Riders, Nick. :headbang:

Indeed...like a box of chocolate, you never know what you are going to get. I am boxing up things to move and clearing under the beds and closets...and among the "junks", there are a few nuggets.