• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Westerns (Silver Age)
7 7

2,225 posts in this topic

Definitely one of the best of the Marvel Westerns. We should do a poll for top 5 or 10

heres my candidates:

Rawhide Kid 17

Rawhide Kid 22

Rawhide Kid 23

Two Gun Kid 58

Two Gun Kid 60

Kid Colt 100

Kid Colt 107

The next three get more difficult.

Kid Colt 93 Ghost cover

Kid Colt 106 posible Ringmaster Circus Crime prototype

...plus maybe other tenuous super-hero "prototype" issues like Kid Colt 114 Iron Mask

I'd add Rawhide Kid 39 in before any kinda/maybe super hero prototype books....King Kong cover swipe.

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Rawhide_Kid_Vol_1_39

We're kind of in the process of sorting those out currently. Read back a couple pages and stay tuned!

I'll also nominate the "Black Rider Rides Again" one-shot as a SA Marvel western of particular interest!

rawhide%2039_zpsndkmhj8o.jpg

The Kid is about to get "Donkey Konged" :facepalm:

The perspective here seems off. The guy in the purple coat hanging out the window is either a giant or was drawn too large. And the guy with the yellow glove pointing up (and his buddies) also seems large compared with the saloon he's in front of. hm

Yeah. Although the guys in from may be supposed to be on a roof across the street, or a balcony. Biggest problem is that the ape building is adjacent to the guy in window building, so the perspective is all off.

Makes me think the tiny sized ape was always a factor that made me less impressed by this cover. A Huuuge ape would have been much more dramatic!

That cover is just a miss, I must admit. I can only imagine that it was a real rush job and there was either no time to redo or, because it was a western, no one thought it was worth redoing!

Consider some of the covers that Kirby and Romita turned in that Stan rejected.

I looked again and Kirby did draw a balcony for the guys in lower left. But window guy is huge. Probably because he made him same size as Rawhide Kid cause the perspective was going to be Wong either way, if he was same size as window proportions RK would have been too big.

But that would have been better as the ape would have been more Titano sized,

Anyway, cover should have been more like the Flash 127 with Grodd holding Flash above his huge ape body.. Plus some townspeople running around scared!