• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Westerns (Silver Age)
7 7

2,225 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, AJCohen said:

So I just picked up my first Two Gun Kid 60 and waiting for it to arrive.  I am a big silver age Marvel collector with a mix of DC and a touch of pre hero monster and some golden and silver horror here and there. I understand that TGK 60 is important as a Marvel key since it is first appearance and origin of new TGK Matt Hawk asa Marvel book but does it make it more collectible that TGK 1? Also why is Raw Hide Kid 17 more important that RHK 1 if they are both Atlas? I keep hearing everyone say TGK 60 and RHK 17 are the keys? I understand RHK 17 tells the origin but RHK 1 is the first appearance? 

Pardon my ignorance. Please impart your wisdom if you have time. Thanks again!

The 60 and the 17 introduce the characters that were the mainstays of the Marvel SA dynasty… as far as westerns go. They were modified to fit into Stan's new approach. The RHK 1 and TGK 1 are both considered GA  by many collectors. They are still both # 1's of long running titles and are definitely not junk. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I do not consider Rawhide Kid 17 to be Atlas. If it's post-implosion, it's Marvel*. All books mentioned are cool, but Marvel collectors are voracious, and they want ALL Marvel keys; Rawhide Kid 17and Two-Gun Kid 60 are Marvel keys, so they are targeted by silver age collectors. Far fewer Atlas western collectors out there.

* Just my opinion, but I really believe it. Applies to PHMs too.

5 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

I do not consider Rawhide Kid 17 to be Atlas. If it's post-implosion, it's Marvel*. All books mentioned are cool, but Marvel collectors are voracious, and they want ALL Marvel keys; Rawhide Kid 17and Two-Gun Kid 60 are Marvel keys, so they are targeted by silver age collectors. Far fewer Atlas western collectors out there.

* Just my opinion, but I really believe it. Applies to PHMs too.

RK 17 is the first Lee/Kirby hero collaboration of the SA, no? 

1 hour ago, buttock said:

RK 17 is the first Lee/Kirby hero collaboration of the SA, no? 

Yes, if you're talking true collaboration.  

Rawhide Kid 17 is a huge book. I consider it the first hint of the Marvel Method. It's their first time dealing with any real continuity as a team.

Edited by KirbyJack

2 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

Yes, if you're talking true collaboration.  

Rawhide Kid 17 is a huge book. I consider it the first hint of the Marvel Method. It's their first time dealing with any real continuity as a team.

The second effort is Dr. Droom in Amazing Adventures 1 from 6/61 …. kind of a rough draft of Dr. Strange …. it lasted for several issues. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

A book you don't see often - the pence copy of the 'final' Wyatt Earp. Before the gap I mean. It has a Miller indicia, which is cool.

And some rather splendid anatomy on the cover :bigsmile:

1576286243_WyattEarp299dLM-C.thumb.jpg.483bc4993778762b600afdd6f9b6bf56.jpg

8 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

A book you don't see often - the pence copy of the 'final' Wyatt Earp. Before the gap I mean. It has a Miller indicia, which is cool.

:golfclap:

I knew you'd get this! Doesn't look bad does it? (thumbsu

2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

:golfclap:

I knew you'd get this! Doesn't look bad does it? (thumbsu

Cheers Bob. I can't tell you how great it is to finally have it :cloud9:

(Like the new avatar by the way)

On 11/16/2019 at 5:53 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Wow! I rate Wyatt Earp up there among Marvel's very greatest titles.

(thumbsu

2 minutes ago, Hepcat said:

Wow! I rate Wyatt Earp up there among Marvel's very greatest titles.

(thumbsu

Thanks Hep. The pence copy has been on my wants list for many years. It's the only one I've ever seen in hand, and only the second in any format. Some of the early pence copies are becoming ridiculously scarce now. Not necessarily worth a great deal, but rarer than hen's teeth.

Here's how I came about it....

Rawhide kid 22 and 23. 22 is the monster cover. 23 is his full origin.  Non keys but scarce and better to own in grade would be rawhide kid under 30, kid colt under 110 and two gun kid under 70.  They are scarier than later issues, but nothing special content wise. There’s also the black panther cover in Two gun kid, and an iron man type villain in Id colt.  I forget the issue numbers .  Oh and kid colt has a Monster cover And a Ghost cover that stand out. 

Edited by Aman619

1 hour ago, Aman619 said:

Rawhide kid 22 and 23. 22 is the monster cover. 23 is his full origin.  Non keys but scarce and better to own in grade would be rawhide kid under 30, kid colt under 110 and two gun kid under 70.  They are scarier than later issues, but nothing special content wise. There’s also the black panther cover in Two gun kid,

77.thumb.jpg.6fa0a0aa78dd2a5e07c6b51ee717bb2e.jpg

and an iron man type villain in Id colt.

Kid Colt #110 and 114

110.thumb.jpg.868fb8d00dfa086518c2581220ef1d4f.jpg114.jpg.d45efcc30cc71d312aa27c5afaac9772.jpg

I forget the issue numbers .  Oh and kid colt has a Monster cover And a Ghost cover that stand out. 

107 for the Kirby big panty monster and 102 for the ghost. 102 is a really tough issue to find in grade due to the black cover. Tough full stop actually. 

102.thumb.jpg.563ea9597684347a0f7be7f2f5074d9f.jpg107.thumb.jpg.8e1fde706d001e4b494740309887e303.jpg