• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Westerns (Silver Age)
7 7

2,225 posts in this topic

Those are some great books!!!

I am finding it harder and harder to find decent copies of books I want out there. Last week there was a nice KC 103 for auction I contacted a seller about it and asked if he could change the auction to a buy it now which he did and someone swiped it before I had realized the seller changed the format for me. I actually started to act like one of the rude ebayers for a moment and realized stuff happens and appologized. It was one of those fustrating moments when you ask for something someone else unknowingly swoops in a snags the prize, hopefully it went to a nice collector.

I did pick up this lower grade copy of Wyatt Earp 25 that presents extremely well. I will need to upgrade when I find a nicer copy. Its a great Kirby cover, but it looks as though he had some help with Wyatt's head, possibly more.

scan0001-11.jpg

Certainly some "help" given to Kirby there; in the face and perhaps the hands of the bad guy. Another instance of another artist doing a series' well-known face. The King rarely had time for portraiture. Like Al Plastino doing Superman's face on Jimmy Olsen.

I did pick up this lower grade copy of Wyatt Earp 25 that presents extremely well. I will need to upgrade when I find a nicer copy. Its a great Kirby cover, but it looks as though he had some help with Wyatt's head, possibly more.

scan0001-11.jpg

Very cool bro! I started that with issue #26 up (1/60)...never saw that cover... :headbang:

Certainly some "help" given to Kirby there; in the face and perhaps the hands of the bad guy. Another instance of another artist doing a series' well-known face. The King rarely had time for portraiture. Like Al Plastino doing Superman's face on Jimmy Olsen.

I would respectfully disagree. I don't believe there was any "well-known face" that needed to be adhered to. I think it's all Kirby.

Maneely's interpretations varied.

WE12M.jpg

WE18M.jpg

WE19M.jpg

As did Severin's take on Earp.

WE10S.jpg

WE23S.jpg

Even Jack Davis had take on Earp.

WE21D.jpg

So Kirby's interpretations weren't "out of place".

WE24K.jpg

WE26K.jpg

WE25K.jpg

All above covers are from the GCD.

If you look at his cover of Bullseye from 1955, you can see the same face in Kirby's natives as in Earp on the cover of WE 25, above. In particular, take a good look at the native on the right.

B6June1955.jpg

Image from the KIrby Museum/Simon and Kirby Blog.

Kirby penciled this cover and co-inked with Joe Simon.

Just bought this tonight. I can't wait to see it in person. I overpaid and used some funds I was saving for books I wanted to pull the tigger on here on the boards. These Westerns are such a pain to find in any sort of decent shape I had to pull the trigger after a couple hrs of debating with myself

I'll try to post a scan of the book again once its in hand.

KGrHqQOKpEE1rfzz9BNhhnWN5g_3.jpg

Just bought this tonight. I can't wait to see it in person. I overpaid and used some funds I was saving for books I wanted to pull the tigger on here on the boards. These Westerns are such a pain to find in any sort of decent shape I had to pull the trigger after a couple hrs of debating with myself

I saw that one. Very tuff book to find at all in any shape! I thought the sellers buy it now price was pretty strong. Looks like a soild copy! I hope it presents that nice in hand! Nice pickup! :applause:

Scarce is an understatment for this book. That's one heck of a copy. Congratulations :acclaim:

Edited by crimson dynamo

I have one Rawhide Kid comic in my collection. It is a nice G/VG copy of this book. Lot's of general wear, but solidly intact.

I have no idea where I got it.

Scarce is an understatment for this book. That's one heck of a copy. Congratulations :acclaim:

Thanks guys. The market on these books is definitely changing. Competition is getting stronger all the time while anything mid grade or higher is popping up less and less. These have commanded over guide since I have been collecting them, but lately if its a nice copy you can completely throw the guide out the window.

Edited by BrianR

lol

hm Looks like he has a few RK 17s, too.

I hope that the market isn't changing too much since I collect these books. lol

I tend to think the Western market is a niche segment, I'm not sure if I see these ever taking off the way the early superhero books have. I wouldn't be surprised if board members make up at least half of the collecting base.

Probably true. While Marvel westerns may not ever be in demand like the hero books, I can see them hitting the pre-hero Marvel level.

.....the pre heros have Kirby and Ditko in almost every issue. I think that drives those prices. The westerns are still pretty neat, I like 'em. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Probably true. While Marvel westerns may not ever be in demand like the hero books, I can see them hitting the pre-hero Marvel level.

.....the pre heros have Kirby and Ditko in almost every issue. I think that drives those prices. The westerns are still pretty neat, I like 'em. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Great point. I'll alter my statement to "Kirby westerns"!

I just wanted to ask...did anyone here win a Kid Colt #98 off ebay the other day. I wanted to set a snipe...and forgot... :tonofbricks: It sold for 13 bucks... :mad: :mad: :mad: and the copy looked niceeeee! :cry::cry::cry:

:banana:

:baiting:

I forgot about it, too.

doh!

Although I do have a slabbed copy and just wanted a reader.