7 7

1,590 posts in this topic

55,607 posts
Just got this back from CGC. Pretty happy :whee:

RAWHIDE KID 19 Mass Copy White pages

12-21-10003.jpg

:o :o :o :o :o

55,607 posts
I am trying to get the run of 17 to 34. I got a looooooong way to go.

I've got a run....

Avg. grade = Good+

:insane:

28,300 posts

I'd heard that D.C. had hired some guys to drive a truck over each early Marvel after it came off the press, so they would look inferior to their products on the stands. They must have missed that copy for some reason. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

266 posts
so is it safe to infer from a 9.2 #19 that there exists a comparable HG Mass copy of 17 and 23?

There are Mass copies of the entire run but most of them are still hiding in collections.

9,046 posts

I believe this was asked before, but do you know if other Peds had these early SA westerns in them?

9,046 posts

I'm also wondering if there is going to be a price correction in Overstreet for some of these books over the grade of Fine. The lower grades still go pretty cheap, but once you find a decent copy you almost have to fight for them when you see them.

266 posts
I believe this was asked before, but do you know if other Peds had these early SA westerns in them?

To the best of my knowledge, only the Mass collection has the early Kirby westerns. The Boston westerns start in 1965. I asked Jerry Weist about any White Mountain Marvel westerns and he thinks there might have been as many as a dozen but can't remember for sure. No Curators. Someone said there might be come Circle 8 books but I haven't seen any.

54,139 posts

Strong prices for the HG Two-Gun Kid run in last week`s Heritage weekly auction.

$508 for #66 in 9.4, and $388 for several 9.4 and 9.6 issues in the 70s? Wow!

493 posts

Hey Tim, not seeing that on Heritage's website about the Two Gun Kid. Where are you seeing that........................Monte.

266 posts
55,607 posts
54,139 posts
I predict that in a year, the price on the #75 will have been a steal.

I take it you were the winner?

266 posts
I predict that in a year, the price on the #75 will have been a steal.

I take it you were the winner?

No. I was lucky to buy the Mass copy unslabbed earlier in the year and it came back 9.4 White so I sat this one out.

9,046 posts

A two day early Christmas gift.

A nice copy of Gunsmoke Western 50 that presents extremely well. OSPG mentioned Kirby art inside, but there is none. Still a great cover and book.

gunsmoke50.jpg

9,046 posts
Man, you are on a roll. Another crisp copy. (thumbs u

Not nearly as sweet as a lot of your books, but definitely a keeper. As you mentioned you have to grabbed them as you see them. I feel pretty lucky to find these last two Gunsmoke Westerns in great shape and under guide.

17,928 posts
A two day early Christmas gift.

A nice copy of Gunsmoke Western 50 that presents extremely well. OSPG mentioned Kirby art inside, but there is none. Still a great cover and book.

gunsmoke50.jpg

The Davis cover is a nice consolation for the lack of Kirby inside. Did he do any other Atlas covers?

16,328 posts

He did at least a few other Atlas western interiors and covers, but I'm blanking out on which at the moment.

Okay, even though I have some of these, ye olde Grand Comics Database helped me out.

Two Gun Kid, 45, 46, 47 - covers and stories

Rawhide Kid 33, 34, 35 - stories only

Gunsmoke Western 37, 50, 52, 54, 55 stories w/ covers on 50 and 54

Frontier Western 5 - story

Wyatt Earp 21, cover, 25 story

Plus stories in battle 66 and 67.

Edited by Dick Pontoon

54,139 posts

Having grown up reading Jack Davis in Mad, I chuckle even when I see his "serious" work.

16,328 posts

I have the same problem. My first exposure was in Mad, and the illustration work he did for ads, magazines, posters, etc. When I read his EC stories, I struggle to take them seriously.